User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
McBoxer OP
Duct Tape Engineer

Oddometer: 43
Cool2 Switched Power source 2014 R1200GSLC

I am looking for some specific help wiring my new Amber Rigid Industries LED Fog lights to a "SWITCHED" power source on my 2014 R1200GSLC.

I asked my dealer to wire up my after market driving lights to a switched source.(Rigid LED SRQ DualLED Spot). They took the easy way and just wired to the battery. At the price they charge, I should have just asked this question on the forums first and saved the 200$ .

Can anyone help me with the new CANBUS system to tap into a switched source. I know the error light will go on but I would rather pay the dealer to fix the error signal than do the electrical hookup at dealer prices.

Thanks in advance :
McBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,124
This thread ought to fix you up. I tapped into the wire same as JetSpeed for my Denali lights relay. No error code, works fine

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...light=switched
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
McBoxer OP
Duct Tape Engineer

Oddometer: 43
Cool2 W.T.F. ! 2014 CanBus is Female HELP HELP

I an still trying to find a switched source to control my Rigid Industries Driving Lights & Fog Lights. I bought the ALTRider Rowe Electronics PDM60 Programmable Controller with 6 circuits so ech can be programmed differently. All i need is a swathed source that will shut down with my ignition.

Another thread on this forum identified a red/brn wire in the harness right ehind the seat bracket that is suppose to be ignition switched. I spliced into that wire for my signal and the results are crazy. Once or twice the circuits shut sown in a few seconds which is what i want. Other times, the dam cuircuit stays live for 20 minutes.

Does anyone really understand the logic behind these fused circuits and more importantly how I can find a simp[;e switch source for my driving and fog lights.

Help
McBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I just used the power to the power port on the dash. Spliced into the power wire to run a relay straight from the batt. Works great on my 2014 GSA. And all the wires are short as there is only the two power wires ran to batt and the wires to the lights and one short wire from power plug to relay. Does not through codes and is switched. Although it does take about 45 seconds to turn off the lights after the key is off. But I like it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Oddometer: 138
The double fuse box under the front seat has four wires. You can take your VOM and figure out which one but one comes on when key is turned on and goes off right away when key goes off. It is the red with thin green stripe wire. Use a posi tap not a 3M trailer tap. If you look a little further yesterday a poster referred to a nifty way to tap the green power wire in the computer connector. I like that one too. And if you really want to do it right here is an article about why you need to have a diode on your relay coil. About page 12 is the good part.
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf
And some interesting stuff on GS electrics and related stuff:
http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/inde...xszdkebklxuaer
Posi taps:
http://www.amazon.com/Posi-tap-Conne...ords=posi+taps
Beecher Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
mefly2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
I went right to the headlight plug at the housing ...
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
kendives
Wish I Was Lost

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by funinthesun View Post
I just used the power to the power port on the dash. Spliced into the power wire to run a relay straight from the batt. Works great on my 2014 GSA. And all the wires are short as there is only the two power wires ran to batt and the wires to the lights and one short wire from power plug to relay. Does not through codes and is switched. Although it does take about 45 seconds to turn off the lights after the key is off. But I like it that way.

I tried using the dash plug on my '14 GSWA as a temporary power supply for my XM. I thought it would go off automatically after turning off the bike. Wrong, at least on mine. Went back out to the bike two hours later to see the XM merrily spitting out tunes with power still flowing from the dash plug. Was I right to think this plug is supposed to turn off like on my '07. Or do they stay hot now?
Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendives View Post
I tried using the dash plug on my '14 GSWA as a temporary power supply for my XM. I thought it would go off automatically after turning off the bike. Wrong, at least on mine. Went back out to the bike two hours later to see the XM merrily spitting out tunes with power still flowing from the dash plug. Was I right to think this plug is supposed to turn off like on my '07. Or do they stay hot now?

Well that sucks. Here I thought I was giving a great option and it won't work for everyone. My 2014 GSA shuts it off every time. Maybe not on the gs.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
kendives
Wish I Was Lost

Plug

Mine is a 2014 Adventure. I am going to take it by the dealer and have it check it out to see if there is a setting that can be changed.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Mine is a 2014 Adventure. I am going to take it by the dealer and have it check it out to see if there is a setting that can be changed.

Yep let me know I even went out and tested mine again to be sure.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
szazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
XM Radio?

Which XM unit are you using?

Quote:
temporary power supply for my XM.
szazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
Astolfo
Wicked Slow

Oddometer: 484
Mini fuse taps

Why would you cut into your wiring instead of using a mini fuse tap?
I have used the posi-taps in my boat but after a couple of years I have found my wires corroded mostly, I assume, galvanic corrosion despite using dielectric grease.

The wires I taped using the Posi-taps are inside the boat so are not exposed to the elements as much as they would in a bike.

if you use the fuse taps which brand do you use?
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #13
kendives
Wish I Was Lost

Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by szazbo View Post
Which XM unit are you using?
Skyfi2 - Damn near indestructible
Old 02-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
mefly2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astolfo View Post
Why would you cut into your wiring instead of using a mini fuse tap?
I have used the posi-taps in my boat but after a couple of years I have found my wires corroded mostly, I assume, galvanic corrosion despite using dielectric grease.

The wires I taped using the Posi-taps are inside the boat so are not exposed to the elements as much as they would in a bike.

if you use the fuse taps which brand do you use?
My experience as well - tried to share that here, but it seems most of this forum is in love with the P-taps. I am sure that the particular environmental exposure factors into the result ... mileage, rain, snow, ice, ambient temperature, location of the tap, degree to which the insulation was pierced and filled by the point as well as the current load seen by the tap. It is hard for me to understand the need to expedite the electrical mod / installations on $20k+ machines ... if any of the quick taps available were meant for long term use, why would the factories go to the expense and engineering to design and implement the various circuit connectors when they could just "tap" into the required circuit for factory installed accessories? Trading speed of install or "ease of changing the mod" for long term reliability is hard for me to understand. However, if you trade your ride frequently or don't actually ride a lot, the point may be moot for the initial installer.

Puncture the insulation on (a piece of) similar wire with a pin ... hang it under your vehicle bumper for a few months and then cut near the piercing or peel the insulation back. It would be rare in all but the driest of states to not see noticeable corrosion if you were to cut it open ... at least around here. That as been my experience as well as that of several local service techs. To each his own; YMMV.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
szazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
P Taps

Well Said! Totally agree. No manufacturer of any vehicle or watercraft will use these or include them with any factory accessories for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
My experience as well - tried to share that here, but it seems most of this forum is in love with the P-taps. I am sure that the particular environmental exposure factors into the result ... techs. To each his own; YMMV.
szazbo is offline   Reply With Quote