User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #181
Spooch
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Got my plate today!

Received my plate today and what seems to be the registration. The registration is a copy of the the form I filled out with some markings on it and a stamp with the date and some other numbers including the fee I paid. Is this my registration?
Spooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #182
Tr25w
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
This works in California? I have a 69 z50 I want street legal.
Tr25w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #183
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooch View Post
Received my plate today and what seems to be the registration. The registration is a copy of the the form I filled out with some markings on it and a stamp with the date and some other numbers including the fee I paid. Is this my registration?
Read up-thread

You'll get a sticker and a real registration card within a couple weeks. Until then, that form is your registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr25w View Post
This works in California? I have a 69 z50 I want street legal.
If it's not actually street legal, a Vermont registration isn't going to help you. Even if Vermont plates it by mistake (unlikely), California will refuse to register it. If you're trying to dualsport it, just do it legally in California; the "no more dualsporting" rule changes a few years back were emissions-related, so they don't apply to bikes older than 1978.

der_saeufer screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 11:49 PM
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #184
Spooch
n00b

Thanks der_saeufer.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #185
Spooch
n00b

Received the registration card and sticker yesterday. I checked the Vermont DMV website and it says vehicle must be inspected within a certain amount of days. Will they revoke your registration if the bike is not inspected?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #186
CJBDRdude
Dirtyrider

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooch View Post
Received the registration card and sticker yesterday. I checked the Vermont DMV website and it says vehicle must be inspected within a certain amount of days. Will they revoke your registration if the bike is not inspected?

Nope! I've had a VT. registered/plated (73 Ossa) and (84 Suzuki PE) for several years. Never had an inspection done and I live in NY about 1/2 hour away from Bennington DMV. I only use the bikes maybe once or twice a year and its very little pavement time since they're offroad bikes, so I don't bother with inspection. Never had anyone or anything sent to me revoking anything. Just pay up the renewal in the spring and I'm good to go!
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #187
Spooch
n00b

Thanks CJBDRdude!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #188
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Under 300cc doesn't require inspection. Don't know what size bikes you are comparing
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #189
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Under 300cc doesn't get a title.

If you've registered your bike, you're supposed to be inspected yearly.
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #190
CJBDRdude
Dirtyrider

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvt View Post

True - in any state I would guess, but I'm not going to put on a whole of of street legal stuff & dual sport tires, to go to VT. to get them inspected, just to come home and take all this stuff off to ride trails!
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #191
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBDRdude View Post
True - in any state I would guess, but I'm not going to put on a whole of of street legal stuff & dual sport tires, to go to VT. to get them inspected, just to come home and take all this stuff off to ride trails!
I totally understand, I might not if I didn't live here. And it can depend on how particular your inspection guy is too. But most seem to be cool with knobbies & battered license plates.

My comment was referring to the post just above mine.
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #192
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvt View Post

But it's only enforced by the cops, unlike other states like Mass. where your registration gets suspended if the registry computer doesn't show an inspection. DAMHIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBDRdude View Post
Move to the West. What's an inspection (emissions tests for cars in cities, but we don't have "safety" inspections west of the Rockies at all, except Utah)
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #193
nickyhype
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Just wanted to check if anyone on here had any success doing this from Mass. I just bought my first bike, no title or last registration and got shut down by the RMV when I went to register. I'm planning on trying the VT route but wanted to see if anyone had any issues transferring the plates at the Mass RMV. The VIN on the bike is clean. It's a 1972 CB350.
nickyhype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #194
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Vermont to Ohio works very well

After getting my Vermont plates three months back. I did get stopped by police in my village there was no problem even though my drivers license was Ohio and my tags where Vermont. She asked about it and I said I registered it in Vermont. She was fine with that as everything was legal with documents. Today I made the final step and registered it in Ohio because it was a state to state transfer it was seamless and quick. The title office asked about the registration not being a title. I explained the no title law in Vermont for older bike. She briefly checked her computer then made out a new title. I then got my new plates and registration for Ohio. I was required to get an inspection at the license office. The inspection was to record the frame vin number onto a form that I was to take to the title office to get the title. Everyone was friendly helpful and quick.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #195
Grifter_500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Does it work for IN

Thank you for this great info. I am getting ready to trade a old car for a 1981 Honda CX-500. No title on the CX-500 so I am going to try this to get one. I am in Indiana which do title older bikes.

I will have a Bill of Sale from the sale and have checked to make sure the bike is not stolen. My biggest question is has anyone else done this in Indiana and also with the Cx-500 being 497cc does it fall in the under 500 cc category?

Any help would be a huge benefit. Thanks in advance. I stumbled upon this thread while searching google on how best to get a title for this bike. I just want to say what a great group of people and huge help this seems to be.
Grifter_500 is offline   Reply With Quote