Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #16
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Oh, why not buy one and put Harley stickers and crap all over it. They did build a boxer at one time.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #17
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykill View Post
The Inland Empire is the Methamphetamine production capital of the world!

East of Los Angeles, basically San Bernardino and Riverside. It has some redeeming qualities, I just can't think of any right now.
ABSOLUTELY ZERO redeeming qualities. Chain restaraunt hell and they'll charge you $486 for making a "California Stop" while making a right on red.

I hate them.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #18
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykill View Post
The Inland Empire is the Methamphetamine production capital of the world!
Unfortunately, I've always heard that's closer to my neck of the woods.. Eastern/Southeastern Missouri.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #19
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,156
Damn!

We keep exporting manufacturing which forces us to raise our traffic fines.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #20
elite-less
As above, so below

Oddometer: 524
Funny…. just saw one pop up on American Pickers:

http://www.history.com/shows/america...-the-emu-chase

About 24 minutes in….. the guy wanted 9k for the "1957 BMW" with sidecar and .50 cal.
elite-less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #21
Achiii
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
The ad from the original post now says "replica" rather than vintage.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #22
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-less View Post
Funny…. just saw one pop up on American Pickers:

http://www.history.com/shows/america...-the-emu-chase

About 24 minutes in….. the guy wanted 9k for the "1957 BMW" with sidecar and .50 cal.
Interesting that the stars of the show rejected it because it was priced too high at $9K, not because it was an obvious fake.

The prewar brake and clutch levers alone should have raised some red flags.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #23
ducsingle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
BMW didn't build any motorcycles in 1946.

The factories were still bombed into oblivion, and they were casting aluminum pots and pans.
Not quite correct. BMW was not allowed to build any large displacement motorbikes during that time period. However, a few R51 twins were assembled from spare parts and sold "under the table" for cash. Those bikes had engine and frame numbers, but those numbers don't show up in the BMW production archives.

And yes, the Chinese replicas are annoying, especially when somebody slaps BMW emblems on them. But it's like killing cockroaches - - - even if you succeed, more will always pop up. There are better ways to spend time, like riding.
ducsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #24
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post

Do your homework!

PS - Wirewrkr, Caponerd, H69996 ... These guys really know their stuff. Trust them.
Look Beater, I've never doubted the collective wisdom of the group. I simply asked if someone has personally looked at these in closer detail. The sad part is that I live about an hour from this seller and it is in an 'economically depressed' area. I've been trolling the CL Inland Empire for years and have found many real, underpriced bargins from folks selling their stuff.

Believe it or not, there are also towns in the IE that are trying the gentrification route too. For years, people put ocean containers, antique cars and boats in their large fenced yards to rot. Cities are now cracking down on this and requiring clean up. People now need to get rid of their 'junk' or face stiff fines.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #25
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/2184966667.html
would someone else help stop this bullshit?
Flag now, flag often!
I hate this shit, and yes i emailed him to give him the chance to fix it or get flagged.
if we stopped all the "gilding of the lily" regarding cl motorcycle listings, we'd be looking at six listings per state, per day. and that might be a little optimistic.
caveat emptor.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #26
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/2184966667.html
would someone else help stop this bullshit?
Flag now, flag often!
I hate this shit, and yes i emailed him to give him the chance to fix it or get flagged.
I may not understand, but why should I worry about this for more than a fraction of a nano second? Does this affect me in any way? Why should I care? I don't get it. (Maybe the fact that I peruse CL less than once a month and have never encountered such a thing keeps this issue off my radar.)

Just curious.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #27
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post
I may not understand, but why should I worry about this for more than a fraction of a nano second? Does this affect me in any way? Why should I care? I don't get it. (Maybe the fact that I peruse CL less than once a month and have never encountered such a thing keeps this issue off my radar.)

Just curious.
agreed

vernon dent screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 03:31 AM
vernon dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #28
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,910
Hijack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
... Believe it or not, there are also towns in the IE that are trying the gentrification route too. For years, people put ocean containers, antique cars and boats in their large fenced yards to rot. Cities are now cracking down on this and requiring clean up. People now need to get rid of their 'junk' or face stiff fines.
[hijack on]
[rant on]
And there's the problem. What "people" should do in such cases is revolt in the strongest possible way. New laws are fine for new peeps, but it should be unconstitutional for any bunch of little demi-gods to inflict their whims on anyone who does not agree to it, and that includes raising taxes on any "established" properties for anything other than maintaining the level of service in effect at the time of original occupancy of the property. Need a new, larger school; more water; increased sewage treatment capacity? Charge it to the peeps who cause the need, the n00bs.

Many years ago, Vagina Beach instituted a surcharge called "sewer maint" added onto water bills that had nothing whatsoever to do with sewer maintenance or usage (examples: water supply $15.26, sewer maint $18.97; water supply $15.26, sewer maint $19.28; water supply $19.24, sewer maint $18.66; water supply $9.95, sewer maint $18.35; water supply $13.93, sewer maint $18.35; water supply $13.93, sewer maint $19.59. That's the entirety of the bills for 1988 in reverse order. Yes, I still have my tax returns from 1988, and earlier). What it was was a tax to subsidize the expenses of developers so that they could overbuild cheaply and cause established residents to have to spend countless extra hours on their commutes to and from work because new or expanded roads had not been built and the existing arteries were clogged to the point of gridlock. Yet when election time came the charlatans cried, "We did not raise your taxes." Liars!

Same thing with your "gentrification" crap. A bunch of bleedin'-hearts who do not care whose lives they trample in their drive to create their own little Utopia. You (general "you," not quoted poster 'you") want it your way? Found your own damn town!

As long as "you're" not aiming to crap in my rice bowl, Peace, Out!

{To OP, I realize this has nothing to do with faux BMWs, but it has everything to do with liars, crooks, and thieves, and I believe that's what we're talking about.)

[/rant off]
[/hijack off]
Old 02-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #29
Jasper ST4

Oddometer: n/a
Why isn't BMW getting involved in these?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #30
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
BMW does not care about any bike made prior to the oilheads. They live in their own little universe and are very happy there.

Let buyer beware.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote