Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #181
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
Your work is absolutely spectacular. I do have a small suggestion for an alternate location for your boost gauge.

I think you should put it in your seat, directly under your butt, since if you are looking at it at max boost, you might as well kiss your ass goodbye
Kinda JoMamma don'cha think?

Any modern, stock Gixxer or R1 or CBR or ZX10 will still have 10% more HP than TommyJ's turbo equipped LC8. I don't see how this slight pressurization would cause a life threatening situation if one were to check the Speedo or boost guage, while the whistle is blowing...
The only safety gear I think applicable might be a steering dampener for those boosted corner exits.

edited for civility
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #182
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
What do you mean?

Anyhow, I was commending Tommy's excellent work, and trying to make a funny.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #183
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
What do you mean?

Anyhow, I was commending Tommy's excellent work, and trying to make a funny.
The excellence remark was lost in the nonsensical approach to humor.

If he was pulling a 285HP intercooled, water injected, stage3 dragster that was aiming for 198mph, in an eye watering 7 seconds, we would all agree with your humor.

Sorry, I couldn't relate and jumped the remark.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #184
Friday1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Thread about pressurizing carbs

http://www.turbo-bike.net/Pressurize%20carbs.htm
Friday1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #185
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post

Any modern, stock Gixxer or R1 or CBR or ZX10 will still have 10% more HP than TommyJ's turbo equipped LC8. I don't see how this slight pressurization would cause a life threatening situation if one were to check the Speedo or boost guage, while the whistle is blowing...
The only safety gear I think applicable might be a steering dampener for those boosted corner exits.

edited for civility
True. What I'm hoping for is heaps nice controllable torque. Before I bought this bike I spent months lusting and watching videos like this one. It makes the SM look like a really intense ride. In reality the SM its so friendly that those antics aren't a big deal. I want to keep it that friendly but have it power lift in third the way it did in second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmeZ2DZINb4

Past stable : 90 +
Tommy_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #186
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Thanks again for all the comments. You guys are keeping me motivated. Progress on the charge tube to deliver air to the plenum is more tricky than expected. A tube is coming together but it needs to change direction about every 3 inches to fit around obstacles. Here is the first attempt. The pictures don't really show how the tube has to jog left and right. It clears the carb by about 1/16"

It clears the spark plug cap by about 1/16" and the frame rails in two places by 1/8". You could say its highly constrained.

Clearance to the shock spring collar is also tight.

Maybe its time to reevaluate the situation.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #187
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
Use way smaller tubing for the charge. On my turbocar, I was running 300 hp's worth of boost thru a 2.2 litre 8 valve motor that was running 78 HP when it was NA.....I was pushing 21 psi thru 2.25" intercooler tubing with no issues at all. For less than half that amount of cfm, I am sure 1.5" tubing would suit fine, and would give you more room and ease of bending as well. Just get a silicone reducer that necks down from 2" to 1.5" after the compressor outlet.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #188
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
Use way smaller tubing for the charge. On my turbocar, I was running 300 hp's worth of boost thru a 2.2 litre 8 valve motor that was running 78 HP when it was NA.....I was pushing 21 psi thru 2.25" intercooler tubing with no issues at all. For less than half that amount of cfm, I am sure 1.5" tubing would suit fine, and would give you more room and ease of bending as well. Just get a silicone reducer that necks down from 2" to 1.5" after the compressor outlet.
Yup. I'm going to have to do something because the clearances are just too tight.

In other bad news, the fuel pump I ordered arrived and its just HUGE. I was serious about loosing weight overall with this project so I'm not going to use this. $80 down the drain.

Attached Images

Old 03-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #189
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

+3 to the smaller dia charge tube. Would the smaller diameter charge tube also offer increased initial velocity and therefore reduce the (nonexistent) lag? With a smaller tube, there may be some routing options that aren't available with the existing material.

So on routing: looks like a battery relocation may serve to open a more direct path to the plenum. I can't remember which battery is the absorbed glass mat, but they can lay in their side, if I recall correctly.

GLAD I am away from my bike at the moment or I'd already be out there with the hole saw looking for a clear path.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #190
cpallen
Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_J View Post
Yup. I'm going to have to do something because the clearances are just too tight.

In other bad news, the fuel pump I ordered arrived and its just HUGE. I was serious about loosing weight overall with this project so I'm not going to use this. $80 down the drain.

Minor set backs all. You rock, keep it up.
cpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #191
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

The 55 GPH hi pressure pump in my car came from wwwautoperformanceengineering.com

They are very easy to deal with, and can surely get a Walbro suitable for your application.

One huge problem I forsee is that the stock pump and fuel pressure is prtobably somewhere between 5-10 psi. Most turbocharged fuel injected applications run static pressure bewteen 35-60 psi, with a boost sensitive FPR adding pressure above the static pressure as boost rises. In my car I have seen pressures as high 77 psi.

Fuel injected type of pressures will likely drown your cabs, and have fuel leaking out of every orfice.

As far as smaller charge tube helping spoolup, no. The "lag" that might be experiences is solely dependent on the turbine selection and hot side of the turbo.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #192
Friday1
Adventurer

Fuel pressure

I am not familiar with the carbs on this bike, but if they were used to seeing gravity feed fuel pressure, that is going to be around 2psi. If you are making 6 psi boost, you would need to be making 8psi fuel pressure to trick the carbs into thinking everything was normal. If you made more boost than fuel pressure the fuel would be pushed back to the tank. Also an unloader valve should be in the system to shuttle fuel back to the tank when you close the throttle fast or excess fuel pressure will overcome the needles and seats. Most fuel injection pumps are going to be too high pressure. Some are made to be immmersed in the tank.

-Rick in Ohio
Old 03-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #193
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Exactly my thinking as well. This is why I'd think building an aluminum or plastic box that completely encloses the carbs is a good idea, and pressurize the whole box. The reed valve is an uneccesary addition, complexity, space time and work, as engines breathe fine, off boost at part throttle, thru the turbo's compressor anyways..
Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #194
Friday1
Adventurer

I would think pressurizing the whole carb(s) would be a fabricating challenge, but I am not familiar with the bike or how the fuel system is mounted/arranged. It is easy to make a plenum that can be mounted to the bike remote to the engine and turbine. Pressurizing the float bowls means you have to cap the vents, and have a way to control fuel pressure-rizing rate pressure regulator, and dump excess pressure back to the tank when the throttle is closed-unloader valve. I'm just sayin'. This info is worth what you paid for it. No matter how he accomplishes his goal it is a very cool idea, and it is easy to see it is no walk in the park. I agree about the reed cage, but let's see what happens. I am learning alot just watching.

-Rick in Ohio
Old 03-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #195
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

That's right about the fuel pressure. To maintain the 2.5 psi baseline fuel pressure plus add one psi per pound of boost it would seem a 10 psi fuel pump would work. That's not the case though.

A 10 psi pump typically delivers that pressure when its deadheaded. But I'll be needing the highest pressure at max flow rate. Sooo, I've spent hours and hours surfing around for a fuel pump in the 20 psi range that could be regulated down. The pump I finally selected was from a Renualt R5 turbo. That also had a carburated blow thru setup. Too bad it was much bigger than I expected.

The fallback plan is to get an in-line fuel injection pump and regulate that downward. I didn't like the idea at first because it didn't seem logical to regulate 90 psi down to under 10.