Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #166
SteveROntario
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I'm surprised to hear that people do not like the attaching method for the Wolfman's. I had a set of Joe Rocket bags previously and they drove me mad. Nothing would get them to hug to the bike properly so they'd flop around like wings and sag down to planet Earth. The Wolfman compression straps that wrap around the sides of the bags look perfect for me as they'll appear that they could hold the bags tight against the rack over any terrain? Is this on the case? If not, you'd might as well get the Ortleibs or Enduristan's and let them flop around.
Cheers, Steve
SteveROntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #167
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,237
Patched my bags this weekend. It was very simple. I think the pictures tell the story.

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #168
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Can someone with Wolfman bags on a Tiger 800 post up a pic? I'd like to see where the buckle rides on the rear seat, I'm thinking the wife may not be happy with the placement. Thanks!
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #169
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiat View Post
Can someone with Wolfman bags on a Tiger 800 post up a pic? I'd like to see where the buckle rides on the rear seat, I'm thinking the wife may not be happy with the placement. Thanks!
Not sure I get the question. They don't get in the way of anything. Hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #170
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Not sure I get the question. They don't get in the way of anything. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I thought there were 2 straps with buckles that went across the top of the seat for support. Did you just route them under the rear seat? Never mind, I see how you looped them through the bars. Thanks for the pics!
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #171
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiat View Post
Thanks, I thought there were 2 straps with buckles that went across the top of the seat for support. Did you just route them under the rear seat? Never mind, I see how you looped them through the bars. Thanks for the pics!
oh yeah I see what you were asking. It works great looping them around the hand holds. It keeps the seat open for a passenger. All you need to do is switch the male/female buckles when you get them.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #172
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
That was my question too, Oshiat

If the strap crosses the seat for two up riding it may be uncomfortable. And the alternative of using the grab rails are not an option. She will have no use of the grab rails. Plus, I may get the Corbin seat which sits up just a bit higher and the pillion seat is cupped for comfort.
burmbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #173
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
If the strap crosses the seat for two up riding it may be uncomfortable. And the alternative of using the grab rails are not an option. She will have no use of the grab rails. Plus, I may get the Corbin seat which sits up just a bit higher and the pillion seat is cupped for comfort.
Your passenger will most likely not be using the very inside of the grab rail. See where mine are? (pic directly above) I really don't think they will grab them in that area.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #174
rockyrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
+1 on buying yellow. Although they look terrible with the colour of my bike bought yellow because they let in the light. It's why loads of tent and backpack makers use yellow and other light coloured fabrics in for their gear for over a century; think it's an accident that trapper's tents are unbleached cotton canvas?

The bags have been awesome for 5 years, have kept stuff bone dry while riding through heavy downpours, remove and attache quickly and easily and service has been excellent every time I call with a question or suggestion.

RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbound View Post
I guess I am glad I bought the yellow . I was wishing that I had the black to match my black GS .Now I feel better .
I just got some Givi racks from another inmate. They work better that the jerryrigging that I had to do with my old Happy Trails racks.
I took the stiffeners out of mine . I want them to conform to what ever I put in them ,which is usually compression bags ,walking shoes , hatchet,shave kit,etc.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 AM   #175
Spad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
In the next couple days I'll be getting a new (to me) DR350SE and was pointed to this thread. I'm looking at the Wolfman bags for luggage - I want something light and low drag for this bike. This has been a great review and it's been good to see Eric's replies to concerns here about his product. A couple of things came to me while reading this:

One, yellow fits in fine with the DR color scheme. If only they came in purple...

Two, if someone really wanted windows that bad, the patch material used by fbj913 would work well - I have dry bags made of that stuff. I personally wouldn't want to add a seam weak point on the outside of the bags, but then, I know that's where mine will land. If only they came in glow-in-the-dark...

Three, if the stock butterfly wings were made with tabs and slots the two sides could mate together when folded into the bags and might not curl up so bad. As a retrofit, cut the slots in and use a 1"-2" horizontal strip cut from one of those Walmart trash cans as the tab and the stiffener could still collapse as the load changed. I'd be willing to try this if someone wants to send me a set of bags and their old wings... Cutting the bottom out of the can might take out some of its stiffness so that it won't cut through the bag on a fall.

Last, I know someone has these on a DR350. What did you use for racks? I don't see them listed with Wolfman and the bags seem to have pretty specific requirements as far as attachment points. I'm looking to keep whatever I add to the bike as light as possible. It currently has an aluminum luggage rack up top but no side racks.

Thanks again for the reviews, all.

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #176
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
sorry no info on my part but I have dr250 and I'm looking for a solution without side racks as well
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #177
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashopolis View Post
sorry no info on my part but I have dr250 and I'm looking for a solution without side racks as well
Not really large, but I figure the more room I have the more crap I'll bring:

New Wolfman E-12s on WRR

I think the folks who don't like the Wolfman straps use them primarily on pavement. Their fastening is very secure, doesn't move at all. But it does take another couple minutes to install vs. my Nelson Riggs bags on the street bike:

CBF1000, crappy cell phone pic
Old 09-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #178
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveROntario View Post
I'm surprised to hear that people do not like the attaching method for the Wolfman's. I had a set of Joe Rocket bags previously and they drove me mad. Nothing would get them to hug to the bike properly so they'd flop around like wings and sag down to planet Earth. The Wolfman compression straps that wrap around the sides of the bags look perfect for me as they'll appear that they could hold the bags tight against the rack over any terrain? Is this on the case? If not, you'd might as well get the Ortleibs or Enduristan's and let them flop around.
Cheers, Steve

No, you are right. The Wolfman expedition dry luggage bags are the best for serious travellers that want to do proper off road as well. Hard luggage is for softc***s and looks wanky as well.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #179
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,632
Expeditions on a Husqvarna TR650 Terra

It's gonna be awhile before Wolfman gets racks built for this bike.
It's a 2013 model and only a handful of people have one of these right now.
He's needin' a donor bike right now so he can do it.
So I built my own.

Got the Wolfman Expedition racks made and mounted today.
I took the ones off my 950 and reworked them---took me about 6 hours.

The finished product

I tucked them in really tight. Probably tighter than the liability lawyers will let Wolfman do.
The mufflers on this bike are tucked in really tight----unlike the single exhaust of the older TE's.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 10-26-2012 at 04:41 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #180
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,667
How are you liking the Terra so far??