Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #2911
radon222
1150GS-ADV

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkWombat View Post
Maybe there is a bit of (odd) German logic to this:

"Vell you tipp ze little bit of oil, and by ze time you have valked around ze motozikle to ze sight glass, ze oil level vill have settled out, zo you know PRECIZLEY! How much more oil it needz. Ya, this is good Cherman logic. Sure, it takes you 5 minutes to do thirty second job, but what price PRECIZION!"

Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #2912
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by radon222 View Post
Like Paladin said right behind you... the Camheads have the sight glass on the left and fill on the right.

Its really fun topping off the oil when you have to keep running around to the other side check the level
Oh, I missed that! Why on earth would they have done that to the cam heads?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #2913
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Oh, I missed that! Why on earth would they have done that to the cam heads?
Because every doofus using the sight glass to judge oil top-offs on the oilheads ended up overfilling them. Oilhead hint: add 4 oz, check level. If still low, add 4 oz more. Stop.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #2914
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,656
For those wondering what a new ADV will look like, this early leaked post from Wunderlich pretty much nailed the look of the standard GS. It also has a view of an ADV model (looks like an ADV model, at least).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2275

Gives me hope that the ADV will look less DB.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #2915
radon222
1150GS-ADV

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Because every doofus using the sight glass to judge oil top-offs on the oilheads ended up overfilling them. Oilhead hint: add 4 oz, check level. If still low, add 4 oz more. Stop.

Hey!! I resemble that comment!!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #2916
Calikatoom
Norcal Moto Nut

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobIAm View Post
I had posted earlier regarding having read that the LED was only for daytime running lights, with HID being the main light. I was wrong about the HID… it's halogen, according to this blurb on webbike.com:
Seeing and being seen as well as possible - these are crucial factors on which the safety and therefore fun of motorcycling depend. This is why BMW Motorrad also dedicated intense efforts to the development of a new lighting unit for the R 1200 GS.

The new standard halogen headlight is not only considerably smaller than the previous one. In terms of road illumination, too, it offers top-level lighting technology for both low and high beam. Intensive tests in the BMW Group lighting tunnel have generated light levels which - given the same light emission area - achieve significantly better results in terms of perceptibility and vision for night riding as compared to the competition.

BMW Motorrad offers an additional daytime running light with LED technology as an ex works option. The unit consists of four LED modules and is integrated underneath the main halogen headlight. The daytime running light allows other road users to differentiate the motorcycle much more clearly, thereby offering a huge safety benefit. What is more, the use of LED technology means a lower level of energy consumption and an extended lifetime.

The daytime running light is switched on either automatically via a light sensor or manually instead of the main headlight using the "Daytime running light" switch. When darkness falls or when entering a tunnel, there is an automatic switchover to the halogen main headlight, providing optimum road illumination to ensure excellent visibility.

So, the question remains as to whether or not there is an LED high or low beam available as an option.
I am at home and don't have the 46 page tech specs in front of me.... But the LED headlight is an option. Halogen is standard. The pics I saw show what appears to be a full LED light assembly. I'll check when I get to work this morning.
Calikatoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #2917
paulhdick
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Pictures worth 1000 words ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Halogen is standard, the options are 1. LED daytime running light or 2. ALL LED, yes, high, low and daytime running light. The picture should resolve any doubt:
+1 on what EJ_92606 said .....

Standard Halogen:

Halogen with LED daytime running lights (below right of halogens):

Full LED option with daytime running light ring, high beam, low beam, etc:

The area taken by the halogen version daytime light is left open on the full LED version for cooling of the headlight assembly.

09 R1200GS

Been riding pretty much all my life. Raced SoCal desert in the 60's early 70's.

paulhdick screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 09:14 AM Reason: added cutaway
paulhdick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #2918
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,522
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #2919
stubmw
some what aloof

Oddometer: 2,444
Wow looks like the LED headlight assembly needs an electric motor and fan to cool it....... engineering if so.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #2920
Parigi
Hoinar

Oddometer: 285
I am wondering how are they going to filter the air going into the headlight.
Parigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #2921
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubmw View Post
Wow looks like the LED headlight assembly needs an electric motor and fan to cool it
Yeah that has me scratching my head. LEDs use a lot less power and should run cooler. That's kind of the point!
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #2922
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by space View Post
Yeah that has me scratching my head. LEDs use a lot less power and should run cooler. That's kind of the point!
True but the heat is at the rear of the LED module, usually large cooling fins required... front is cold. I read somewhere that there could be a problem in the winter with snow not melting, so the fan also brings the hot air from the rear to front of the glass....

Cooling problems is a large challenge of LED car lights

Normally, the light efficiency (photoelectric conversion rate) LED lights is no less than 80lm/W, but the light efficiency of HID lamps can reach up to 90lm/W, halogen lights have even higher light efficiency 201lm/W. According to a recent report, the latest LED technology can increase the light efficiency into a higher level of 161lm/W, which was treated as a breakthrough of LED lighting technology. It is also estimated that in the next 3-5 years, LED light efficiency can be improved by 50% within the same power consuming range. This will not only means that LED lamps will be brighter, but also consumed much less power.

However, lamps with higher light intensity will generate more heat. And the compact arrangement of LED car lights will exacerbate this problem. Even as semiconductor, LEDs produce much less heat than halogen lamps and HID lamps do. But the problem is, heat generated by halogen lamps and HID lamps is usually in the outside of lamps while the tiny heat generated by LED devices is concentrated within chips. Special cooling sections need to be used to conduct all these heat outwards.

Even ignorable heat concentrating onto the small-sized chips still dramatically increases the LED chip temperature due to the limited thermal capacity. The working temperature of LED should keep under 150℃. One solution for this problem is: using multiple LED chips within on lamp, reducing the thermal generation of single chip. Then arrange them in a relatively large space to help dissipating heat. It is an approach that adopted by Koito on Toyota Lexus LS600h series.

According to one manager of Hella, thermal dissipation is one of the most difficult parts of virtual design of LED car lights. The usual process is evaluation and optimization through related simulation software. The selection of simulation package must base on a large amount of experiment results. Challenges from thermal dissipation not only from heat conduction (transfer all heat outwards through “hot pool”), but also ventilation problems. Obviously, natural ventilation is far less enough, so designers from Hella decided to use built-in fans.

Valeo applied another set of thermal management strategy: they set a safe working mode for LED car lights. When the temperature raise to a predetermined value (alert), the control system will automatically turned into the safe mode by cutting the power by 20%. This will cause tiny influence to the brightness of LED lamps, but can effectively maintain the working temperature in a normal level.

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 10:39 AM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #2923
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhdick View Post
+1 on what EJ_92606 said .....

Full LED option with daytime running light ring, high beam, low beam, etc:
Thanks for the images, Paul. I guess my confusion as to what we're getting in the U.S. arises from the fact that I don't see these listed under the Accessories tab for the New R 1200 GS on the BMW USA website… it only speaks to the auxiliary LED's. I certainly hope we'll see them.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #2924
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by space View Post
From BMW's engineering notes earlier in this thread:

The light unit consists of two LED units each for low and high beam, as well as four additional LED units for daytime running light and side light. These are mounted on a central heat sink made of die-cast aluminium.

Behind the heat sink there is an axial fan. An additional air ducting element directs the warm air onto the glass panel, thereby generating air circulation inside the headlight. This air circulation ensures decondensation of the headlight, also contributing actively to de-icing of the lens in winter.

On this topic, it's also interesting to note the following:

The option also includes a rear light with two light bands, making for an even more high-quality rear view.

So it sounds like the LED tail light only comes on the bike if you order the LED headlight...I guess mixing the two is bad lighting karma ;-)
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #2925
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
If I spend that much money I want LED all around. I'll wait.
Can you image how much a complete front headlight LED replacement module would cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
From BMW's engineering notes earlier in this thread:

The light unit consists of two LED units each for low and high beam, as well as four additional LED units for daytime running light and side light. These are mounted on a central heat sink made of die-cast aluminium.

Behind the heat sink there is an axial fan. An additional air ducting element directs the warm air onto the glass panel, thereby generating air circulation inside the headlight. This air circulation ensures decondensation of the headlight, also contributing actively to de-icing of the lens in winter.

On this topic, it's also interesting to note the following:

The option also includes a rear light with two light bands, making for an even more high-quality rear view.

So it sounds like the LED tail light only comes on the bike if you order the LED headlight...I guess mixing the two is bad lighting karma ;-)
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote