Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You still don't get it.

Air
Oil
Hex
Cam
Wet

See a pattern? Three letters, one syllable, simple and representative.

Jim
Made sense the first time around. Still makes sense now.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #3092
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
The K unit is designed for bikes weighing 200 pounds more, with 160+ HP. Yeah, stronger.

Jim
Ok, that is a reasonable line of logic. Where I start to wonder is when I read in the press materials words to the effect of "optimized light weight" drive shaft. In other words, how sure are we that this is really the same unit as on the big K16? (if that is what you were saying.)
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #3093
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Ok, that is a reasonable line of logic. Where I start to wonder is when I read in the press materials words to the effect of "optimized light weight" drive shaft. In other words, how sure are we that this is really the same unit as on the big K16? (if that is what you were saying.)
Look up the part numbers.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #3094
Lunchboxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
new tires ?

I may have missed comments on the new tires, being such a lengthy post. The thread pattern and a closer look a the photos I seem to read Anakee in some and Metzeler in others 120/70 R19 and 170/60 R17 for the new Water Box versus 110/80 R19 and 150/70 of the oil heads.
So that means we get to use the newer tires on our current bikes? any information on this new tires?

BMW R65, BMW K75-S, BMW R-1150 GS, BMW R-1200 GSA
Lunchboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #3095
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchboxer View Post
I may have missed comments on the new tires, being such a lengthy post. The thread pattern and a closer look a the photos I seem to read Anakee in some and Metzeler in others 120/70 R19 and 170/60 R17 for the new Water Box versus 110/80 R19 and 150/70 of the oil heads.
So that means we get to use the newer tires on our current bikes? any information on this new tires?

Yes, I missed it!

http://translate.google.ca/translate...ed=0CCIQ7gEwAA

Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #3096
ricochet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Hugger View Post
Hehe!

I think we should call it the Prawn-head.
[QUOTE=jfslater98;19741583]

Anyone else seeing a little of this from the front of the bike?

I see it looking more like .. .hehe

04 1200C Montauk (SOLD)
03 Piaggio X9 Amalfi(SOLD)

ricochet screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 08:39 AM
ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #3097
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
Look up the part numbers.
So, got access to that, do ya?

. .
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #3098
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
given how i intend to use the bike, Continental Road Attack 2s will be adorning mine.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #3099
kvr929rr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Given the silliness we experienced last time, has anyone heard about the Heidenau K60 availability for this bike? Will it be in time for the next gen of the WetHead when they change the tire size again?
kvr929rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #3100
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
I just noticed the angles in the new bike's exhaust header. I wonder if this is as efficient as the header on the current 1200s? Or did the engineers have to compromise a bit of flow at the outflow side to get improved efficiencies on the intake side?

I haven't read this entire thread, so my apologies if this is a repeat.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #3101
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Quote:
That is why an OILhead. Don't over think it. It is a Wethead.

Jim
I haven't been on the ball lately, but I promise that the GSpot FAQ will use Wethead without exception.
If you want: Call a vote and watch me not change my mind.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #3102
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchboxer View Post
If memory serves me, I believe I read on the spec sheets and used my math skillz to determine the wheels on the New R1200GS for both front and rear are a half-inch wider than the current model.

Conceivably you could squeeze the new tire sizes on our rims, but not likely. I know a 5.5" rear and a 190 do not work, but a 6.0" rear and a 190 will...
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #3103
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Sorry, broken link and this was buried, thought I'd bring it current for those that haven't seen it.

Pic shows up when I'm in edit mode, but not when saved???

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s253/...5acbadb40fffb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Look what I found!

Dyno graph for new GS

EJ_92606 screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 11:46 AM
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #3104
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
E-gas and cruise control.
An electromotive throttle actuator is now used for the first time in a GS motorcycle. Here, rider commands are passed on directly by the sensor in the accelerator twist grip to the engine control system; this then regulates the throttle valve electronically. The use of the E-gas system provides a significant improvement in terms of controllability and response. What is more, the rider can adapt engine characteristics to the situation on the road by means of five modes (optional extra). It was also possible to include an electronic cruise control function (optional extra).
ASC and riding modes as an optional extra: five freely selectable modes - “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic”, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro”.

For optimum adaptation to the rider’s individual needs and purpose, the new R 1200 GS now offers five freely selectable riding modes for the first time: these are an ex works option and feature three different E-gas settings and with varying engine characteristics. Linked to this is Automatic Stability Control ASC with a special enduro configuration. If this option is chosen, BMW Motorrad ABS, ASC and - if installed - the semiactive suspension are all adapted to the respectiveprofiles of these five modes
Semiactive suspension: BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA for optimum riding dynamics in every situation as an ex works option.

The new semiactive suspension BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) taps into a whole new range of possibilities as well as providing maximum riding safety and performance. Dynamic ESA monitors the vertical movement of front and rear wheel control as well as other parameters by means of a spring travel sensor in each position, and adapts the damping automatically to the situation depending on riding conditions and the manoeuvres being carried out. Damping adjustment at front and rear is effected by means of electrically controlled regulation valves.

ASC and riding modes as an optional extra: five freely selectable modes - “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic”, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” with three different characteristic throttle curves.

In order to suit various purposes such as riding on the road, on wet surfaces or over rough terrain, an ex works option is available to the rider of the new R 1200 GS which comprises five different riding modes with three different E-gas settings, three different ABS settings and four ASC settings. To make the required setting, the “Mode” switch on the right of the handlebar unit is activated until the display in the instrument panel shows the desired riding mode. It is also possible to implement the rider’s command during travel: the mode change is made by moving the throttle twist grip to idle with the clutch lever pulled. When the motorcycle is restarted, the last selected setting is always maintained.

The optional feature includes Automatic Stability Control (ASC) in a special enduro configuration for the “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” modes. A special enduro configuration for the standard BMW Motorrad ABS is also featured – this is also used in the “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro” configurations. Dynamic ESA as an optional feature is then also integrated in the system of modes. Suspension set-up is adjusted precisely depending on the riding mode selected (see Suspension section).

When riding on wet surfaces or in difficult grip conditions, “Rain” mode provides especially soft dosage and response characteristics to support the rider, though full torque and output potential are still retained. The electronic control system ASC (Automatic Stability Control) responds more readily than in “Road” mode. If the Dynamic ESA option is selected, the damping of the spring struts at front and rear is softer, in keeping with the conditions.

In “Road” mode, the control systems are set to ensure optimum performance on dry roads. This mode provides a spontaneous, linear throttle response on dry roads. “Road” combines sound, supple controllability with a homogeneous build-up of torque.

“Dynamic” mode reveals the sportiest face of the new BMW R 1200 GS for road riding. An even more spontaneous and direct throttle response, more restrained ASC intervention and tighter damping in the case of the Dynamic ESA option bring the full potential of the machine to bear.

The “Enduro” mode enhances the R 1200 GS for off-road riding. A soft throttle response, restrained control intervention on the part of the Enduro ASC, optimum brake distribution and ABS control in conjunction with the high-traction set-up of the optional Dynamic ESA get the motorcycle ready to explore new enduro worlds. This means that even motorcyclists with limited enduro experience will quickly get their off-road bearings on the new R 1200 GS and enjoy lots of riding fun. The mode is optimised for use with standard tyres.

For more ambitious enduro riders, BMW Motorrad offers the “Enduro Pro” mode. This riding mode provides spontaneous engine response characteristics and is designed for use with studded tyres. At the same time, the ABS function is disengaged at the rear by pressing the footbrake lever; the optional Dynamic ESA shifts into traction-oriented and optimum bottom-out set-up. ASC is set to professional enduro mode and permits considerably more slip. In this configuration, the sporty face of the new BMW R 1200 GS is revealed off-road, too, and the experienced enduro rider can move into an added dimension of riding fun due to further improved controllability of the machine.

Semiactive suspension: BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA for optimum riding dynamics in every situation as an ex works option and BMW Motorrad Integral ABS as standard.

With the optional Dynamic ESA, BMW Motorrad offers an electronic suspension which taps into a whole new range of possibilities as well as providing maximum riding safety and performance. This semiactive suspension monitors the vertical movement of front and rear wheel control in travel and speed as well as other parameters by means of a spring travel sensor in each position and adapts the damping automatically to the situation depending on riding conditions and the manoeuvres being carried out by the rider. Dynamic ESA also responds to an ABS control brake manoeuvre, for example. Damping adjustment of the spring struts at front and rear is effected by means of electrically controlled regulation valves.

The drastically improved contact between road and tyres means that the new R 1200 GS is able to provide a previously unequalled sense of security on very uneven roads and when riding off-road.

Dynamic ESA does not work as a self-contained system, but is able to communicate with the other control systems of the R 1200 GS – BMW Motorrad ABS as well as Automatic Stability Control ASC – via CAN bus.

What is more, the basic settings of Dynamic ESA are linked to the riding modes “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic”, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro”, which can be conveniently selected by the rider at the press of a button. Each of the riding modes gives the rider a damper setting as recommended by BMW Motorrad experts. The mode switch can be used to adapt the overall characteristics of Dynamic ESA, engine control (characteristics), ABS and ASC to the given situation by selecting the various modes with their respective settings. What is more, the damper setting can be tailored to personal preferences in all modes, ranging from “soft” to “normal” and “hard” by means of the “ESA” switch on the end of the left handlebar. The load settings for one person, one personal with luggage or two persons are also set using this switch, just as the rider prefers.

In “Rain” mode, the dampers have a soft basic set-up. In order to ensure maximum safety when accelerating, ASC is set for early control intervention in “Rain” mode. ABS is adjusted for use on the road.
If the rider selects the “Road” mode, Dynamic ESA shifts to a tighter setup. ASC ensures optimum traction on dry roads and the ABS is also configured for road use.

In “Dynamic” mode, Dynamic ESA provides an even tighter damper setting which is entirely geared towards a sporty style of riding on the road. In this profile, ASC characteristics are further tightened, even enabling experienced riders to perform light drifts. Here again the ABS setting is geared towards road use, while also providing a more dynamic throttle response.

The “Enduro” mode provides a high-traction damper setting for off-road riding. Here ASC provides for more slip on the rear wheel, allowing light off-road drifts. The ABS setting is designed for running over loose surfaces such as gravel with road tyres, which have a higher approved level of slip. As on the road, the ABS operates with a part integral function: in other words when the front wheel brake is activated, part of the brake force is directed to the rear wheel. This is a feature which offers a high level of safety over rough terrain, too. Here the control strategy is designed so that wheel lock is prevented while still allowing effective deceleration. Increased ride stability and a greater sense of trust are the pleasing result.

An additional coded plug enables the rider to access the “Enduro Pro” mode for more ambitious off-road riding. This setting provides significantly increased bottom-out reserves. In this mode - reserved solely for off-road use with studded tyres - experienced motorcyclists can deliberately make the rear wheel of the R 1200 GS break out due to ASC intervention adjusted to professional enduro use. The ABS characteristics are specially adapted to this type of sporty use since control is specifically geared towards riding on loose surfaces with studded tyres. What is more, ABS does not act on the rear wheel when the rear brake is applied. Deactivation of the part integral function means that the front and wheel brake operate entirely separately from one another, in keeping with the preferences of an experienced enduro rider, also allowing so-called initial brake drift before hairpin bends.

And when the coded plug is used, the individual Dynamic ESA setting is preserved over a change of riding mode. Without the coded plug all settings are set to default, e.g. when turning off the ignition. ABS and ASC can be manually disengaged by the rider in all modes. With the coded plug inserted, the systems remain deactivated when restarting the bike after having turned off the ignition before.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #3105
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Pic shows up when I'm in edit mode, but not when saved???
It shows up for you because you're logged in to your Evernote account, but you should be happy that nobody else is.

Is there a way to make it "public"? Or put it somewhere else, like PhotoBucket, Flickr, SmugMug.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote