ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #2926
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobIAm View Post
Thanks for the images, Paul. I guess my confusion as to what we're getting in the U.S. arises from the fact that I don't see these listed under the Accessories tab for the New R 1200 GS on the BMW USA website… it only speaks to the auxiliary LED's. I certainly hope we'll see them.
Accessories are just that, they are not the same as options. It clearly states LED headlight in the BMW USA description.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #2927
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.
 
NoobIAm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Accessories are just that, they are not the same as options. It clearly states LED headlight in the BMW USA description.
Technically, you are correct… however, they show several options under that tab… Akrapovic silencer, another windscreen, various footpegs, etc. So my point remains… they have introduced an element of confusion (at this point in time), by not calling out the headlight options. But, it wouldn't be marketing without such, now would it…
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #2928
Sltx1050
Adventurer
 
Sltx1050's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: St louis, MO
Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkletecka View Post
The new WC/GS looks very, very promising (I really like it). However, whats its wheelbase and head angle? If BMW went to "sport" with these changes, I just might stay old school with the previous version, because of its near perfect balance of canyon carving/stay with sport bikes and ability to tour.
The Wheelbase is dead identical and the was only slighty changed
__________________
'13 R 1200 GSA, '84 R 100 CS, '10 Husky TXC250
Sltx1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #2929
stubmw
some what aloof
 
stubmw's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 2,443
Well maybe it's just me, but any design where you need a fan to cool the head light seems kind of ridiculous. More so on a MC that has adventure pretensions.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #2930
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubmw View Post
Well maybe it's just me, but any design where you need a fan to cool the head light seems kind of ridiculous. More so on a MC that has adventure pretensions.
Embrace the future! Anything is better than the frequent halogen bulb outages and broken spring clips, right? LEDs handle vibration very well...I have one on my mt bike.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #2931
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
34W lo-beam and hi-beam LED?

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #2932
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.
 
NoobIAm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubmw View Post
Well maybe it's just me, but any design where you need a fan to cool the head light seems kind of ridiculous. More so on a MC that has adventure pretensions.
As stated somewhere earlier, the fan does more than cool… it is used to dehumidify and deice the lens by blowing the heat from the chips against it.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #2933
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobIAm View Post
Technically, you are correct… however, they show several options under that tab… Akrapovic silencer, another windscreen, various footpegs, etc. So my point remains… they have introduced an element of confusion (at this point in time), by not calling out the headlight options. But, it wouldn't be marketing without such, now would it…
Those are accessories, not options, just as they've always been and are on any other BMW model. You buy them from the parts department.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #2934
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.
 
NoobIAm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
34W lo-beam and hi-beam LED?
Most probably achieved by the design of the reflector. Two separate, but equal LED's… one concentrated for Hi and the other spread out for Lo.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #2935
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ua the Destroyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Portland
Oddometer: 232
I thought low beam headlights on all US motorcycles were required to be on at all times. Wouldn't that make the integrated u shaped ring pointless in the states if the low beam light in the housing was always illuminated? The u shaped light is not a a low beam headlight, it's just a daytime marker correct? That might explain the halogen light with non-integrated led daytime running light, it's a way of meeting us regulations, but giving us some led technology.

Ua the Destroyer screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 10:42 AM
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #2936
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.
 
NoobIAm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Those are accessories, not options, just as they've always been and are on any other BMW model. You buy them from the parts department.
Well…. I would submit that any "accessory" requiring that BMW install it, could rightly be classed as an option… especially where it replaces a stock item. But you say tomato, I say tahmahto…
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #2937
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: S. W. Mssouri
Oddometer: 5,569
A HID capsule and halogen capsule really don't care much how hot they run. Electronics components do. So all that will happen if your halogen capsule operates at 250C air is more light, an led would fail right away. Also, keeping the LED cooler will really extend its life, if you keep it at 100F over 150 F the life is much longer. Good reason to use the fan.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #2938
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
So we have 2 different DRL's. One nice U-shaped and the other large module below the high beam. Both aren't considered lo-beams, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ua the Destroyer View Post
I thought low beam headlights on all US motorcycles were required to be on at all times. Wouldn't that make the integrated u shaped ring pointless in the states if the low beam light in the housing was always illuminated? The u shaped light is not a a low beam headlight, it's just a daytime marker correct? That might explain the halogen light with non-integrated led daytime running light, it's a way of meeting us regulations, but giving us some led technology.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #2939
sbrownn
SlowMo
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 457
Just guessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
28K how did you come up with that?
I don't know. There are at least 5 add on packages and I figured they would cost about $1500 apiece. I'm sure I am wrong but the fact remains that a lot of the stuff that comes standard on the Multi will be added to the base price of the BMW. Don't get me wrong I would much prefer the BMW but I'm not sure I want to bend over that far.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #2940
stubmw
some what aloof
 
stubmw's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Embrace the future! Anything is better than the frequent halogen bulb outages and broken spring clips, right? LEDs handle vibration very well...I have one on my mt bike.
If we now require cooling/dehumidifying fans on our motorcycle headlights the future seems complex.

I guess as long as it's reliable as an anvil it won't matter.
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014