Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #2956
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Cooling problems is a large challenge of LED car lights.
HoLEE crap, batman! tallguy-09 FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Embrace the future!
That's what they said about the "permanent" FD oil fill.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #2957
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
HoLEE crap, batman! tallguy-09 FTW!

That's what they said about the "permanent" FD oil fill.
Next version will have oil then water cooled LED lights, haha
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #2958
MadOne
n00b

Oddometer: 3
New guy here looking for my first r1200 and I have been waiting since 2011 for this one... Is there any word on an Adventure model release?
MadOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #2959
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Na ... it opens a new class of bikes: Sporkbikes.
Would a sporkbike find it's native habitat to be KFC rather than Starbucks?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #2960
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOne View Post
New guy here looking for my first r1200 and I have been waiting since 2011 for this one... Is there any word on an Adventure model release?
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #2961
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Would a sporkbike find it's native habitat to be KFC rather than Starbucks?
I hope not. I don't like fried chicken that much ... but I do like a good coffee and Starbucks isn't too bad.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #2962
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Gear ratios

Occurred to me to look into what BMW has done with the transmission ratios.

Using the ratios at this link for the 2008 bike (changed apparently from the original 04/05), and taking it that the 2012 has stuck with the 2008 spec, it looks like the 2013 bike is geared about 5 per cent taller overall in top gear.

You would hope for a taller high gear to take advantage of the claimed extra torque through the range and crisper response (at least I would). Nice.

The change comes from a taller primary drive ratio - 1:1.65, up from 1:1.74 - with unchanged top-gear and final drive ratios.

To compensate for the taller primary, they have lowered first gear, but only by half as much. They have also lowered second, by the full five per cent.

Third is the same ratio internally for both models.

Fourth on the 2013 is marginally taller internally (about half of one percent), whereas fifth is marginally shorter.

That's by my somewhat shaky reckoning. You can find the 2013 ratios at the bottom of this post here, quoting the press kit.

Overall then, compared with the model it replaces, it looks as though the new water boxer will have a 2.5 per cent taller first gear, same second gear, and a significantly bigger jump to third, with third-sixth all about 5 percent taller than before.

However, fourth has been moved a little further away from third, and fifth brought back towards fourth.

How will it all work? Insight from owners of recent models welcome.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #2963
MadOne
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post

So you're saying there is a release date?

Ducati's presently... I have no desire for another dry clutch.
MadOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #2964
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Occurred to me to look into what BMW has done with the transmission ratios.

Using the ratios at this link for the 2008 bike (changed apparently from the original 04/05), and taking it that the 2012 has stuck with the 2008 spec, it looks like the 2013 bike is geared about 5 per cent taller overall in top gear.

You would hope for a taller high gear to take advantage of the claimed extra torque through the range and crisper response (at least I would). Nice.

The change comes from a taller primary drive ratio - 1:1.65, up from 1:1.74 - with unchanged top-gear and final drive ratios.

To compensate for the taller primary, they have lowered first gear, but only by half as much. They have also lowered second, by the full five per cent.

Third is the same ratio internally for both models.

Fourth on the 2013 is marginally taller internally (about half of one percent), whereas fifth is marginally shorter.

That's by my somewhat shaky reckoning. You can find the 2013 ratios at the bottom of this post here, quoting the press kit.

Overall then, compared with the model it replaces, it looks as though the new water boxer will have a 2.5 per cent taller first gear, same second gear, and a significantly bigger jump to third, with third-sixth all about 5 percent taller than before.

However, fourth has been moved a little further away from third, and fifth brought back towards fourth.

How will it all work? Insight from owners of recent models welcome.
Good info, but your comments about first gear seem contradictory saying they lowered first gear, which would be great, but then later you say 2.5 percent taller first gear?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #2965
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOne View Post
So you're saying there is a release date?

Ducati's presently... I have no desire for another dry clutch.
No release date, but adventure model is always at least a year after GS, so given that GS won't be out until March/April at the earliest, you can expect at least a year from then. The current model adventure will remain in production.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #2966
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Good info, but your comments about first gear seem contradictory saying they lowered first gear, which would be great, but then later you say 2.5 percent taller first gear?
The primary drive is about 5 per cent taller. The final drive is the same. If the internal ratios were unchanged, then every gear would be 5 per cent taller.

However, they have lowered the internal ratio for first about 2.5 per cent. (and changed others, as above). That compensates for the taller primary, but not fully. Hence, overall, it looks like first gear on the new bikes will be taller than on the old.

My guess: they think that would be nicer for street riding, and hope that the multi-plate wet clutch and better low-speed running will make up for it in the dirt.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #2967
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,000
Talking Luddites

It's incredible how many luddites lurk on this thread totally against any- and everything new!
If you don't want to buy or embrace new thechnology so be it.
Get a bicycle with a dynamo and pedal away happy in the knowledge that some new invention won't hinder your progress, or maybe just to be sure, dump the bike and walk barefoot and naked, then there won't be any man made inventions to hinder your life.
Get a life, noone gives a rats ....
Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #2968
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,166
Luddites rejecting LEDs on a bike w/ an engine designed in 1923.

[inigomontoya]You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.[/inigomontoya]

Not a fan of the look, but I really like this color-
Old 10-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #2969
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,362
Maybe their comments are based not on wanting or rejecting something new, but from past experience ? BMWs' track record on new bikes has not been exactly stellar in the last decade. As electonics and technolgy add additional costs, to to keep costs down, they have to skimp somewhere. Did you notice that when the hexhead came out, they did not have the nice integrated switch gear the oilheads had ? Or that there no longer was the plastic cover over the starter ?

From the sounds of it, you don't have a Skant K 1200GT in your garage. In 3 years of production, 2 different cam chain tensioners ( but if you have 12,000 + miles, don't install the upgraded model, unless you change the cam chain and rails, all at YOUR costs ). At least 2 different clutch designs. 2 different locations for the drain plug for the rear drive ( which originally was designed to never be changed ). ABS pump motors that fail ( and cost $ 2,000 to replace ). The list goes on, but these were the major ones. Oh, on my 07 GT, whcih to date has not suffered any major issues other than the cam chain rattling on some start ups, which my service manager says to never turn bike off while it is rattling ) BMW decided to discontinue the manufacturing of the side panels of the fairing. If I need a new side fairing, for whatever reason, I will have to get the K 1300GT panel for the side that neeeds repairing, and if I want it to match the other side, I have to replace that one as well. BMW will give you the other side for free in most cases, but you will have to pay to have it painted. About $ 300 to 400 in most cases I have heard of. I have friend who has a 1600GTL, and if you read up on them, he had a problem with that fancy switch gear on the left handle bar, as have many, many others. BMW is replacing them under warranty. But he was told by the dealer that repaced his is that his will probably have to be changed again as a newer one is coming ( from a different supplier ).

Don't get me wrong, I love my BMWs'. My 1100 GS is the best I have ever owned, and the GT is exhilerating to say the least. But I don't have the confidence in the GT as I do in the GS. Going to Potosi this week, and the GT will probably stay home ...again. So, not being a naysayer or afraid of new technology, I'll sit back and see how the new bike goes before even considering one of these.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #2970
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,391
I plan to be the the test pilot when I am allowed to order one. Ain't skeerd
little foot is offline   Reply With Quote