Regards, Paul
How about an ETA as well
Old 10-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #2568
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
The 238kg (524 lb) weight figure quoted is wet with the tank at least 90 per cent full. That is BMW's claim on their website, for the new bike.

Same source quotes the wet weight, 90pc fuel, for the 2012 air-oil cooled bike at 234kg (515 lbs).

Dry weight for the new bike is not stated; for the 2012 bike the claim is 209kg (460 lbs)

Fuel tanks are the same capacity, both 20 Litres.

So, it appears the GS has gained 4kg (9 lbs) in the transition to water cooling.

Which is the stated 2.7kg for the cooling stuff plus, say, 1.3kg for bigger tyres and the now-standard ABS.

On the torque front, there is more compression, reduced valve overlap, better intake path, better fuel atomising and combustion claimed, better throttle sync, so I would expect a significantly crisper and stronger low-end response. Plus better breathing up top past the power peak, from the 1mm bigger valves.
Thanks for the clarity here, although a little bit over simplified on weight estimates of components as there are a lot of weight savings in the new GS that must be offset by more than the 4kg of additions you note above...things such as lightweight shaft drive, stator alternator, integrated transmission, thinner fork stanchions, and I'm sure many more...perhaps its all put into that massive muffler ;-)
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #2569
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 202
In no particular order:

1. I hope the reduced electric capacity will handle the full load of Gerbings, GPSs, Radar protection, etc.

2. Sad that it appears I won't be able to bring along from my '10GS my Russell, Varios and tinted Adventure windshield

3. The design, while no where near Pikes Peak Edition perfection, is very nice

4. It solves the "what can I get that has it" question by finally adding cruise control

5. I liked the factory accessories (like the tinted windshield, Akras and running lights)

7. I can always ride back up to Shasta to visit Russell

6. I deposited $1,000 at my dealer today to be first in line, he says in March
Desert John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #2570
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Wet multiplate clutch is an excellent move for reliability, even though it will require more frequent oil changes.

New wheel widths are a bit strange [3.00x19 and 4.50x17] but will allow retrofitting of the slightly knobblier rubber available in the "traditional" 110/80-19 and 150/70-17 sizes.

Why no increase in bore/stroke to a 1250 or 1300?
Many would argue that 125hp is plenty for all sane purposes.
But for future marketing?
Probably the new cylinder walls have been planned to have enough beef to permit a future 3mm overbore (to 1240cc). The new larger [40/34mm] valves would become less masked ~ so maximum-power engine speed 7700rpm would hardly suffer. New pistons + minimal machining of the heads = a very cheap upgrade possible, when the marketers feel the need.
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #2571
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Shows the controls from 4:30 on and the adjustable shield from 6:00

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #2572
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Thanks for the clarity here, although a little bit over simplified on weight estimates of components as there are a lot of weight savings in the new GS that must be offset by more than the 4kg of additions you note above...things such as lightweight shaft drive, stator alternator, integrated transmission, thinner fork stanchions, and I'm sure many more...perhaps its all put into that massive muffler ;-)
Yes. I confused myself. Shouldn't have mentioned the tyres. Point was supposed to be that the weight difference was just the 6lbs BMW attributes to the water cooling, or less, as the ABS adds at least the remainder and many (most?) folks ticked that option box on the old one.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #2573
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967

removable passenger foot pegs for the new Enduro PRO mode
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #2574
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I'm betting there are a lot of guys who were on the fence on the Multi and waiting to see what the waterboxer was going to be all about, and 125bhp is going to make it an easy decision for many of them.
That'd be me. Long time BMW guy, and I wanted to buy a GS but this one is even heavier and the power gain seemed marginal. I bought an MS today, but waited until the details of the new GS became clear just in case.

I'll be watching this space with interest because I'll bet the new bike wins many over, but on the face of it, I was not convinced.
Good quality, good fit and finish, the nice gauge package, plenty of touring features; just as expected. People who haven't ridden anything else in the class will not be disappointed, but having tried the Multistrada I got spun around. No Africa plans for it so no worries.

As to looks, pretty is as pretty does in this segment.

Pampero screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 01:58 AM
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:12 AM   #2575
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,086
I have had mine on order for 4 or 5 months now....
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #2576
Starstriker
www.transasia.se

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by g r a n t View Post

First impression: 99.9% street bike.
Actually, this bike i aimed to be MORE offroad than the previous version.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #2577
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnullarbor View Post
Wet multiplate clutch is an excellent move for reliability, even though it will require more frequent oil changes........
Why???
Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #2578
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnullarbor View Post
Wet multiplate clutch is an excellent move for reliability, even though it will require more frequent oil changes.

New wheel widths are a bit strange [3.00x19 and 4.50x17] but will allow retrofitting of the slightly knobblier rubber available in the "traditional" 110/80-19 and 150/70-17 sizes.

Why no increase in bore/stroke to a 1250 or 1300?
Many would argue that 125hp is plenty for all sane purposes.
But for future marketing?
Probably the new cylinder walls have been planned to have enough beef to permit a future 3mm overbore (to 1240cc). The new larger [40/34mm] valves would become less masked ~ so maximum-power engine speed 7700rpm would hardly suffer. New pistons + minimal machining of the heads = a very cheap upgrade possible, when the marketers feel the need.
Who said that 125 bhp is all this engine is capable of? Could it be that they have decided this is enough for the GS but the road bikes will have more? The rt or hp might come with 150 for all anyone knows. There is usually a big difference between the same basic engines of say a saloon car and a 4x4. It all depends on where you belive the GS sits I suppose as in is it supposed to be a round the world adventure bike or is it simply a not very optimised touring bike that makes you look like an adventurer. There are two camps and I am guessing the adventure camp will think this is fine although probably wait until the adventure version comes. The other never leave the paved road camp probably see this as being weak and not good enough. Who knows maybe the power hunters might be better giving up the look and getting something like the 180 bhp 1600.
Either way I am pretty sure this bike will still be a huge seller for them and will keep the brand going for the next 8 years with the odd tweek here and there. Lets be honest the old 1200 was never the best at anything other than being the best over all package.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #2579
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
Like I said from the get-go,the clutch sits in front of the engine behind the front engine cover;a big plus when it comes to maintenance...
125hp/nm are enough for the real world but I expected more to keep up with Duc/KTM on paper...
I/m not sold on the design of the too plasticy looking tank sidecovers and the looks of the gauges.
Also expected an underseat exhaust for 2 big side cases.
Having said that I'm sure one day the watercooled GS-ADV will replace my T-B GS-ADV...
All things considered it could have been worse but as a real upgrade I only see the location of the wet-clutch which makes it much cheaper to replace...Maybe E-gas,too...
I don't see many sales of Crosstourer,Explorer,Stelvio or Tenere' in 2013.
As for 25 hp more in new KTM 1190 or MS 1200 you can use sunday mornings 6:30 on german autobahns going 150 instead of 140 mph;I'd rather have the clean driveshaft...
The more things change,the more they stay the same !
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 AM   #2580
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Wot the deuce?

Wet multiplate clutch, as it wears with use, is shedding tiny particles of plate material ~ the amount [per day or per mile] depends on how much usage/abusage you give it. Touring use will hardly shorten your oil-change interval, but if you are a super-sporty rider with harsh & frequent clutch usage then it would be wise to go for frequent oil changes.

Same applies for off-road use, with much clutch-slippage at very low speeds in first gear.
Bottom gear is still quite tall for any slow work, off the bitumen. (Peak power 7700rpm equates to about 47mph ~ i.e. about 6mph per 1000rpm. Yes, something much lower would have been nice - on any bike with any degree of off-road pretensions - so a crawl 1st gear and 5 normal gears "for the road" would have been more realistic for an Adventure Bike. But that was never going to happen, because it would have been criticised by motorcycling journalists who are largely sports & road oriented. Still . . . we can live in hope that the yet-to-be-announced GSA model will have "adventure" gearing.)
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote