Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #541
jmp5us
MY DUDE!

Oddometer: 23
yea i hear ya, I'm not sure what I'm going to do….

i don't know the people, and haven't even looked at the bike, i guess I'm going to check it out and feel it out.
jmp5us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #542
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Sent my stuff in to Vermont for my '82 XT 250 on March 31st.

Nothing yet. Tomorrow maybe….

Ended up taking all month. My fault, I forgot something on the form. I also sent to much money by a few cents, they sent it back to me once. But it's here now.

tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #543
Mcgreggerson
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Just noticed the check I wrote to vermont DMV went through, so I should probably expect it all in the mail over the next few days.
Mcgreggerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #544
JCW
n00b

Oddometer: 3
So I searched this thread for "Illinois" and didn't find anyone that documented success going through this process. That is getting an IL title.

I have a 1980 Yamaha xs850 that I purchased with a bill of sale in Wisconsin. No title. Did a vin search from the Illinois DMV site and the free vin look up and nothing showed up that it was registered in IL or was reported stolen.

From what I read on the Vermont DMV site, this vehicle does not need to be titled (more than 15 years old) and therefore does not require a visual inspection of the VIN. That's the good news.

So assuming I succeed in getting a VT plate and registration, has anyone had any luck getting a title in Illinois with it?

It's a state with a tough DMW at least up here around Chicago.

Edit- correction, looks like because I'm over 500cc I'll need a visual inspection. :(

JCW screwed with this post 05-01-2014 at 06:48 PM
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #545
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,006
JCW,

Seven years to make your first post. That has to be a record.

Good luck with getting your title. Hope you don't have to haul it to Vermont.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #546
JCW
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
JCW,

Seven years to make your first post. That has to be a record.

Good luck with getting your title. Hope you don't have to haul it to Vermont.
Can you believe I remembered my password? lol.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #547
Mcgreggerson
n00b

Plate came in today! got it mounted on the bike and it feels great!

just need the registration. So, confirmed that this works for an xs650. Going to attempt to title it in missouri after I get the registration and ride for a little bit.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #548
eddiet
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Ok I really want to title my bike that I recently purchased in Texas without a title without having to spend all the time and money on a bonded title. I am going to try the Vermont thing, but exactly which forms do I need to download and mail in. There are a ton of forms for registration for titling etc. Which do I need so I can make sure to complete this correctly and I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks in advance.
eddiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #549
n9viw
Seeker

Oddometer: 16
Mcgreggorson, where did you go for the VIN verification? The DMV around me won't do it, they say go to the State Police, who say to go to the DMV. Inspection stations can do it, but the ones around me don't want to. WTH!
n9viw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #550
JCW
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9viw View Post
Mcgreggorson, where did you go for the VIN verification? The DMV around me won't do it, they say go to the State Police, who say to go to the DMV. Inspection stations can do it, but the ones around me don't want to. WTH!
And the police just laugh at me when I ask for a vin verification without a title.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #551
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW View Post
And the police just laugh at me when I ask for a vin verification without a title.

Did you offer donuts? You're in Chicago, a little grease is expected, right?
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #552
Mcgreggerson
n00b

Well, I had a slightly odd circumstance, I had a title in hand, but a string of bills of sale leading to me, but the state didn't like that for an out of state title from 1994. I managed to contact the titled owner, but he would only send me a copy of the bill of sale from when he sold it, despite the laws saying that he needed to reclaim the title (it was signed, but "open") or give me a title transfer form. He told me to get lost and go for a bonded title, and was a bit of a dick about it. I had 2 buyers between me and the titled owner..

So, I just printed out my states vin verification paperwork and asked the local police to send an officer out. I told him what I was doing (working towards a title and just taking one step at a time) and showed him the paperwork that showed I was in legal possesion (in some cases, a bill of sale and you having possession of the bike works for a start) and he radioed in the vin, verified the info and signed off on it.

I took the missouri paperwork and sent off only the portion that verified the vin and had the required signature and information on it with the vermont paperwork. The point to make is be sure to explain how you got the bike, how you're trying to take the legal route (I got the vin verified while still trying to do it in my state), and if you have more problems, it'll be tough, but should be doable.

I should add that I took this route after almost 9 months of trying to do it the regular way in my state and getting the run around from the dor, dmv, etc. I could have done a bonded title, but it would take a bond of double the TOP value of the bike and 3 years to clear and get the money back. when I showed up with a title in hand and string of sale bills, i was told to "just go to the dmv" and at the dmv I was told (by a very unpleasant woman) to "contact the state and get a bonded title." So it was a circlejerk of a wild goose chase.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #553
n9viw
Seeker

Wow, McG, That's a bizarre tale! Transferring (or even being in possession of) an open title is illegal in most states, I wonder why nobody actually just signed and submitted it? It should have been an easy thing to say, "Guy A sold it to B, who sold it to C, who sold it to me, so essentially guy A sold it to me through these other guys," but you know how hardwired bureaucrats can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qileP4bAzek

I missed out on getting the ball rolling on my petition to acquire title this weekend; turns out the state is SERIOUS (or at least the inspection stations are) when they say they require mufflers! I talked to a guy, who told me he wouldn't inspect my bike for two reasons:
1) It's not running. It has to run to roll, so he can test the brakes. It's even better if I can ride it in ("But I can't ride it in, it's not road-legal yet!" He says, "Not my problem." )
2) Baffled straight pipes. He says, "No straight pipes. Uh-uh." I said, "But they've got baffles in em..." "Nope, gotta be mufflers. I don't care they ain't got nothin in em, but they gotta be there." Okay, FINE. Went out and bought a pair of friggin GLASSPACKS. Cheapest mufflers I could find on short notice that won't look like total crap.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread, I just had to vent. What's the takeaway for those contemplating the VT route? SEE? Re-read McG's post there, and follow along with my own escapades. THIS is why you skip the state and go to VT. WAY EASIER!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #554
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
What exactly is an "open title "?

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk 2

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #555
n9viw
Seeker

An open title is one that has been signed, but not dated. The title is supposed to be dated at the time of sale, signed by both parties, and summarily turned in for title transfer. To be in possession of an open title is actually illegal in most states. Stupid, I think, but whatever.

Since the title is open, it might be easier to simply forego the bill of sale thing, sign your name to the title, and turn it in. He signed it, you signed it, you dated it, fill out the necessary state forms for title transfer and be done with it. Nothing illegal about that.