Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #31
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
[hijack on]
[rant on]
And there's the problem. What "people" should do in such cases is revolt in the strongest possible way. New laws are fine for new peeps, but it should be unconstitutional for any bunch of little demi-gods to inflict their whims on anyone who does not agree to it,
Go fish in CS&M.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #32
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,832
Well I have one. And for what I use it, driving the kids and dog around town, it is great. It always need tinkering to get it to run and that it's also one great things about it.

I do not try to sell it off as a R71, just ask any of the old skool rally guys.

It is what it is, a bad copy of a R71. Have I told John Doe on the street that it is a BMW when he ask, yes. But only because I do not want to get into a long discussion of what it really is. Do I tell the motorcycling public it's a Chang, you bet.

Is the BMW name so sacrilegious, I don't think so. it's a bike for god sake.

So if any of you guys decide to show up at the OLD School rally, I will give you a ride on my 1938 R71 Kung Fu version

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #33
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
everybody step away from the computer and switch to decaf.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #34
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,705

Old 02-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #35
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,157
refreshing!

A friend of mine posted this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...EF:MOTORS:1123
Here are the three best things about this bike... #1 It runs! #2 Clear Florida tile in Hand. Bike is in Los Angeles with me. #3 It is inexpensive because I don't want it anymore!
Now here is a very long list of what is wrong with it.
Transmission needs repair. It is almost impossible to find third gear. There are no grinding or crunching noises while shifting or riding. I have been told it is a shifter fork problem, but it has not been opened to verify this. It jumps out of first sometimes too.
It is missing parts: The gauges, the ignition switch, the horn, the left control switch, and I am sure lots of things I forgot.
It needs almost every consumable part like: both tires, the chain, both drive sprockets, fork seals, brake pads, a new battery, and I am sure the list goes on.
It is UGLY in a rented redheaded step mule sort of way. Surface rust but no rot through. Multiple bad paint jobs. Bad chrome.
Please look at the pictures. Know that the bike looks worse in person. This should be considered a rolling, running, basket case. It is ideal if you are looking to do a bobber from the ground up as it does run good. It starts right up on the electric leg and settles into a nice idle right away Not a smoking belching POS. It has good numbers and papers. That way you avoid special construction paperwork and the headache that comes with it.
The bike is located in Los Angeles. Email me if you want to come see it. I prefer you see it before you bid. It is probably not worth shipping, but I will cooperate with the shipper you set up and pay for. I will deliver it to Forward air, or Titans for an additional $50.00
$500.00 due via paypal or cash within 48 hours. The balance within a week via paypal or cash in person. The deposit is non refundable. This is not an invitation to look at it and haggle. Your bid is a contract.
Ask your questions early, I work odd hours and my schedule is subject to change. The bike is for sale locally and I reserve the right to end the auction early based on a local sale. I will not do so if the reserve price has been met. In that case, it will run its course and go to the high bidder. Reserve is set under the LOW buy it now price.
Think hard about this one, it needs work. On the other hand you know what you are getting by my description and pics so at least there is no BS with it. Think about it.

And it sold in 1/2 hour!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #36
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Google a real one. Like this R12:

Now look at the grainy pictures in each of these adds. There are LOTS of small differences between the Russian and Chinese copies of these bikes. The frame. The gas tank. The bars. The headlight. The seat ... and the placement of it. The heads! The heads.

Do your homework!

PS - Wirewrkr, Caponerd, H69996 ... These guys really know their stuff. Trust them.
The CJ-750 is a Chinese version of an R-71 (not an R-12 as you pictured). A Chinese CJ-750 (and a Rooskie M-72) and an R-71 are virtually identical to the untrained eye. They can be made almost indistinguishable. The easily identifying factors (though not always) are CJ's have re-inforced gussets near the rear plungers, a distributor lump on the side of the engines (but early ones don't), and larger 22ℓ gastank instead of a 17ℓ tank. Mostly, too, CJs have the knee pads on up-side-down if they have them at all. And R-71's won't have blinkers.

gspell68 screwed with this post 02-12-2011 at 07:07 PM
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #37
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducsingle View Post
Not quite correct. BMW was not allowed to build any large displacement motorbikes during that time period. However, a few R51 twins were assembled from spare parts and sold "under the table" for cash. Those bikes had engine and frame numbers, but those numbers don't show up in the BMW production archives.
Let's not forget there was a small production run of civilian R-75's in 1948. Very nice...

Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #38
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Why isn't BMW getting involved in these?
BMW does not care about any bike made prior to the oilheads. They live in their own little universe and are very happy there.

Let buyer beware.
BMW never even contested Russian M-72's even while they probably had a valid complaint before the statute of limitations ran out. Part of the reason is that the Soviet M-72 was probably a licensed copy of the BMW R-71, although neither side will admit it.