CHANGELING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #137
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANGELING View Post
Is the needle silicon damped too ?
No, so hopefully the needle won't bounce around too much.

Past stable : 90 +
Tommy_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #138
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

The project had a lull while I was traveling on business. I'm back and ready to work!

As I said before I want to increase off road performance with this project. The skid plate was made possible by the new turbo exhaust and protects the bottom of the engine and the oil lines. 950s have another well known vulnerability and I'm addressing that here.

Many KTMs have broken crankcases because the kickstand bolts to the engine, and not the frame. If the kickstand hits a rock its like a big lever and cracks the case. Relocation kits are available for Adventures and Superenduros to mount the stand to the frame. On the Supermoto there is a simpler fix as shown below.

Here is the stock kickstand. The skid plate is protecting the case but an impact to the end of the kickstand will put huge stresses into the engine.

There's a dent in the kickstand here. I'm mighty glad the case survived that load.

So here's the idea - weld a spacer in to transmit load to the frame instead of the engine case. A 3/8 nut had the right height.

Here it's welded on and painted. This should be a huge improvement. If the sidestand does ground out from a jump I expect the tube to buckle and collapse at the nut and not overload the cases.

I don't have a pic now but a section of rubber hose was pushed into the nut and trimmed to make a rubber stop. This will prevent rattling from metal-metal contact.

Tommy_J screwed with this post 03-04-2011 at 01:09 PM
Old 03-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #139
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Turbo oil return is done. It may get re-engineered later depending on how well things perform.

Here bends in the brake line were rearranged to make more room.

Gasket cut and fitting installed.

Fixing the brakes.

Here's the routing. Not very pretty having the line hanging out in space but for function it should have a continuous slope downward. If the scavenge pump has enough capacity to suck the turbo oil out then I can re-route the line later to tuck in better.

It is well tucked in and protected here.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #140
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,043
Nice work. Keep it up.
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #141
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

This weekend is dedicated to working on an intake plenum. As it turns out this will be a big job. I do have in mind an exciting trick that should eliminate all turbo lag.

Here is the airflow path in the stock airbox. The problem for me is that there is no good way to make the seal below the carbs pressure tight. It would be easy to seal the plenum at the carb inlets if the airhorns were removed. Unfortunately, the airhorns look like they have functional passages to the air jets. I'm not going to risk poor carburation from removing them. Soooo, I'll have to think of something unconventional.

Step one is to round up all the stock stuff that came off and weight it. Later I'll weigh the turbo stuff to see the difference.

When I finished the hot section I was too excited and forgot to weight the parts before final assembly. I'm sure the turbo setup is quite a bit lighter than stock!

Attached Images

Old 03-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #142
skuikka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
What airfilter are you using? I'm in process with a quite similar project, and I need a filter that I can place to the back of the bike too. The question is the dust. If you have done any research on the aftermarket ones, can you recommend any? Quite many seem to let dust trough so they are not so usefull on gravel.
If I may ask, does your anti-lag system have 2-stroke parts in it? :)
skuikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #143
trc
Tim Robel Concepts

Oddometer: 128
Your engineering, fabrication and machine skills are awesome ! Keep up the good work!
trc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #144
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuikka View Post
What airfilter are you using? I'm in process with a quite similar project, and I need a filter that I can place to the back of the bike too. The question is the dust. If you have done any research on the aftermarket ones, can you recommend any? Quite many seem to let dust trough so they are not so usefull on gravel.
Pod K&N style air filter with a oiled foam outer sleeve and mesh prefilter would be the most dust resistant and serviceable. It would load up and restrict flow with its external exposure, but the easy access would make swapping a foam sleeve and prefilter, quick and painless. I don't know the math to determine performance/CFM restriction with a double prefilter. I do know the math to add fresh pistons and Nikasil after a good internal dusting.

By any chance are you suggesting a guillotine or rotary "power valve" of some sort to modulate air flow? Very interesting!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #145
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuikka View Post
I just went to the K&N site and picked out a cloth filter. Its visible on page 8. True its not the best for serious off roading but at least its super easy to access for maintenance.

We seem to be thinking alike on the anti-lag. I have a spare CR500 reed assembly leftover from building an aluminum frame CR500.

Attached Images

Old 03-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #146
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Snow, That's a good idea about the foam outer sleeve. Is that something for sale somewhere?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #147
skuikka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Reed indeed! I'm curious to hear how it works in real life, in theory it should work. You seem to be quite a lot further with your build. Nice work.
skuikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #148
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc View Post
Your engineering, fabrication and machine skills are awesome ! Keep up the good work!
Thanks Tim. That means a lot coming from an artist like yourself.

Tommy_J screwed with this post 03-05-2011 at 03:37 PM
Old 03-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #149
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,095
Sheewt, a reed valve?
Will it eliminate back pressure scavenging somehow? :Turbo noob smiley

I wasn't sure if K&N offered one, but here it is:
http://www.knfilters.com/airforcewraps.htm
Air force wraps, they be call'in it.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #150
jake28
Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer: 391
A question about your sidestand case-saver. I'm having trouble envisioning how the nut welded on will protect the case in the event of an impact to the stand from a rock or obstacle. It seems that the force would turn the sidestand into a lever with the nut being the hinge point and still exerting downwards force on the case. Or is the idea that the stand would buckle if such an event were to occur.

Please excuse the odd question, I really enjoy these threads and I would like to understand and be able to visualize both the product but also the steps and thought process that went into the construction.

Jake

jake28 is offline   Reply With Quote