Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #2521
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,334
Well, there goes your tire selection with those new sizes. And they'll be pricier.

They sure did a whole new bike, didn't they? Be interesting to see how it handles compared to previous versions.

Gonna make sure I hit a demo day next year...
Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #2522
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
Agreed. Also, just noticed a power outlet lower right below the adjuster knob. Nice.

I really don't care too much what the bike looks like. Its how it rides/performs. If I want pretty, I will buy Italian.
The voice of reason. Personally I'm accustomed to the utilitarian styling of my GS. This aims at being a bit sportier IMO. Neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. The reality is that I use my GS as a dual sport bike, but wet, loaded with luggage she is well north of 600#. Not exactly the easiest bike to manage when conditions get... hairy. I'd be less inclined to take this one on unpaved surfaces, despite the wet clutch and various other accoutrements.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #2523
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
I asked this about the seats, but is there information about compatibility with previous generation parts?

I'm mostly thinking:
  • Seats
  • Luggage
  • Windscreen

I'm sure there are a lot of differences but wondering if some of those key items are backward/forward compatible.
I wouldn't think any of them will fit. definitely not the luggage because of the exhaust. The screen is a different shape and the new seat can rise/lower and tilt. The waist dimensions are also slimmer.
Marki_GSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #2524
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,430
For me, the thing that's appealing about a GS are:

1. Character of the boxer motor.
2. Comfort
3. Luggage/weight capacity
4. 19" front wheel and the dual-sport ability that goes with it

The thing that got me away from the GS was the lack of performance, which made it seem like a truck compared to a Multistrada.

I'm sure the KTM will be a nice bike, but it doesn't have anything that the Multi I own doesn't already have, and doesn't get me anything I like about the GS.

I find it hard to fault the Multi without nitpicking, but my GS was a bit more comfortable and easier to load up and travel with. I guess I was hoping that BMW had aimed more for the Multi, and frankly I'm surprised that they didn't given the number of former lifelong GS buyers (like myself) who bought the Multi and haven't looked back. I'm betting there are a lot of guys who were on the fence on the Multi and waiting to see what the waterboxer was going to be all about, and 125bhp is going to make it an easy decision for many of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
This might change your mind. 150HP, 17" front and rear wheels, and plenty of electronic gadgetry like the GS.

'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #2525
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
It looks like a GS to me and more power with mimimal weight gain should be considered progress. On the other hand, I'll wait and pick up the next iteration when they improve this model based on a few million miles of testing by you guys.
I don't see the more power with minimal weight gain you mention...3% increase in torque and 5% increase in weight....that's going the wrong direction if you ask me. That HP gain is probably related to the extra 500 rpm until redline....not helpful for day to day power.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #2526
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
Hey! Just noticed what appear to be coffin-style reservoirs on clutch and brake sides of the 'bars. Good thing or bad for y'all?
I like em...not the best I've seen, but certainly better than the pee cups we have now.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-conten...07-500x375.jpg

EJ_92606 screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 02:38 PM
Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #2527
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I like em...not the best I've seen, but certainly better than the pee cups we have now.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #2528
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,015
Quote:
I don't see the more power with minimal weight gain you mention...3% increase in torque and 5% increase in weight....that's going the wrong direction if you ask me. That HP gain is probably related to the extra 500 rpm until redline....not helpful for day to day power.
I was trying to be nice. I bought a '12 GSA before this announcement because I doubt that I'll ever have much interest in purchasing a waterboxer and my 2000 GS experienced more mechanical failures that I didn't feel like fixing right away. So I have a winter project with my 1150GS and a new one to ride, one of the last of the oil cooled BMWs.

I am genuinely curious to ride one and will hit a demo day next spring to experience the waterboxer for myself.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #2529
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
I was trying to be nice. I bought a '12 GSA before this announcement because I doubt that I'll ever have much interest in purchasing a waterboxer and my 2000 GS experienced more mechanical failures that I didn't feel like fixing right away. So I have a winter project with my 1150GS and a new one to ride, one of the last of the oil cooled BMWs.

I am genuinely curious to ride one and will hit a demo day next spring to experience the waterboxer for myself.
I agree, there's a lot I like about the new bike based on what I've seen, but I'll have to ride one first and also wait and see how reliable all the new technology is...but I am a little disappointed in the extra weight and minimal power increase.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #2530
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy alvarez View Post
whoever has $25,000 burning a hole in their pocket, can't wait to buy a new gs and wants to unload their "old" 2010-2012 fully farkled r1200gs for $10-12,000, please pm me! At least some of the thousands i have in farkles on my '05 will transfer over!
+1
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #2531
Sailorlite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
The BMW website's Compare page shows the new GS to weigh 238kg vs. 234kg for the current GS, roughly a 2% increase. HP's up 14% and torque's up 4%. To me those figures, taken together, are very acceptable.
Sailorlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #2532
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,506
Quote:
You might want to reread the specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneau
Note engine HP is max at 7700 rpm, yet tach indicates redline at 9000 rpm.
Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #2533
Chumley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Hmmm.. makes me think that a transformer mated with one of those spikey ships from Star Trek and someone splashed some Salvadore Dali on it...

My brain kind of hurts right now so I'm going back to bed and hope it looks better later.

So does this mean that only Harley will have the separate turn signal switches? Looks like I might bruise the old right thumb and turn right in front of one of those crazies passing on the right.

I made a smooth transition from my '04 GS Adventure to a '05 GS but this is going to take some getting used to.

I'm getting too old for this shit. BMW went from conservative to just wierd a few years back and I tried to keep up with them for a while but I'm losing grip with this "progress".

I need to see it in person and then give me a couple years.

Done.
Chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #2534
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
GS's have never been pretty, but the new bike makes the 2012 look like a supermodel. I like the Brembo monobloc's, and wish my Multi had those. I'm sure it's going to be a great bike to ride, but I was hoping for something that would make me want to trade my Multi, and this doesn't.
i'm with ya on this Joe, i think it looks a lot better than the current GS (that doesn't mean that I don't like the looks of the current model). the one style aspect of the current bike that has always bugged me are the aluminum (unpainted) tank guards, I'll take the new silver winglets? instead. i could see this bike replacing my MTS12St as the long term prospects of the Multi don't inspire much confidence in me. from a engineering perspective the bike offers plenty although the suspension will remain a question mark until i test ride one myself or until writers convince me otherwise. one of the biggest negatives to me in the '12 was its lack of power, that has now been addressed. would i like it to be less heavy? of course, but that too would come at some other cost, the twenty plus pounds in marginal weight are ok to me, and still far from being a 600lb moto. the technological advances (amenities) are welcomed in my book as well.

it looks to be a pretty darn nice motorcycle on paper, and perhaps an even better riding one than its predecessor.

having said all that, i still have a soft spot in my heart for today's GS.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #2535
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You might want to reread the specs.

Jim
OK re: HP, but still concerned about torque vs. weight...I guess we'll have to wait to see a dyno printout to learn more about how it compares with a camhead. I'm not guessing there is going to be much of a seat of the pants change in power between the wethead and a camhead, would you agree Jim?