User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #406
dudewhatsupyo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
This works in Kansas.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to vouch that this does work in KS. I bought a 600cc 1987 yamaha from a guy off craigslist for $250, non running, no title. I got it running after a good carb cleaning and I checked the vin online and it was clean. I then found this thread and decided to go for the VT registration.

Here are my thoughts:

1. When filling out the VT paperwork do it on your computer in the PDF format, as previous posts have said this makes your paperwork look more official and less questionable.

2. If you are buying a bike with no title get Vermont's official Bill of Sale paperwork and fill out as much of it as you can with the computer instead of by hand.. adding to the more official appearance.

3. If your bike is over 500cc you can avoid having a VIN inspection by "accidentally" putting 499cc or less in the corresponding box on the VT paperwork. (This is where the 'official' look of your application comes in handy. It makes things much less questionable)

4. Send all of your paperwork in with the appropriate fee and get your VT registration and tag in the mail in about a week and a half. (I called VT dmv every day and I actually received my tag and reg in the mail before they even had record of my applcation)

5. Drive your bike!

6. When you decide to get it registered in your state give your local tag office a call! I was in contact with my tag office and told them about the VT laws and they looked it up and told me everything clear and it wouldn't be a problem.

7. In KS you must get a VIN inspection on all out of state vehicles. Luckily my tag office was right across the parking lot from the Vin inspection. I started at the tag office, told them about VT laws and they verified the law by going to the VT dmv website. The tag office printed off a sheet and told me to show it to the inspection officer. I walked to the inspection area and told them the situation, they looked at the paperwork and carried on.

8. I went back to the tag office and after the employee spend 20min in the back "clearing the old title" she gave me my tag and registration! My title is in the mail now.

Tips:

Be in contact with the tag office, this will potentially prevent you from having to go to the city clerks office to get official verification.

Go on a busy day at the tag office or Vin inspection station!! They will be much less curious about the situation since they have so many more people to take care of.

Be as kind as possible to the people you are in contact with. They will be much more accommodating if they like you...and they will ask you fewer questions. But be firm if they say no.

Have some sort of a story ready if they ask you where you got your bike.

If they say no, go again on a different day!

Great thread. This saved me about $1,000 by avoiding all of the attorney costs with a "quiet title" in KS.

Thanks guys!
dudewhatsupyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #407
dudewhatsupyo
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lost_sauce View Post
So I was super excited to go through this process for my 84 honda magna. But Kansas will not issue a vin inspection without a title. So I'm stuck in limbo. Can anybody help with steroids around this stupid requirement

See my post. If that doesn't help, get in touch the the county clerks office and tell them to write you a letter that you can give to the VIN inspection officer.
dudewhatsupyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #408
fehrstephen
n00b

Oddometer: 1
My dilemma

I live in Florida and I'm trying to fix my dads old 1973 triumph trident 850cc, and the first thing i need to get strait is the title. Back in the 80's my dad bought it, had the title signed over, but never finalized the paperwork, and rode around with a tag from another bike. Now, we lost the title and I'm scrambling for some way to get either a new title or find a way to register it without the title.

From all that I've read, I don't need a title to apply in Vermont because its over 15 years old, correct? In any case, from what I've explained, does it sound possible to take this route to get a title and registration? Thanks!

-Stephen
fehrstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #409
backroadbender
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
truck

Does this onley work for MC. ? or would it also apply to a truck ?
backroadbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:14 AM   #410
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Here's a dilemma ....

I bought a bike in June. Took the title to the DOL and switched it into my name. Moved back home weeks later and realized the address on my ID was inaccurate from the previous summer (2012). I never got the title. I assume it was mailed to the address on my ID and I never made an attempt to go there and see if it arrived other than one time. Tenant took my name and number but said they haven't seen anything.

What the fuck so I do here?? I've only bought two cars before and one motorcycle. Dont know what steps to take. Next time I know to lake sure my address is current when buying a vehicle.

Ps this motorcycle is my daily driver
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #411
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Go to VT DMV webpage and apply for a replacement and change of address. They will charge you money for it (of course), but it shouldn't be any real hassle otherwise.
'74 Jialonda XL70/125
www.possumliving.com
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #412
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
Here's a dilemma ....

I bought a bike in June. Took the title to the DOL and switched it into my name. Moved back home weeks later and realized the address on my ID was inaccurate from the previous summer (2012). I never got the title. I assume it was mailed to the address on my ID and I never made an attempt to go there and see if it arrived other than one time. Tenant took my name and number but said they haven't seen anything.

What the fuck so I do here?? I've only bought two cars before and one motorcycle. Dont know what steps to take. Next time I know to lake sure my address is current when buying a vehicle.

Ps this motorcycle is my daily driver
Wrong thread, this is a "how to plate title-less bikes in Vermont" thread

But, your title probably got returned by the post office. Either way, just go to the DOL and pay the man for a new one. If the registration's already in your name, it's no problem. If their computer indicates that they got it back, you might even get away without paying for it.

(and since when does WA mail titles? I remember getting mine instantly when I lived there)
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #413
Baroquenride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Wrong thread, this is a "how to plate title-less bikes in Vermont" thread

But, your title probably got returned by the post office. Either way, just go to the DOL and pay the man for a new one. If the registration's already in your name, it's no problem. If their computer indicates that they got it back, you might even get away without paying for it.

(and since when does WA mail titles? I remember getting mine instantly when I lived there)
He's right on all of this. Just go to the DMV and talk to them- title's already in your name.

der saeufer, they've been mailing titles for at least a year that I've lived in the state, lol.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #414
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
tHanks guys. I've just been procrastinating andniw that im back to work I forget until I get to work or its past 6pm.

They've always mailed them here as far as I know. Takes em 4-6 weeks for whatever reason.

Thanks again
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #415
NaughtySupermoto
n00b

I wonder if there's a way to title or register my 2012 SXF 350? The seller gave me an MSO in his name and a bill of sale. RI DMV says the MSO would have to be in my name in order to apply for a title and have it converted from dirt bike status to road legal motorcycle. Prior to sale the seller said he was willing to help get the bike titled, now that's he's been paid he refuses to help.

NaughtySupermoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #416
pgt400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Sounds like a perfect job for a scanner, color laser printer and photo shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtySupermoto View Post
I wonder if there's a way to title or register my 2012 SXF 350? The seller gave me an MSO in his name and a bill of sale. RI DMV says the MSO would have to be in my name in order to apply for a title and have it converted from dirt bike status to road legal motorcycle. Prior to sale the seller said he was willing to help get the bike titled, now that's he's been paid he refuses to help.

2012 FZ1
pgt400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #417
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
this may have been covered in the last 28 pages. However in Virginia you can get a title for an "abandoned" vehicle if it hasn't been titled in the last ten years. the process is easy, but it has a waiting period of like 30-45 days. it cost I think $50-60. The title is a normal title not a salvage title. I have done this and it works well.

So if you guys are struggling you may find a Virginia resident to help you out(not me, sorry) and then transfer the title to your state.
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #418
jmantz
n00b

Looking to purchase an 85 klr600. no title and in rough condition. since it's older than 15 years it should work correct? what do i have to do since it's over 300cc's? Thanks.
jmantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #419
tonusmaximus
maximus

Oddometer: 431
Bump for a buddy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
tonusmaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #420
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 675
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtySupermoto View Post

Post the mso and bill of sale. I may have an idea.
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote