User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Gundy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
XT 225 mods for bigger folks...sharing my findings

So, I was looking into buying a used XT225, but wanted to see how much it would cost to make it a little more ergonomic for taller/heavier folks. Here is what I found, thought it was worth sharing:

Custom thicker seat from Seat Concepts (up to 2" higher) -$250 shipped
Stiffer fork and rear springs from Cogent Dynamics - $228
Atv Hi-bars - $45
or
Risers -~$80
Both ~$125

So, it looks like to make the XT a better fit for taller riders, you are looking at $500 to $600 minimum plus some elbow grease and maybe some extra fork oil. Add some bark busters and a tank bank etc and you get to $1,000 pretty quickly....
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,301
I'd put the extra seat $ + cost of bike & buy an 08 wr250r & have twice the bike.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:25 AM   #3
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
I'd put the extra seat $ + cost of bike & buy an 08 wr250r & have twice the bike.
A person shopping an XT225 doesn't necessarily want a WRR.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
A person shopping an XT225 doesn't necessarily want a WRR.
but the xt was not designed for bigger & taller so it's gonna take alot of time and $ to make it work. the wrr is not that far of a jump than say recomending a 650 dual sport. so after he spends all that $ on the xt you could just buy a stock wrr and ride it for the same amount of $.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Agreed. On a performance per $ basis the WRR is a better bargain, especially if ergos for a larger rider is important. But, they are very different machines and each choice may appeal to different people for different reasons. Hands down the WRR has better suspension, brakes and power but is also heavier and a much more complex machine.

A few years ago I would have picked the WRR but more recently and as I've gotten a bit older my priorities have changed, so my bike choices have changed to match a different type of riding. Now I'm more into just farting around and doing some back road/dirt road exploring. I like the old school simplicity of an air cooled, carburated bike with threaded tappets and like the light weight nimbleness of the XT. Plus I like the fact that I can add a kickstart and that it will still start and run even if the battery takes a dump, something that won't happen on a fuel injected bike.

Lately I've been considering building something along the lines of Swamp's XT as seen in the XT225 thread. Yeah, I've done a real rough build-up cost estimate in my head and I know that financially it doesn't make a lot of sense, and I have no doubt that the WRR will always be "better" (in terms of performance) than the best I can ever make an XT. But, there is just something about the mid '80s styling and the mechanical simplicity that I like about Swamp's XT and I would enjoy the process of building it to my liking. Of course I'm only 5'7" and weigh about 145# so ergos aren't the main focus of my modification plan, although I will be adding a higher seat to increase seat to peg distance for the sake of my old knees. Plus, I just know that even if I bought the WRR for more $$ I still wouldn't be satisfied with it being stock. I'd probably spend almost as much modifying it as I would an XT so it would still end up costing me a good bit more.

Just wish the XT had a rear disk.

It is really pretty similar to the choice between a DR650 and a big KTM or Husky DS. I'd been thinking seriously about a DR for many of the same reasons as above, but I've lately been thinking more about going light weight with the XT. Still haven't decided for sure though.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 02-03-2011 at 12:02 PM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
I'm 6' 200lbs and love riding my wifes xt225. I also throw money into it for me to enjoy and plan to keep this bike in the family forever. Not fast, but fun!
Chris618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Gundy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
yeah my whole idea in looking at the XT was getting an air-cooled bike that as low maintenance as possible, lightweight to throw in the back of my truck, and something a guest could ride. Not looking to ride enduros on it or anything. More riding, less maintenance!
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Thumb

I'm 6'1", 195# my 225 has a works performance shock, heavy fork springs, custom Sargent seat, tall Renthal bars, and I love it dearly,
The new WRR is a nice bike, and if I could only have one it might be it, but it doesn't speak to me like the XT, it has no soul.
And if I ever have to justify the money I spend on my toys, the XT is the least of my problems.
lamotovita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
but the xt was not designed for bigger & taller so it's gonna take alot of time and $ to make it work. the wrr is not that far of a jump than say recomending a 650 dual sport. so after he spends all that $ on the xt you could just buy a stock wrr and ride it for the same amount of $.
You're making a rational argument, but as you know, bike choices aren't always rational.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497

another thumbs up for a little bike that could do... kind of like Thomas the tank engine.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
lvdukerider
Las Vegas Nevada

Oddometer: 523
FWIW, at work we use the XT225/250 for police duties and we have some very large people riding basicly stock bikes for 10 hr shifts without problems for bike or rider. Granted were not touring on them but we do put in some time on them. They definatly get the job done.
lvdukerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
You're making a rational argument, but as you know, bike choices aren't always rational.
That's almost sig-line material there.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 AM   #13
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvdukerider View Post
FWIW, at work we use the XT225/250 for police duties and we have some very large people riding basicly stock bikes for 10 hr shifts without problems for bike or rider. Granted were not touring on them but we do put in some time on them. They definatly get the job done.

Pics?
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
lvdukerider
Las Vegas Nevada

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale View Post
Pics?
Page 75, pics pics pics,you and the police thread. Sorry im not too savvy with posting pics and links and all that, but the XT250 that says Metro police is one of our scoots, last pick on that page.
lvdukerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,500
I'm 6' 220, and I ride an XT225 without any problems whatsoever. My bike has a lot of modifications, including a Clarke tank, Cigar Mike centerstand, Brianswens rack, and a couple dozen other things, but no suspension mods, it does have a stearns seat cover, and 1" handlebar risers. I love this bike. No way would I trade it for a WR250R. I'm 52 years old, and have fairly severe arthritis. This is the perfect bike for me.

To the person who wished the XT had a rear disc, I wish mine had a front drum. I ride about 70% off road, and a drum has way more braking power than the tires have traction in the dirt, so traction is the limiting factor in braking performance. I have had to replace the caliper when I banged it on a rock and broke it, I had to replace the hose when I snagged it on a piece of barbed wire and cut it, and I had to replace the master cylinder because the PLASTIC sight glass cracked. None of this would have happened with a drum.

While I can see a large street bike needing front discs, NO bike needs a rear disc. When braking hard, there is almost no weight on the rear wheel, and even a weak drum will lock the rear wheel easily. Why would you need more braking power in the rear? When I need to make a panic stop on the street, I don't even touch the rear brake. I put all my effort into holding the front brake on the verge of lockup. Not using the rear brake has almost certainly kept me from going down a few times.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote