Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #2221
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
I'm sure they could put the exhaust under the seat and would still have full wheel travel for 2 full size bags...(but maybe not as you pointed out Ricardo)
My guess 130-135hp will be the figure to except to keep up with the MS1200 and 1190 KTM out nxt spring also.
I will gladly trade some topend hp for the clean shaft.
Chains are for bicycles or dirtbikes...
As for the heavy Triumph 1200 Explorer the current camhead is already as fast due to lighter weight...
The new GS will ready have no competition except for a guy who doesn't mind chaindrive and high maintenance bills and always stay on-road in form of the MS1200...
What do you guys think why is there soo much space in front of the cylinders?
My bet the clutch is in front of the crank a la Honda CX or ST...(which would not be a bad thing)
A diesel boxer ?Maybe if they are stupid enough to start another war (iran) and bring the price to $1000 a barrel...
Let's hope not !
In 14 days it's christmas...
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #2222
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Yes I forgot that stateside diesel is only used in big trucks and stuff. It's very different in Europe though where a lot of the high performance cars are diesel. Nothing wrong with having 350 bhp and still get over 40 mpg especially when we are paying about 8-9 bucks a gallon.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #2223
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-lust View Post
I'm sure they could put the exhaust under the seat and would still have full wheel travel for 2 full size bags...(but maybe not as you pointed out Ricardo)
My guess 130-135hp will be the figure to except to keep up with the MS1200 and 1190 KTM out nxt spring also.
As for the heavy Triumph 1200 Explorer the current camhead is already as fast due to lighter weight...
The new GS will ready have no competition except for a guy who doesn't mind chaindrive and high maintenance bills and always stay on-road in form of the MS1200...
My bet the clutch is in front of the crank a la Honda CX or ST...(which would not be a bad thing)
A diesel boxer ?Maybe if they are stupid enough to start another war (iran) and bring the price to $1000 a barrel...
Let's hope not !
Go here and then to post #37 to see how it actually looks/works (supposedly) - http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288681

Wet clutch, cases split vertically, cylinders are now part of the crank case, engine & tranny use the same oil etc.

At least the leaking tranny input and CS rear seals will be a thing of the past!

One strange thing about that pic, though, is that it seems to have a set of gears AND a chain up front that appear to be driving the same shaft - which would be a serious problem, since they would be trying to drive the shaft in two directions at once!. Also, the starter motor looks like it's INSIDE the tranny. Probably totally bogus, but who knows...

Beemerlover screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 03:35 PM
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #2224
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,208
Quote:
I'm writing from experience..
Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #2225
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,172
Quote:
Let's hope not !
Crank is on the back and is a wet clutch. Transmission is in the case instead of in a separate case.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #2226
mtbenson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Long View Post
Saw that the other day, a BMW communication refered to the next generation GS as the new R1200GS!
The media announcement actually just refers to it as the "BMW R 1200 GS successor model" -- no mention of displacement or model name. Here's the link.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #2227
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post
Go here and then to post #37 to see how it actually looks/works (supposedly) - http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288681

Wet clutch, cases split vertically, cylinders are now part of the crank case, engine & tranny use the same oil etc.

At least the leaking tranny input and CS rear seals will be a thing of the past!

One strange thing about that pic, though, is that it seems to have a set of gears AND a chain up front that appear to be driving the same shaft - which would be a serious problem, since they would be trying to drive the shaft in two directions at once!. Also, the starter motor looks like it's INSIDE the tranny. Probably totally bogus, but who knows...
Bearing in mind that it is an artist's rendering so won't be totally dimensionally accurate, I think the forward chain turns the shaft that the cam chains run off of, and the forward gear is on a shaft running through the crank that is keyed to the clutch in the back, and drives the gear on a transmission shaft on the front ! Does that make any sense at all?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #2228
Boxer-lust
Banned

Marki here in the states we pay almost 5 bucks for premium or diesel...
A lot of VW TDI's here...
Ricardo I remember your bike but it was a short suspended R1100S...
I know the pictures and wet clutch but still don't know how many hp and if the clutch sits in front of the engine or on top of the tranny?!
In 14 days we'll know...
Can't wait,exiting times for bmw fans !!!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #2229
simoneau
Biker/Adventurer/Retiree

Oddometer: 181
The gears up front run the counterbalance shaft and the chain drive up front runs the cam countershaft, along the same axis, just as they do in the present design. The alternator IMO will be internal and up front of the engine. The clutch is on the aft of the crankshaft, operating at crankshaft speed, thus can be smaller than say the clutch pack of a K bike.
simoneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #2230
Boxer-lust
Banned

Sounds good like the first engine drawings in MOTORRAD thought.
I just wonder what is behind the way-out front cover ?
The clutch maybe if MOTORRAD was wrong...
Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #2231
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post

in 26 days we'll meet :o)
Is that a 21" front wheel? The GNU Image Manipulation Program (basically Photoshop for Linux) shows the rear wheel of that photograph to be 90 pixels in diameter, and the front to be 115 pixels in diameter. 115/90 = 1.28. 1.28 * 17" = 21.7". Measuring the mesh fencing in the background suggests that there is not a great deal of perspective to the photo.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #2232
Shorty
carpe'diem ona motorcycle

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbenson View Post
The media announcement actually just refers to it as the "BMW R 1200 GS successor model" -- no mention of displacement or model name. Here's the link.
Agreed, you won't find the quote I provided there, however
BMW has more than one link

For example:
http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html
Check the news section, under the heading "experience"
Excerpt from BMW international news:

" The launch will be made at INTERMOT in Cologne: On 37 October BMW Motorrad will be celebrating the world premiere of the new R 1200 GS. "

Verbatim from BMW.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #2233
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
Is that a 21" front wheel? The GNU Image Manipulation Program (basically Photoshop for Linux) shows the rear wheel of that photograph to be 90 pixels in diameter, and the front to be 115 pixels in diameter. 115/90 = 1.28. 1.28 * 17" = 21.7". Measuring the mesh fencing in the background suggests that there is not a great deal of perspective to the photo.
seriously dude? Highly highly doubt its a 21". My money says its still the 19"
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #2234
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneau View Post
The gears up front run the counterbalance shaft and the chain drive up front runs the cam countershaft, along the same axis, just as they do in the present design. The alternator IMO will be internal and up front of the engine. The clutch is on the aft of the crankshaft, operating at crankshaft speed, thus can be smaller than say the clutch pack of a K bike.
Was going to make the same reply about the coax balance shaft and cam drive.

I've always wondered why they usually run bike clutches after the primary reduction. I suppose it's just a necessity of packaging.
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #2235
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Sounds good like the first engine drawings in MOTORRAD thought.
I just wonder what is behind the way-out front cover ?
The clutch maybe if MOTORRAD was wrong...
That picture shows the clutch in front but it was a "Motorrad R95 G/S" study in February and not the new engine.

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote