ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #256
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the road to South America
Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvr929rr View Post
Honda found out that lowering the CG even an inch changes the handling/steering characteristics of a motorcycle for the worse.
Not sure where you got this from? I know they had problems with CG being too low in the 80's, when they ran fuel tanks under the engine of the NSR500 grand prix bikes. Even then, I don't think it was solely a problem of the CG being too low - it was to do with being unable to set up the bike (and rider) to adapt to a CHANGING CG as the fuel load lightened.

Current Honda motoGP bikes have fuel under the seat, where it's relatively low and has less effect on handling as fuel is used up.

Trevor
__________________
Super Tenere news and reviews
http://supertenere1200.com
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #257
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry
 
SQD8R's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: The Village: 75°53'34"W, 45°17'42"N
Oddometer: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapCal1000 View Post
I'd gladly let the female marketing manager do the spanking!

By all accounts KTM are real heart breakers. Equal amounts of passion and disappointment.

The GS does it all for me and I love it. Because I love it I want it to be better! If it's the embodiment of perfection from the factory, why all the farkles? Is it a crime to want improvement? Obviously I'm not their target demographic. Even if they wanted to leave the boxer behind, the marketing department will not allow it.

Ironically the 50+ crowd who demands continuity of dated GS design elements are the same people driving I-Drive 7 Series with Blackberry's and satellite television. Might even own a gps too..

Now, where's my brick-phone and what do we need this internet thing for??

You're going to be hard pressed to find many who like the adventure bike just as it is; tinkering seems to be inherent in the design.

Sure improve where marketable or required, they are trying to make a profit afterall and allow the aftermarket to provide the less than cost-effective changes.

KTM, take what you see on OC with a grain of salt; same advice ehre for FD threads. For every thread with someone posting a real issues, there are 5 just discussing or ranting over it without having experienced it.

3 of my riding buddies have or had owned the 950 and all 3 love it. 2 have had no issues and 1 within the 1st 10,000 km of his ownership had to replace the waterpump. All still love the bikes. Issues yes but perhaps not as prevalent as seen here. There's a lot of whining on these threads by people about stuff that has not happened to them. I'm all for improving awareness but sometimes these are not beneficial.

You want to talk issues, hit the Ducati forum for the Desmosedici... I was seriously considering a used one until I started seeing the repairs, teardowns and rebuilds and weeks in the shops threads with none of them over 40,000 kms. Again, I'm having to waft through a lot of rantings to get to the facts but considering the low production numbers - under 2,000 - the # of threads discussing these issues are more significant than the avg. bike forum.
__________________
2006 BMW HP2E: Teutonic Dreadnought
2011 Husqvarna TE630: Swedish heritage, German engineering, Italian flair
2011 BMW S1000RR: The Barvarian Bullet
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #258
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry
 
SQD8R's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: The Village: 75°53'34"W, 45°17'42"N
Oddometer: 7,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
C'mon, that Fastbikes comparo was a joke - as are most of the tests coming out of Brit rags of its ilk (Bike etc.) They never took the bikes off road at all, yet were of the opinion that the GS was the best off-road. Give me a break...

They also mention a bunch of "niggles" about the Super Tenere that no other testers - or owners - have. bad seat? poor fuel economy? excessive oil consumption? No owner has mentioned these as issues in the year the S10 has been available - in fact they've said the opposite.

True it's overpriced in the UK (though not by as much as the FB boys reckon) but I think it compares very favourably with the GS in the US market.

Trevor
Joke or reality riding? 99% of big bore advriders don't take their bikes off-road. Just like 99% of sportbike riders don't ever touch racetrack tarmac. Some tests do go the extra mile and take them off-road in varying levels of difficulty but the majority of KTM, Vstrom, GS, etc. and KLR, DL to a lesser extent, I see are never on the trails where I ride but on the roads I take to get there. They are simply appealing to and addressing the real world where these bikes, for the most part, will thrive.

My local dealers sells out of GS and KLR every season and I never seen more than 1 or 2 on the trails and I'm on them every weekend of the summer - all day.

You've got to appeal to the masses in these reviews to get the sales. That is why I think BIKE has moved away from trackday tests to the BIKE route (road riding) test.
__________________
2006 BMW HP2E: Teutonic Dreadnought
2011 Husqvarna TE630: Swedish heritage, German engineering, Italian flair
2011 BMW S1000RR: The Barvarian Bullet
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #259
kvr929rr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kvr929rr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Not sure where you got this from? I know they had problems with CG being too low in the 80's, when they ran fuel tanks under the engine of the NSR500 grand prix bikes. Even then, I don't think it was solely a problem of the CG being too low - it was to do with being unable to set up the bike (and rider) to adapt to a CHANGING CG as the fuel load lightened.

Current Honda motoGP bikes have fuel under the seat, where it's relatively low and has less effect on handling as fuel is used up.

Trevor

In the '80s the VFR750 handled very well, Honda believing a lower CG was better lowered the VFR1000 and it never came up to the same level. More recently Max Biaggi was having difficulty finishing his turns on the RSV4 in WSBK so his crew raised the motor a bit. It helped the turning of the bike but created some braking instability.
kvr929rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #260
mkletecka
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: dana point, ca.
Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
C'mon, that Fastbikes comparo was a joke - as are most of the tests coming out of Brit rags of its ilk (Bike etc.) They never took the bikes off road at all, yet were of the opinion that the GS was the best off-road. Give me a break...

They also mention a bunch of "niggles" about the Super Tenere that no other testers - or owners - have. bad seat? poor fuel economy? excessive oil consumption? No owner has mentioned these as issues in the year the S10 has been available - in fact they've said the opposite.

True it's overpriced in the UK (though not by as much as the FB boys reckon) but I think it compares very favourably with the GS in the US market.

Trevor
Dcstrom……

I find that Fast Bike/Brit mags “typically” tell like it is. Having owned various Triumph’s, Aprilia’s and BMW’s – I’ve found the Brit review’s are spot on and accurately describe “my” experience with the same model bike they’ve tested and because of that “value” there opinion.

Also, what I like about Brit review’s is that they usually beat the heck out of the bikes they test and aren’t afraid to say what they’ve found, even if it offends (which has been me on occasion- hey, sometimes the truth hurts).

Anyway, Dcstrom in the end its Burger King – have it your way.

Mike K.
Dana Point, CA
mkletecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #261
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!
 
Ducksbane's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Northern NSW
Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkletecka View Post
Dcstrom……

I find that Fast Bike/Brit mags “typically” tell like it is. Having owned various Triumph’s, Aprilia’s and BMW’s – I’ve found the Brit review’s are spot on and accurately describe “my” experience with the same model bike they’ve tested and because of that “value” there opinion.

Also, what I like about Brit review’s is that they usually beat the heck out of the bikes they test and aren’t afraid to say what they’ve found, even if it offends (which has been me on occasion- hey, sometimes the truth hurts).

Anyway, Dcstrom in the end its Burger King – have it your way.

Mike K.
Dana Point, CA
I have to agree that usually I can understand how magazines like "Bike" came to their conclusions. They often have problems with Adventure bikes because they don't always ride them off road and have complained at times about things like "excessive" suspension movement for on road use.

However to be fair most of them have been better with this lately.

In summary ... most of the time I find them pretty fair, accurate and useful. If you don't like what they say, well ....
__________________
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Bourke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:24 AM   #262
Pete NL
Almost there
 
Pete NL's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Oddometer: 51
a little closer ...





hey, at least we have a new windscreen
__________________
R1200 GS
Pete NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #263
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........
 
Gezerbike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere......
Oddometer: 3,318
Well, according to this Craigslist ad out of Chicago, the water cooled boxer has been around for a while ........


Beautiful 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventurer up for sale.

low miles, 13,600
all service preformed by Chicago BMW, verifiable
garage kept
comes with rear BMW center carrying case
lower seat, also comes with original black and yellow pattern seat still in new condition

This is the Adventurer model. Research specs online.
It comes with:
extra large gas tank
adjustable Enduro suspension
Enduro transmission
heated hand grips
ABS brakes, w/manual over-ride
engine crash guards
tires are 60% street, 40% off-road, & in fair condition
Just had the bike serviced at BMW. Replaced oils; eng., trans, & final drive. replaced; coolant, break , & clutch fluid. Installed new battery too.
This bike is itching to travel. This is a great all around bike and the most versatile I've owned.

Asking 9,000. Please e-mail for more details and reply with BMW GS in subject line.

Thanks, Chris
__________________
___________________________________________

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 AM   #264
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 454
There's a piece in MCN this week. It seems to have been based on the article that Tallguy reported on from Motorrad.

The drive to water cooling is part of the Efficient Dynamics programme, where BMW are trying to maintain performance whilst boosting fuel economy. As such there's unlikely to be a significant performance boost. Given that the existing Boxer isn't thirsty, that should result in some impressive MPG figures.

The article re-iterated the fact that there was no need to make the change for meeting emissions.

The new engine will be smaller, and allow for better packaging. The new DOHC heads will be carried over (something I predicted ), and the capacity is likely to get a bump up to around 1225 cc.

It sounds like the weight of the engine might rise slightly, but it will allow for better mass centralisation. MCN mentioned an F800 style airbox and underseat fuel tank.

They reckon that it'll be released in 2013.
Graemsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #265
DrunkWombat
GS and Proud
 
DrunkWombat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Newcastle, NSW STRAYA
Oddometer: 2,161
Liquid cooled BMW boxer? They did it years ago.

The BMW R1 prototipe Desmo Boxer engine, built between the years 1989-1992 by Georg Emmersberger (Desmodromics), Heinz Hege and Ralf Lewien.

Aluminum frame, telelever front suspension with WP shock, Paralever cardan transmision, Boxer engine 4-stroke two-cil. , liquid cooled. 135-140 hp@11000 r.p.m Four valves per ciylinder DOHC desmodromic drivetrain, 98 x 66 mm (Bore-stroke), 996 cm3, Bosch EFI , electronic ignition, 6 gear gear box, Dry weight 165 kg.





ht




tp://thetrxproject.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-favourite-bikes-bmw-r1-prototyp.html
__________________
Scenery: That blurry stuff on the side of the road.

DrunkWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #266
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave
 
Ricardo Kuhn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Salt lake city, Utah
Oddometer: 12,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkWombat View Post
Liquid cooled BMW boxer? They did it years ago.

The BMW R1 prototipe Desmo Boxer engine, built between the years 1989-1992 by Georg Emmersberger (Desmodromics), Heinz Hege and Ralf Lewien.

Aluminum frame, telelever front suspension with WP shock, Paralever cardan transmision, Boxer engine 4-stroke two-cil. , liquid cooled. 135-140 hp@11000 r.p.m Four valves per ciylinder DOHC desmodromic drivetrain, 98 x 66 mm (Bore-stroke), 996 cm3, Bosch EFI , electronic ignition, 6 gear gear box, Dry weight 165 kg.



tp://thetrxproject.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-favourite-bikes-bmw-r1-prototyp.html
Thanks for sharing, I have seeing random pictures of that bike in the past, But never the whole story, Truly amazing machine.


I do have a question, How do they get a hold of this fork legs 2 years before BMW release the oilhead bikes....

__________________
I'm looking for a cheap battery for my 11GS so I can get her running again..
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #267
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 454
There are rumours that a new R1200S is due when the liquid cooled Boxer turns up. So there might be something like the BMW R1 in production before too long, though I reckon it'll be closer to the Z1000SX.

I'll almost certainly buy one if it appears.
Graemsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #268
Knee Dragger
Adventurer
 
Knee Dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Birch Run , Michigan
Oddometer: 95
So , when this things do come out . What are we going to call them ,...? Water Heads
Knee Dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #269
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
So , when this things do come out . What are we going to call them ,...? Water Heads
Hydroheads.

H20heads.

Wasserheads.

That's OTTOMH.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:57 AM   #270
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 48,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
So , when this things do come out . What are we going to call them ,...? Water Heads
IF we see this any time soon, we will likely call it a WasserBoxer. That seems to be the prevailing feel I get.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014