Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #46
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
I sure would like to sponsor the materials for a second get'up mount and tubing, since yer just slappin' it together so quick. Of course, I would have to save up extra to buy the matching whistle, but I could manage. Then I would just have offer to mount it on my bike, you know, fer the sake of enjoy'in it.

Wadda'ya say, shall I start flooding your paypal account with $1 biils?

All right I'll stop bother'in ya with nonsense and let you get the real work done.
Thanks for the thought. I never had any intention to make more KTM turbos but... things keep coming up that make me think "Wow I coulda made it better this way" or "Damn I wish I had a do over". Case in point, the muffler design. Its all angles and everyone of them different. I feel like a carpenter trying to trim out a room where every wall is at a different angle. Major pain in the but.

Past stable : 90 +
Tommy_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #47
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

When the turbo position was decided on I assumed I could find a hose with an appropriate tapered 90 degree elbow. Well I just paged through the radiator hoses at Autozone.com. They show 10 hoses per page and have 79 pages. I found what I needed but of course it was on page 70. So I looked at about 700 hoses. That's about it for today's progress.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #48
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,010
Not cheap but the best for turbos.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #49
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Not cheap but the best for turbos.
Nice. If I'd know about that site I might have actually coughed up the $62. Autozone's was only $10 but I lost a whole evening searching. Using radiator hose for the charge tube is actually not a concern. On a bike peak boost will probably never last more than 10 seconds, with me riding anyway. That's not long enough to get really hot. I have a car with a Novi blower and the continuous boost gets the pluming too hot to touch.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #50
Quedok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Rubber Hose

I hope you don't plan on using that rubber radiator hose for your compressor discharge. It will not stand up to the high temperatures that the turbo puts out under boost. You should look into a molded silicone hose or possibly a cast aluminum one if you need such a tight radius elbow. Trust me on this one.
Quedok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #51
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,032
I agree with the rubber hose on compressor discharge.
I used one on my 15lb dragbike for two seasons no worries.
It lasted on the street for one trip across the city.....

Heat-proofing......perhaps investigate the turbine wraps, I have used curved 2mm ally plate before to make a heatshield (2mm alloy, then rolled over exhaust wrap, the 2mm alloy.....makes up a flexible sandwich construction heatshield, really cheap, pop-rivet together). If you use stainless pipe into the turbine, you can wrap the last foot for extra protection without corrosion effects.

PLEASE, please, please, could you give me an Ebay link to these "Chiturbo's"? I have looked, but can't seem to find it. I've got 3 turbo's in the shed and 2 blowers, and ALL of them aren't quite right for my bike.

Have fun man! (Living vicariously thru ur work coz I don't have the time myself!)
Old 02-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #52
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

I think I'll be OK with the rubber hose in this application. Three reasons why are :

1) With this setup it won't be getting a lot of radiant heat from the headers, like most turbo bikes
2) I'm definitely planning to water inject! I love love water injection
3) At the low boost I'm planning the turbocharger outlet temp should peak around 99 C or 210 F. Radiator hose is made for more than that.

I may be wrong and time will tell. Inputs are much appreciated in any case.

Modnrod, here is an ebay seller that has never disappointing me and has a lot of stuff

http://stores.ebay.com/ETD-Motors?_rdc=1

Attached Images

Old 02-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #53
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Oops, I just caught that I put 20 pounds boost in the calculator. I meant to put in 6 psi boost + 14.7 psi atmospheric pressure ~ 20 psi absolute.

So actually the turbocharger outlet temp is quite a bit less - under 150 F.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #54
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quedok View Post
I hope you don't plan on using that rubber radiator hose for your compressor discharge. It will not stand up to the high temperatures that the turbo puts out under boost. You should look into a molded silicone hose or possibly a cast aluminum one if you need such a tight radius elbow. Trust me on this one.

OK Que and Mod I made a pipe just in case the rubber elbow ever fails. Its a backup plan because it won't flow as well as the elbow and would use a "non-standard" sealing arrangement.

Attached Images

Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #55
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Most of the parts for the muffler have been "kitted" and welding will begin soon. It should flow just a bit better than one stock KTM muffler. That's what I want. Its pretty well established in Orangecrush that the single muffler mod increase bottom end torque and responsiveness with little penalty up top. And any top end penalty that did exist could be compensated for by dialing in boost.

Making all the folds properly when each angle is unique was a pain. Live and learn.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #56
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,032
There's a lot of fabrication to do anything like this, but you have the skills obviously and the talent, so making the stuff is most of the fun anyway.
Don't stress about the rubber hose mate. It's like tuning the bottle......when it
gets rough under power, back it off a jet or two, then close your eyes when you change the plugs next!

Thanks very much for the link man, much appreciated.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #57
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,826
Thumb

D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #58
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
For an aesthetically pleasing turbine heat shiled, go to walmart. FInd a cheapo stainless steel cooking pot in a diameter about 1/2"-1" larger than the exhaust housing. Cut the sides off the pot to clear the exhaust discharger, and then mark and drill holes to mount it to the exhaust housing bolts.

Here's a how to with pics: I did this on my last Omni. Cheap, effective, and attractive.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...e-up-with-pics.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #59
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
For an aesthetically pleasing turbine heat shiled, go to walmart. FInd a cheapo stainless steel cooking pot in a diameter about 1/2"-1" larger than the exhaust housing. Cut the sides off the pot to clear the exhaust discharger, and then mark and drill holes to mount it to the exhaust housing bolts.

Here's a how to with pics: I did this on my last Omni. Cheap, effective, and attractive.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...e-up-with-pics.

Very nice idea. That looked like a big assed turbo. I'd have to start with a little soup pan.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #60
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Muffler welding in progress. Usually in a turbo build the muffler is the last thing dealt with, an after thought. I need to build one first since its how the turbo is mounted to the bike.

Maybe I won't finish the muffler 100% but start using it as a hanger when its tacked welded together. I want to move on and make headers instead of dicking around with this muffler.

Attached Images