Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #31
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,651
Has anyone used the expedition saddlebags with Dirtbagz racks? I want a pair of these expedition bags on my DR350, but no rack available...

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #32
Factory Phil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanluggage View Post
The Racks are bike specific. Designed to fit on the designed bike. You would be better off either getting raw hoops from Berg, or Getting Racks like Hepco-Becker or something and use our "Other " Kit to attach the bags.

E
Eric,

Do you have any racks for a 08 husky 610? I am using my mounts from my "other" set of bags that bit the dust and they are in need of replacement. I am using your yellow expedition dry bags.

Thanks
Factory Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #33
Factory Phil
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Has anyone used the expedition saddlebags with Dirtbagz racks? I want a pair of these expedition bags on my DR350, but no rack available...

dc
Yes, see above. In a pinch, you have to use what you have some times to get on the trail...
Old 02-06-2011, 03:25 AM   #34
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,522
I've a set of expeditions on my dr650. Did the CD this summer, bags were great. Durable, waterproof and relatively easy to get in and out of. The straps and buckles get alittle resistant to sliding with dust but that's to be expected. The easy on and off was great. I didn't crash on these but have some ortliebs from similar fabric and it's amazingly tough. I carried a netbook stuffed in the middle of one of the panniers for the trip with no issues at all. A nice product I'd recommend.

They are rack specific in general but with some extra straps I've used them over the back of my slash 5. The wolfman racks are nice, small and compact and the easy off feature is quite secure.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 AM   #35
Jimmy
get in the van!

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanluggage View Post
The Racks are bike specific. Designed to fit on the designed bike. You would be better off either getting raw hoops from Berg, or Getting Racks like Hepco-Becker or something and use our "Other " Kit to attach the bags.

E
I'd recommend getting the raw hoops if there is not one made for your bike. Here's the rack I built with parts from Berg. The mounting system of the bags makes install and removal time less than minute.

Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #36
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
Eric,

Do you have any racks for a 08 husky 610? I am using my mounts from my "other" set of bags that bit the dust and they are in need of replacement. I am using your yellow expedition dry bags.

Thanks
How are you securing the bags - do they "clip"/strap to the dirtbagz racks at all?

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #37
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,750
Quote:
How are you securing the bags - do they "clip"/strap to the dirtbagz racks at all?

dc
I'll help Eric out here a little---wasn't sure how familiar he was with the Dirt Bagz racks.

But ---I ran dirt Bagz and racks for year before getting the wolfman---I'm real familiar with the dirt bagz racks and they wouldn't be suitable for mounting the expedition bags from wolfman. The dirt bagz racks don't make a closed loop and are way to flimsy to support the wolfmans. The dirt bagz racks are fine for the dirt bagz---but wouldn't be good at all for the wolfmans.

There are video's on Wolfmans site to clearly show how they mount---go check them out.

Mark
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #38
Factory Phil
Adventurer

Quote:

dc
I had to wrap the straps around the mounts. Not the best way, but it worked. I tried to put a small cross brace on the rack keep the bag from going into the tire/chain, and that worked so so.

The loop that you see in the picture would work the best. And as others have mentioned, the Dirt Bags rack was designed for thier bags. I am not bagging on them, but I crashed with the DBZ on and destroyed them. I decided on the wolfman dry bags as a replacement. Both are great, but I prefer the wolfman and at the time, wolfman did not have a mount set up, so I used what I had.

Ride On
Old 02-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #39
Factory Phil
Adventurer

Edit: I just watched the video. The mounting system is different that my Ex Dry Bags. My bags have the same clips, but the clips are plastic and there is a strap on top of them with a loopey deal. The loopy deal is what I use to secure the bags. I did not use the clips as described in the video and now that I have seen the video, there is no way I could mount my bags like that. If the clips were metal, you bet I would mount it like that.

Like I said the bags kick arse, but my mounting system had to be improvised to emulate a job done my Homer Simpson, but it works. Looking at the new bags and the way they mount, to me its a no brainer. I would mount them or modify the mounting system so the bag could be mounted exactly as the video shows. That has made my mind up on which ones to buy for my wife's WR250R.

So Eric, do you have any mounts available for the WR250R? The wife wants to the ditch the smaller Enduro saddle bags in favor of some EX dry bags.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #40
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
So Eric, do you have any mounts available for the WR250R? The wife wants to the ditch the smaller Enduro saddle bags in favor of some EX dry bags.

Thanks
Nope--me and Dingleweeds bought the last set

Just Kidding !!! I've had mine since June of 2010.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 02-07-2011, 04:48 AM   #41
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Nope--me and Dingleweeds bought the last set

Just Kidding !!! I've had mine since June of 2010.

Hey Mark, I know it's a little off topic but, just curious about what you pack where? Where do you pack your tools, tent, sleeping bag, etc.? I know you have this packing thing down. Just trying to learn from your experience.

Thanks, Scott

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #42
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,190
Since I was also curious about this, I saved it: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...641622&page=16

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #43
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottV View Post
Hey Mark, I know it's a little off topic but, just curious about what you pack where? Where do you pack your tools, tent, sleeping bag, etc.? I know you have this packing thing down. Just trying to learn from your experience.

Thanks, Scott
Well---this is really not of topic---as it shows where I put what in my wolfman saddlebags----I also have a wolfman enduro tankbag on this bike---and have replaced the motofizz tailbag with a wolfman expedition roll top duffel. Oh---almost forgot---a wolfman toolroll which I put in a guess what ????----wolfman tool bag

HHhhhOOOOooooWWWwwwwLLLLLllllllllll

Yep---I'm a Wolfman guy for sure !!!

I'm gearing up right now for Alaska----I want everything to be waterproof.

Mark

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #44
ScottV
bigdoggscott

Oddometer: 1,097
Thanks for the details. Wolfman does rock.

Pushin My Luck~~~ R.L. Burnside
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #45
aceflyer32
Snoopy

Oddometer: 28
Water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Well---this is really not of topic---as it shows where I put what in my wolfman saddlebags----I also have a wolfman enduro tankbag on this bike---and have replaced the motofizz tailbag with a wolfman expedition roll top duffel. Oh---almost forgot---a wolfman toolroll which I put in a guess what ????----wolfman tool bag

HHhhhOOOOooooWWWwwwwLLLLLllllllllll

Yep---I'm a Wolfman guy for sure !!!

I'm gearing up right now for Alaska----I want everything to be waterproof.

Mark

Hey Mark, where do you carry your water for cooking/drinking etc., and how much do you typically carry?
aceflyer32 is offline   Reply With Quote