OFWG

Oddometer: 446
Thumb

Enjoyed catching up.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #32
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,845
Well the last ride of 2013 wasn't epic , not even close. But, if you haven't been out and about for a while due to the weather , you take what you can get.

Ump and RoadRanga met at my house and then we took off for Danville. The Beer Engine doesn't open until 4 and that wasn't going to do it for us. It's game day for the U of L vs. U of K intrastate rivalry, gametime set at 4.

So we rode on.

Spotted a schulpture of a bike like thing on Main St.

And pretty much that was it for Danville, we did stop at a Mexican Resturant for a pitcher on XX beer and a tamale before riding off through the country and back to the house to watch the game.
Not a long ride ,but , we all really needed it.

First ride for 2014 for me was a quick blast around the county. Here's the Kentucky River.

And a snap of the sunset on the way home.

Right now it's warmer in Alaska than here in Kentucky. The Polar air that's covering more than half of the country has us in it's grip.
Stay warm, ride when you can.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #33
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Winter 2014, early part

Well official winter's not here yet , but, we've gotten past the first Polar Vortex and that's close enough.
So,

The usual suspects met at Duddle's and headed east. First stop the Kentucky River in Clark County.

RoadRanga was leading the rest to lunch, when Centerstand took the lead to his farm. We went a couple of miles on pave ,then a mile or so on gravel, then in and out of a creek , then on to some 4-wheeler tracks.

And after that , we did it in reverse.

Then on to Clay City for lunch a Kathy's Country Kitchen, yumm.
We saw some old cars on the way.

Packard/Studebaker.

and

My guess is a GM product. 6 cylinder OHV.

On the way back west after lunch, we rode to the confluance of the Red and Kentucky Rivers.

Then further on we had to let a coal train pass.

And then head home ,cause it gets dark at 6 PM this time of year.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #34
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

December 14th , 2 weeks since the last ride. I made some calls ,but, no takers this time. It's 47 degrees today vs. 60+ the last time.
Hey it's above freezeing in the middle of December ! Time to ride.
I needed to do an ass to seat interface test with the Corbin seat I got on e-bay for my '04 Road King.
So far I've had a Police air-ride solo :

I liked the look ,but, my legs were too short to work well with it.

Then I borrowed a stocker and while it was better ,I found on a ride to see the Cannonball bikes in Chattanooga that it was too soft. I like 'em firm.

So today I'm testing a slightly modified Corbin.With built in rider and passenger back rests.

And what better destination than the Beer Engine in Danville. The seat felt about like I expected, usual rock hard Corbin , but I'm still a bit short in the arms ,so, next I'm trying bars with more pull-back.
Anyway ,I had a bitter red or two at the Beer Engine and got to talking bikes with a couple of guys when I noticed that I was losing daylight.
Later ,guys, time to get back to the homefire.

The temps held pretty well so, I took a break at the Broklyn Bridge over the Kentucky . The temps had only dropped 3 degrees by the time I got home, not bad.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #35
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Small bike play day.

For the first official day of Winter.

3 bikes 3 riders and a small group of spectators.

Bakemon rigging up his Go-Pros and new rider Sumner.

The bikes are Bakemon's XR200 and my rently purchased '05 TW 200 and my DRZ 125 Hot Rod/ Flattracker.

We rode around in the front field and in the grove for a while. While in the grove I flipped up a branch and knocked the brake light switch rod loose on the TW. Sumner on the XR200 also had a run-in with a branch. It left him bleeding.

So, we switched to flattrack.

Whoa there !

And so it went. Not a bad way to say to winter.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:24 PM   #36
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,974
Nice! I at least rode in to work today.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #37
vaexplorer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Your penchant for riding in less than perfect conditions has inspired me. Might have to go around the block in the over 55 degree weather today on the ol' Road King. The flat track pictures brought back memories, too, as a cousin and I used to entertain ourselves for hours chasing each other in circles. Good times!
vaexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #38
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

1-17- 15 Montecello , Ky. to jamestown, Tn.

Promised 50+degree temps we loaded the bikes and headed south to General Burnside Island and had some fried rabbit and a cold beer after unloading the bikes.
We crossed into Tn. and got on a gravel road for a few miles. I'm not sure what's up with my camera, it seemed to work normally, then said the memory card was full and when I tried to get the pics off ,they were gone.
I switched cards and got this on 154 on our way north.

ump was feeling the open road !

We got on some more gravel roads through the Big South Fork and came out here.

Then we headed back to Burnside and loaded up. Centerstand needed to get home so he split off and went north.
The rest of us stopped in at the new Steak and Shake in Somerset , got some burgers and tailgated before the drive home.
It was a well needed sanity ride with twisties, gravel and decent temps for January. In all we covered 156 miles on the bikes.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 01-19-2015 at 08:32 AM
Old 01-20-2015, 05:29 AM   #39
Center-stand
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796

It was 27 degrees when I left home to meet up with the trailer. Rode about 70 miles before unexpectedly going on reserve on the gravel roads of Pickett State Park in TN, then another 20 something to get gas. The ride back to the garage from my fill up at Jamestown TN, was 180 miles. Got back through Somerset with only one stop out of 29 red lights, a minor achievement. Was a good rabbit and a good day.

Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #40
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quick loop around the county 1-21-15

Wednesday was to be the last of a string of 50 degree days, the average temps in January in Kentucky being more like 40 degrees.
So , I jumped on the KLR around 4pm and set off toward the river.

First pic is High Bridge , A rail bridge over the Kentucky River.

Across the river at Shaker's Landing the Dixie Bell paddle wheeler was tied up for the winter.

At the end of the road is the non-functioning Lock #7. The structure on the far side is a hydro plant. It seems to me if the lock isn't functioning , then all the flow should be used for hydro power.

The bridge from the top of the palisades.

Heading north to go east, there's a couple of farms with opposing ideas.

One is the Seldom Rest Farm ,the other is The Seldom Work Farm.

Down by Jessamine Creek is the home of Lexington's Pulitzer winning cartoonist.

On my way to my last river stop I pulled out onto US 27 in heavy traffic and accelerated hard just to have the bike fall on it's face as the main tank emptied. I got the lever to reserve and avoided being the bug.

This shot is from the boat ramp at the end of 39. Across the river is the mouth of Paint Lick Creek , the boundary between Madison and Garrard Counties.

Folks come to the river to play in the warm times. Sometimes that doesn't end well. R.I.P. young Jacob.

And I went home in the fading light.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 01-22-2015 at 10:42 AM
Old 02-08-2015, 06:34 AM   #41
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

February 3 ,get a haircut, hippie !

47 degrees , not too bad. I need to get spiffed up for the 35 th Annual February Party. The party has it's roots from 1980 when my girl and Dickey's girl decided to do something nice for us to brighten up our birthdays in the generally drab February weather.
And now it's an annual tradition that all our friends look forward to. This year around 60 showed for the fun.
So on Wednesday I rode to get a trim then took a longer route home through Woodford County.

Pisgah Pike, big money horse farms.

Yep, large investment. That's a barn.

If I hit the Powerball I'll rent the Castle for the weekend and host all ADV'ers for a party.

Five course grommet meals and drinks included.

Failing the P-ball win , at least I have some nice places to ride through.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #42
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

2-7-15 Stanford for lunch and home through the buzzards

Scheduled meetup was a late 12:30 , made later as there are always late arrivers . Anyway we meandered south to Stanford and parked up in front of Jack's antique and upholstery shop. RoadRanja went in the Bluebird café to see about a table and was told one hour wait. Dang ,Stanford's a pretty small place , but, the Bluebird is new and a big deal , so we headed into Jack's to wile away the time.
Centerstand found some cast iron pieces to take home. We stowed them on the bikes and it was our turn to eat. Good food, good service, the Bluebird is a fine place for a bite id you pass through.

We left Stanford heading west and took a break at this bridge.

We hung out a while , then a large flock of starlings started formation flying , which of course led to fireworks to change their flight patterns.
So, we split before pissing off the neighbors. We got the stink-eye from a couple of guys in a side by side just down the road.

We turned back north about 4 PM toward home , through Harrodsburg , Shakertown and just before Broklyn bridge I noticed there were hundreds of Turkey Vultures hanging out in the trees beside 68.
I went back and got a few pics.

They were in the trees on both sides of the lane I was on and had painted the lane white with their waste. The pics don't show the dozens that flew off on my approach.

I met up with the rest of the crew across the river at the old bridge tunnel and we were treated to a flyover, squadron style.

And home just before dark. Nice day with a high temperature in the low 60's. Come on spring.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:28 PM   #43
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

High water

3-11-15
Wow, almost a full month since the last one. Here in Kentucky we had 2 non-usual snowfall events . The first was 12-14 inches of powdery stuff accompanied by extreme cold that hung around for 2 &1/2 weeks. When it finally melted, the next day we were hit with 14-18 inches of wet packing snow , in March. In some years we get 70 degrees in March. Oh, well.
Anyway the snow melted ,it rained and then it warmed up to 60. Time to get legal and check the river. First stop was the court house then the creek downstream from Indian Falls.

Yeah, that's the road disappearing under the creek.

Ready to go for a swim?
Nope , I turned around.

From a bridge , a little downstream. Little Hickman Creek.

Further on , the Kentucky River from Lock 8 Road.

And Lock 8 itself. Or at least you can see the water churning over it. The state has decreed the locks weren't worth having so, the piles of materials and all the equipment shown here will be used in the construction of a new dam that will permanently do away with the lock. Progress ?

I made my way to the end of Sugar Creek Pike , well almost. The last time I went down the gravel section at the real end it was dry but, not in real good shape. So when I got to this snow pile ,I was O.K. with turning around there.

I backtracked on Sugar Creek to 1268 and at Pink , turned left on Brumfield Lane to see the first flooded creek from the other side.

This is the location of a crossing , in low flow conditions.
Today there's a standing wave and at least 3 feet of depth.

I went back to 1268 and followed it to it's end at the Kentucky. The river had covered the parking lot at the boat ramp in several inches of sand and mud.

Someone's hay is ruined.

Up , away from the river and almost to Pollard , I checked on the "Z" tree. It's a survivor . I don't know what happened to it , but , I've been checking to see if it was still going for 25 or so years. Tough tree.

And back down to the river at the end of Hunter's Ferry Road. Plenty of water here.

And turn back up the hill and across Taylor Ridge to get a view.

Now, on to check on the Valley View Ferry.

The water has gone down some , but, still too much for the Ferry to run.

This working boat was tied off to the old rail bridge pylons and swinging in the current.

This is as close as I could get to the old Lock 9, no lock anymore , it's been replaced by a new dam. You can see the water rolling over the dam.
That's it for now, going home. My KLR hit another milestone on this ride, it turned over 64,000 miles.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 03-12-2015 at 07:44 AM
Old 03-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #44
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

3-13-15 First TNR '15

Ump and Iceman came over and we rode to Mundy's Landing .

Stopped on the way in at the site of an old saltpeter mine.

Mundy's Landing was once a riverboat stop ,inn, tavern. It's a private home now , so , this is as close as we came.

Up and out of the river valley ,we climbed to a high point where you can see across into Mercer County.

Iceman

Next we rode to Wilmore ,then south to High Bridge and Lock # 7. The high water nearly covered all the lock.

The Dixie Belle paddle wheeler was still in place at Shaker's Landing. In the news lately has been a story of a 65' houseboat and a 100' section of dock that broke loose near Boonesborough then travel downstream over all the 9 locks and dams and ended up in the Ohio River. It was apparently well mannered on it's voyage , not damaging any boats or bridges. The high water and swift current kept it in the center of flow.
A few years ago the Dixie Belle got loose during a flood and went over Lock #9 and traveled a couple of miles downstream until some lines got tangled in trees along the shore and brought it's trip to an end.

High Bridge from the bottom.

And the top.

Then we rode back to the house to meet Jeff ,then the 4 of us rode together to the Waterfont Café for our first TNR of 2015. TNR-Thursday Night Ride ,established in 1974 and continuing as long as there are motorcycles.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #45
bk brkr baker OP
Beastly Adventurer

3-16-15 Ride to shop

Forecast says 72 degrees. Off to Louisville for lunch.

First break , just inside Spencer County line on 44.

Car culture is big around Louisville. As we turned onto Bardstown road ,I spotted a 2 tone 55 Chevy when it got closer I could see that the red was sparkly metalflake and it had big scoop on the hood.
Then a bit later we saw a 53 Chevy set up gasser style with a straight axle in the front turn off B-town road.
Then closer in there sat the low rider 64 , more metalflake !

Our chosen lunch spot was the Fish House on Barrett Ave.

Lunch done and dusted we headed over to the Motorcycle Super Store outlet for shopping.
Steveie found the coat he'd been looking for, Bill bargained his way into a new helmet and I picked up a set of sprockets and a front tire.

And the coolest cat and bike in the parking lot. \/ \/ \/

Shopping concluded we headed toward Westport to check out the Ohio River in flood mode. I set my GPS to avoid highways and was soon thwarted. The flood was here.

We weren't news worthy.

After getting turned back by the high water we re-entered the Metro and got on I-71 east to Buckner , then finally made it to Westport. And there was flooding there too.

And as the sun sat across the river in Indiana ,we turned east toward home.
It was a great afternoon out and the iceing on the cake was seeing the time and temp sign in LaGrange showing 7:01 and 71 degrees.

Winter's over again , see you December 21,2015.

bk brkr baker screwed with this post 03-20-2015 at 08:15 PM