Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,813
Question I LOVE this TANK Thread

I'm just finishing up a 3-D computer model of a WWII Soviet SU-100 tank (pictured below), and wondered why some tanks were designed without a turret. Was it just to save on production cost, or was it done to make the hull stronger?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Isn't that really a tank destroyer? I think they're technically considered self-propelled mobile artillery, not tanks.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke View Post
Isn't that really a tank destroyer? I think they're technically considered self-propelled mobile artillery, not tanks.
I'm not sure what their technical designation is, but the SU-100 was built on the chasis of the T-34 tank. The question remains, why build them this way? Doesn't it make them vulnerable to attacks from the flanks?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,210
SU-100 is a tank destroyer.

From wiki:

The use of a fixed or casemate superstructure in place of the rotating turret found on normal tanks (except for almost all American WW II designs) confers both strengths and weaknesses upon the tank destroyer. Dispensing with the turret makes tank destroyers significantly cheaper, faster and easier to manufacture than tanks. Tank destroyers can also be fitted with larger superstructures, allowing accommodation of a bigger cannon than could be mounted in a turreted tank on the same chassis, and increasing the vehicle's internal volume, allowing for increased ammunition stowage and crew comfort.[1] Eliminating the turret also allows the vehicle to carry thicker armor than would otherwise be the case.
But
Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I'm not sure what their technical designation is, but the SU-100 was built on the chasis of the T-34 tank. The question remains, why build them this way? Doesn't it make them vulnerable to attacks from the flanks?
I guess the point is that it's not a main battle tank, and isn't used the same way. It was treated like an artillery piece, and not intended for fighting infantry. In effect, it's a howitzer with an engine and some armor, not a tank with a missing turret. I suspect that the turret was seen as an unnecessary (and expensive) complication.

But I'm not an expert by any stretch, and I'm interested to hear from those who know more than I do about it.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,210
I love this quote from wiki :

(the SU-100) was quite capable of defeating any German tank in service, for which Soviet soldiers gave it the obscene nickname "Pizdets vsemu" ("Fucking end to anything")
Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
GTomic
Sanguine

Oddometer: 13,783
More room for fly chicks.

GTomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post

From wiki:

The use of a fixed or casemate superstructure in place of the rotating turret found on normal tanks (except for almost all American WW II designs) confers both strengths and weaknesses upon the tank destroyer. Dispensing with the turret makes tank destroyers significantly cheaper, faster and easier to manufacture than tanks. Tank destroyers can also be fitted with larger superstructures, allowing accommodation of a bigger cannon than could be mounted in a turreted tank on the same chassis, and increasing the vehicle's internal volume, allowing for increased ammunition stowage and crew comfort.[1] Eliminating the turret also allows the vehicle to carry thicker armor than would otherwise be the case.
But
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 5,940
Quote:

From wiki:

But
This explanation fits also with the soviet manufacturing methods. Simple, strong, reliable, and cheap. Build it heavy but keep it simple.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,304
Think artillery with tracks for mobility, not tank.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke View Post
I guess the point is that it's not a main battle tank, and isn't used the same way. It was treated like an artillery piece, and not intended for fighting infantry. In effect, it's a howitzer with an engine and some armor, not a tank with a missing turret. I suspect that the turret was seen as an unnecessary (and expensive) complication.

But I'm not an expert by any stretch, and I'm interested to hear from those who know more than I do about it.
The SU-100 was relatively rare in WW2, so it was generally only used in situations where the Soviets expected to encounter German tanks. However, the Germans utilized tank destoyers extensively and usually as direct replacements for tanks.
wallache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
Think artillery with tracks for mobility, not tank.
Not artillery. It was a tank that was specially designed for killing other tanks.
wallache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,791
much lower profile also, makes it easier to conceal.

mainly used as a cheaper defensive unit.
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #14
Aurelius OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
This explanation fits also with the soviet manufacturing methods. Simple, strong, reliable, and cheap. Build it heavy but keep it simple.
Much like the Ural, then.

The file photos I used for reference reveal that fit & finish on Soviet tanks was incredibly bad - almost as if they'd been built out of mud.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
(the SU-100) was quite capable of defeating any German tank in service, for which Soviet soldiers gave it the obscene nickname "Pizdets vsemu" ("Fucking end to anything")
Nice.

Nice models, BTW. What are you going to use them for?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: