Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #1591
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyandresen View Post
It would be nice if the liquid cooling and new design allows intervals of 12k or 18k. With my 07 I don't worry too much about where I will be when it's time for a service. I can easily carry the few tools needed to do it. I've done it more than once in a parking lot in a 3rd world country and it isn't a big deal. No concerns about finding the right shim or waiting for it, or finding what shim I need only to find out it isn't quickly available and having to put things back together and deal with it at a later time when the shim can be had.
IMHO The effective valve check interval will very likely increase to at least 18K, maybe 24K as they gain experience with them.

The current Camhead can easily go 12K, and it looks like 24K is not unreasonable.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #1592
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
Wooden stove ooooops, not so easy for a bloo.y foreigner
Radio with valves YES!!!!!
"The invention of the vacuum tube or thermionic valve....."

Never knew vacuum tubes were also called 'valves'. Thanks for the education.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #1593
norseXL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
I don't know anything about the f and k engines do they have rockers? If not then they aren't basically the same. There are loads more friction and ware points which is why the clearance goes out so quickly on the boxer. Unless your going round the world I don't think you need to worry about valve clearance even if they just double it. 12000 miles is a long trip even longer if it's moved to 18000. Do them as part of the prep for the trip at home and your sorted.
The boxers have not had rockers since 2009 when they had CVH (Cam-shaft Within Head)
The new boxers is OHC (Over Head Camshaft) and they have Slipper Type Followers just like the F800/650, K1300/K1200S/R/GT and the S1000RR, With a hemispheric shim betveen the valve and the slipper.
norseXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #1594
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
My DRZ400 is too much for the dirt. wet clutch and slipper will be the major differen

No way in the dirt it won't matter but on the high way i guess we'll see I'm probably will help over weight people like myself if your tiny and like 90-150lbs like BMW clothing line you won't need it. The extra power you have to remember what happens in a desert when you need the reliability. I wouldn't take the extra hp I came from bike 165hp. I wouldn't take liquid cooled over air/oil in a boxer format. I also thought I they didn't do that for a long time because the piston stick out in the air. All the rich guys will up grade to the newest GSs and then the newest next one, and the next one. Never really owning something special. This R1200GS is a special bike it head over head on looks to the 1150GS it the last air/oil you now the one in the 20' and 3o's that are in museums and also it sold a record number over 200,000 in sales and counting The number one bike in sales 5 years in a row and it double the price of the 2nd place motorcycle.
flightestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #1595
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightestman View Post
No way in the dirt it won't matter

... it double the price of the 2nd place motorcycle.
Ran it through Google Translate...nothing doing.

dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #1596
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Ran it through Google Translate...nothing doing.

Babelfish?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #1597
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by rritterson View Post
Yamaha specifies 26k on all of its bikes. But note that Yamaha doesn't have some sort of super secret valve train technology that keeps valves in spec so much longer, they just think the bikes will run longer without needing a check.-+

Having had two yamahas (both sport bikes) that both had failed valves before 26k, I think that, were I ever to own one again, I'd check them as frequently as Honda or Suzuki would recommend for a similar machine. That's in the neighborhood of 12k
Well its kinda strange coming from my 2000 Honda VFR with 80k miles on with NO valve adjustment ever needed..to my 09 GS with valve adjustments required every 6k!
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #1598
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightestman View Post
No way in the dirt it won't matter but on the high way i guess we'll see I'm probably will help over weight people like myself if your tiny and like 90-150lbs like BMW clothing line you won't need it. The extra power you have to remember what happens in a desert when you need the reliability. I wouldn't take the extra hp I came from bike 165hp. I wouldn't take liquid cooled over air/oil in a boxer format. I also thought I they didn't do that for a long time because the piston stick out in the air. All the rich guys will up grade to the newest GSs and then the newest next one, and the next one. Never really owning something special. This R1200GS is a special bike it head over head on looks to the 1150GS it the last air/oil you now the one in the 20' and 3o's that are in museums and also it sold a record number over 200,000 in sales and counting The number one bike in sales 5 years in a row and it double the price of the 2nd place motorcycle.
What the hell are you trying to say? Did you just throw magnetic poetry at the refrigerator and copy down the result here?
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #1599
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,766
I'm sure this pic has been posted before, but it bears considerable resemblance to the spy shot of the WC GS below.

If BMW does release a water cooled Boxer, I don't see much difference between a GS and the upcoming Triumph.

Meaning: BMW will have lost what made them 'BMW', and everything that goes with that.

It's a razor's edge, keeping contemporary while honoring your past. I'll go on a brief sidenote about the Japanese Four offering variants of the same bike in 600 and 1000cc displacements. Who cares about those bikes? They're disposable, nearly identical for all intents and purposes and have nothing to differentiate, no soul.

BMW goes down this path (and I'm sure they are weighing their future), they risk doing the same. Becoming one of their own competition, and playing a game of subtle variations on the same theme. Heritage and legacy is what the European brands had on their side to maintain high sales despite the economic downturn. While a commodity mentality had the J4 staggering on the ropes during that same time.

Think about that as the GS lineage moves forward.

The desire for 'more' needs to be weighed carefully in lockstep with 'how'. I'm sure the Quandts are weighing that during their strategy sessions in Motorrad, as well as conversations with Von Kunheim.

Because if the orientation of the pistons are the only 'detail' that separates these two bikes. . . .then they compete on price point alone. And that's a losing proposition.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #1600
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Naah, close but still so different.
Honda Crosstourer could be nice, dual clutch...
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #1601
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Better buy a half a dozen of the remaining CamHeads, oil em' down and stash them away and most importantly, don't go for a test ride on the forthcoming WetHead, cause dollars to donuts all this nonsensical lamenting, will have been for nothing.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #1602
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Better buy a half a dozen of the remaining CamHeads, oil em' down and stash them away and most importantly, don't go for a test ride on the forthcoming WetHead, cause dollars to donuts all this nonsensical lamenting, will have been for nothing.

996DL
oh.... thats right.... carbed engines were even better.... guess we need to starting collecting all them too...

seriously dude... have you not seen the progression BMW has made? look at the old 850gs and compare that with the 1200gs..... MAJOR improvements.... major ground breaking technology....

go build your post count somewhere else if you can't bring something productive to the thread....
Old 02-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #1603
Ducatista
Smiffy's Brother

Oddometer: 60
I think he was being ironical...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post

go build your post count somewhere else if you can't bring something productive to the thread....
...at least that's the way I read it...
Ducatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:16 AM   #1604
mkletecka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
IMHO, I've found that BMW keeps moving forward and makes their models better and better each year. I'm sure that the new "GS" water cooled version, will be fantastic. Also, I'm sure that there will many used "non" water cooled versions to buy, for those who prefer them.

As for me, I admit that I like the more "simple" approach that this current air/oil cooled motor offers and I'm happy, and content with its H.P./Torque for the "REAL" roads of life (heck, 90% of riders out there cant even begin to "effectively" use the H.P. they already have, but of course want more).

Currently, I'm in the market for another BMW (a new GS or R). I'm a bit torn, because I know how good the current air/oil engine package is and the way they handle, and perform, and I ask myself how much better can they really make it? The fact is, as time marches forward, "typically" so do advancements in design, metallurgy, efficiency, less weight. Anyway, time will tell if my new "air/oil cooled" GS or R will need to be replaced with the new "water-cooled" version???

Mike K.
Dana Point, CA
mkletecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #1605
Callisto224
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatista View Post
...at least that's the way I read it...
+1. But then again, I'm just trying to build my post count!

2009 1200GS
Callisto224 is offline   Reply With Quote