Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #211
Spitfire151
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Been a while since I posted on here. To recap, I live in PA bought a bike I can't track down the title for, wanted to avoid going through the long and expensive court process so I did the VT deal and it worked like a champ but I've been wondering if I can transfer it to PA and negate the previous old title? Or would I be charged for a crime of some sort? I originally did a VIN lookup to make sure the bike isn't listed as stolen and has no liens, it came back completely fine. It's getting time to renew the VT and I'm either going to do that, try to transfer to PA, or buy a titled frame. Any input or guidance would be MOST appreciated. Love this thread.
Spitfire151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #212
D0N1
Banned

Oddometer: 11
Thumb worked for me... again!

Gotta love Vermont! ALl states DMVs should be as simple.

My ATK 260LQ is now street legal thanks to the great folks at the DMV in Vermont. On the first try, I got a letter back stating that the amount I had sent in was incorrect and they wanted me to take my motorcycle to a Vermont DMV inspection station.

Normally, I would have given up after saying to myself... Well, they're on to me. They know that an ATK 260LQ is a strict dirt bike with no lights or safety equipment and can't possibly be street legal.

However, I instead wrote them back a short letter stating that the bike has everything needed to be street legal (ok so I lied!? It will SOON have all needed lights after I put them on), it is over 15 years old and is under 300cc's so I was hoping to register it without too much redtape. I sent in a new check for the correct amount and the hand written letter & I waited.

Today a heavy manilla envelope arrive from Vermont! I dropped it by mistake and it made a metallic noise! Hmmm, what could that be?!

D0N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #213
D0N1
Banned

Oddometer: 11
Spitfire, yes you can transfer the VT registration to your state. That's the whole purpose of registering the bike in VT. Just walk into your DMV, make out the proper forms and tell them you'd like to register this motorcycle in your own state.

SIMPLE.
D0N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #214
Tr25w
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I don't have a title and want a call green sticker, can I still use this method ?
Tr25w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #215
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr25w View Post
I don't have a title and want a call green sticker, can I still use this method ?
No. License plates are for street-legal bikes only, even in Vermont :)
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #216
swooshdave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Has anyone successfully titled a bike in North Carolina with the Vermont registration? I've heard that NC is a pain in the ass.
swooshdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #217
CS_0427
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire151 View Post
Been a while since I posted on here. To recap, I live in PA bought a bike I can't track down the title for, wanted to avoid going through the long and expensive court process so I did the VT deal and it worked like a champ but I've been wondering if I can transfer it to PA and negate the previous old title? Or would I be charged for a crime of some sort? I originally did a VIN lookup to make sure the bike isn't listed as stolen and has no liens, it came back completely fine. It's getting time to renew the VT and I'm either going to do that, try to transfer to PA, or buy a titled frame. Any input or guidance would be MOST appreciated. Love this thread.
Title laws are generally geared to prevent fraud- specifically the titling of stolen vehicles. You're not doing that.

Technically, the old PA title was negated once the bike was registered in VT. Think of it as if VT sent you a title- the registration card is their legal process. If you bought the same bike outright in VT, this is all you'd have for PA. States are generally required to accept similar documents from other states, otherwise people moving could never change their stuff over.
CS_0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #218
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS_0427 View Post
Title laws are generally geared to prevent fraud- specifically the titling of stolen vehicles. You're not doing that.

Technically, the old PA title was negated once the bike was registered in VT. Think of it as if VT sent you a title- the registration card is their legal process. If you bought the same bike outright in VT, this is all you'd have for PA. States are generally required to accept similar documents from other states, otherwise people moving could never change their stuff over.
I think what Spitfire (and others) is asking is has anyone done this in PA and if so did it work IN PENNSYLVANIA? The devil is in the details when it comes to legal issues.

I too am very interested in the answer to that question.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #219
Acwells
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I recently did this with my 2000 tm racing 250. In two weeks I received my plate and temporary registration, a couple days later received the actual registration, and yesterday received a letter stating that my VIN does not meet VIN standards and I need to have it verified before they can finish processing my application.
Acwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #220
Spitfire151
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
I think what Spitfire (and others) is asking is has anyone done this in PA and if so did it work IN PENNSYLVANIA? The devil is in the details when it comes to legal issues.

I too am very interested in the answer to that question.

^^Precisely!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #221
CS_0427
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Another success story, my tag came today. Only took like a week after I sent the money!
CS_0427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #222
Grifter_500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Just sent in my money and forms. Hopefully this works. I'll update everyone once I find out. I am in Indiana by the way so if this does work I will let everyone know if I am able to get a Indiana title when it is all said and done as well.
Grifter_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #223
Spitfire151
Adventurer

Also, just a note, or question really. What VT sends is only a registration not a title, PA requires a title as proof of ownership. Or is what VT sends considered a title?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #224
mort71
Apehangers

Oddometer: 51
I used this company years ago for bikes with no titles, INTERNATIONAL TITLE SERVICE, out of Las Vegas Nevada, and always got titles from them, BUT times have changed and most of the states have changed the laws about untitled bikes. I see now on their website under titles 1997 and older, that if you scroll down to motorcycles 500 cc or larger, and click on it, the State of Vermont Dept of Motor Vechicles application comes up, looks like one of the few states left that might or will work for getting a bike title. I no longer buy bikes without a title, but there are so many nice old ones out there without titles.
2004 Harley Sporty

mort71 screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 11:04 AM
mort71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #225
OLS
n00b

Oddometer: 2
A couple questions, the bike I'm going to try to do this with has no previous registration records on it. It's a 59 BSA road bike and never came with a odometer(it was a factory option), so no numbers are available to give here. Can I put N/A here?

Also the Bill of Sale, has the following information on it. The VIN, purchase date, sellers address, make, model, sellers signature with the statement that payment was received in full.

It's lacking, the odometer reading, purchase price, and my signature.

Is this a substantial Bill of Sale to send in?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort71 View Post
I used this company years ago for bikes with no titles, INTERNATIONAL TITLE SERVICE, out of Las Vegas Nevada, and always got titles from them, BUT times have changed and most of the states have changed the laws about untitled bikes. I see now on their website under titles 1997 and older, that if you scroll down to motorcycles 500 cc or larger, and click on it, the State of Vermont Dept of Motor Vechicles application comes up, looks like one of the few states left that might or will work for getting a bike title. I no longer buy bikes without a title, but there are so many nice old ones out there without titles.
I want to add here since their has been some talk about ITS. They have a F rating on the BBB and have been scamming people since the new owners have taken over. DO NOT USE ITS titling service.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote