Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #3181
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Wolfman View Post
I just ordered a new GS 3rd on the list at San Jose BMW . That said: Anyone looking for an HP2? ... PM me if interested.
PM sent.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #3182
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
You guys are hung up on the three letter prefix. AIR, OIL, HEX, and CAM are all nouns. WET is an adjective.
Therefore, my vote is for WATERhead
It could be an acronym, too.... such as Why Even Try?

(this should ring a bell for any Reality Hackers in the Bay Area, circa late 80s...)

Old 10-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #3183
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Thumb Weather proof

I'm about to order one bu when out driving today with 5C and some rain I was eminentely comfortabe on my GSA with an Aeroflow.
The new GS does not look like it would protect as well against the elements as my present machine.
Suggestions please wait for the new GS for 6 months of pine for the GSA for year and a half ?
Or buy a GS now and a GSA when it comes?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #3184
Sock Monkey
Banned

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
I'm about to order one bu when out driving today with 5C and some rain I was eminentely comfortabe on my GSA with an Aeroflow.
The new GS does not look like it would protect as well against the elements as my present machine.
Suggestions please wait for the new GS for 6 months of pine for the GSA for year and a half ?
Or buy a GS now and a GSA when it comes?
If wind and weather protection is important to you, wait for the new GSA. The standard GS doesn't have great protection (good, not great). Unless there's something wrong with your current GSA and you HAVE to get rid of it???

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #3185
mkletecka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Ah decisions, decisions, should I get the proven “2009 & north AC” or wait and get the new “WC”.

As for the new “WC” I've been going back and forth. “For me” my 2009 AC GS (which I sold a year ago) did everything about as perfect, as perfect-can-be for a 500LB machine. It was able to stay with and sometimes beat sport bikes through curvy canyon roads (on the street/not the track/below a 100mph) and could tour with the best of them. Because of that, I've asked myself how much better can the WC be? Will it “handle better” or go that much faster? Will it tour better? Will it be more comfortable?

Based on all the improvements BMW has made on the WC, from its new chassis, i.e. new telelever at the front end, tubular bridge frame, rear paralever, all this will/should increase stiffness and equate to a better ride/stability/handling, which is a great thing!

Anyway, “I equate the new WC GS” to when Porsche came out with its new WC 911 (to many it was blasphemy), but it proved to be the better “real world” driving machine compared to the previous AC 911 and I bet the new WC GS will follow suit. I wish the darn WC was available “NOW”. Because of that, I’ll guess I’ll wait a few more months++ and either get soaked on paying full price for a new WC GS, and/or if it’s not that much better, get a screaming deal on a used 2009 and above version. Either way, in the end I’ll be a happy camper, because the “sum total of the parts” of a GS is the benchmark, that others have tried to copy and follow, some get close, but they don't hit the mark in the same way as the tried and proven GS.
mkletecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #3186
Aviatordoc
BMW K12S rider

Oddometer: 353
Maybe I am wrong by a wide margin, but I keep seeing "the one GS" in their ads.
Does it mean there is only one, with option packages for touring, multi , whateva, and enduro? the last of whick will be the ADV. Which also means that the ADV is already done. If you go back and look at the pics, those enduro pics show all black frame and the FD black as well.
JUst hoping its already in a well done and wrapped up package.
:)

Aviatordoc screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 11:55 AM
Aviatordoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #3187
Stub deToe
Stub deToe

Oddometer: 165
While at Intermot I had a chance to speak with Edgar Heinrich, the actual head of Motorrad design for the bike. He said definitively that the first release will only be a GS model with different suspension configurations etc. the GSA model will be a bit later than usual release due to design issues and not to expect it much earlier than early 2014.

In looking at the specs though, I noticed that the bike calls for 95 octane. Problem here, that good stuff is not available in North America, will they de-tune it a bit to allow for 91 octane at best, and in turn will we find that the HP is less than 125?

I placed my order last week as soon as I got back from Intermot with Wolf BMW in Canada and am told I am first in line for this country. I sprung for the complete LED headlight system simply because you Americans are shit out of luck on that puppy, thanks to your California regs not allowing for it. The rest of the world will be getting these amazing eyes. Not sure what they will cost, but they are really, really bright and sharply focused/directed. Won't need auxiliary lights or Motolights with these so that should offset the extra outlay.

Edgar also explained that the cross spoke design used on the bigger GS models is much stronger than the conventional spoke design used on the smaller GSs. They only put the full cross spoke wheels on the top of the line GSs as they are very expensive to build as compared to the standard spokes and especially compared to the standard cast wheels.
'74 R75/6 since new
Stub deToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #3188
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stub deToe View Post
In looking at the specs though, I noticed that the bike calls for 95 octane. Problem here, that good stuff is not available in North America, will they de-tune it a bit to allow for 91 octane at best, and in turn will we find that the HP is less than 125?
Octane measurements use different methods to achieve the final number.. In North America we use RON or ROZ methods or a combination of both .. and it's not the same method used in Europe.. so 95 octane in europe is a little less here..

Btw, around here Petro-Canada sells super premium 94 octane fuel, as does Sunoco.. The Shell station near me sells premium fuel with no ethanol at all, or so they claim with a bold label on the premium pump.

Did Wolf provide you with prices or will that come later? Curious to hear what the extra options cost. I have a feeling the LED headlight is part of a "safety package".

It's going to be a design challenge to create a larger fuel tank for the GSA version: The airbox takes up a lot of valuable space.. The tank can't be wider, it will hit the rider's knees.. can't be taller... maybe an under seat subtank? or a redesigned air box... interesting times for GS watchers
Old 10-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #3189
Stub deToe
Stub deToe

Oddometer: 165
You are correct, there are different octane ratings, at least three that I know of. On top of that ethanol throws the whole calculation for a loop. I am sure that BMW will chip the engine to take all this. To account. I am not so much worried about fuel here, but more out there in the remote countries where often the best is old regular gas. At least the Motronic accommodates for differences.

Wolf does not yet have prices on anything for the GS yet, so we agreed that I would pay MSRP against my trade of the 1200 Classic I won in Sedalia. I understand he does not discount, but then he doesn't have to on new stuff that will be in high demand.
'74 R75/6 since new
Stub deToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #3190
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
As others have said, 95 Europe is about 91 US, so there is no change to octane requirement. It is currently a premium fuel bike and will remain a premium fuel bike with the new one. And it has knock sensors to tolerate lower octane when you can't get premium.

Typically a water-cooled bike has more consistent octane requirements than an air-cooled one. So while the air-cooled one would occasionally ping a little even on the best gas, I'd bet the new one will not.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #3191
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
"Motorrad" edition from yesterday:

"Compression increased by 0.5 points to 12.5:1. Despite of this 95 Octane is sufficient.
The old engine could only do that with loss of power, higher fuel consumption and due to cylinder selective knock control which the new engine
won't require (it's absent); 125hp @ 7700/min - 15 more hp 50/min earlier..."

Quote:
While at Intermot I had a chance to speak with Edgar Heinrich, the actual head of Motorrad design for the bike. He said definitively that the first release will only be a GS model with different suspension configurations etc. the GSA model will be a bit later than usual release due to design issues and not to expect it much earlier than early 2014.

I placed my order last week as soon as I got back from Intermot with Wolf BMW in Canada and am told I am first in line for this country. I sprung for the complete LED headlight system simply because you Americans are shit out of luck on that puppy, thanks to your California regs not allowing for it. The rest of the world will be getting these amazing eyes. Not sure what they will cost, but they are really, really bright and sharply focused/directed. Won't need auxiliary lights or Motolights with these so that should offset the extra outlay.

Edgar also explained that the cross spoke design used on the bigger GS models is much stronger than the conventional spoke design used on the smaller GSs. They only put the full cross spoke wheels on the top of the line GSs as they are very expensive to build as compared to the standard spokes and especially compared to the standard cast wheels.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #3192
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,241
We use (Research+Motor)/2. An average of two different octane ratings to arrive at the number on the pump. The sticker even tells you.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #3193
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
I sprung for the complete LED headlight system simply because you Americans are shit out of luck on that puppy, thanks to your California regs not allowing for it. The rest of the world will be getting these amazing eyes. Not sure what they will cost, but they are really, really bright and sharply focused/directed. Won't need auxiliary lights or Motolights with these so that should offset the extra outlay.
If the LED Headlight is that good, hopefully BMW makes it retro-fittable like ASC.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #3194
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,241
Quote:
Ducati managed to bring the Panigale to California with led headlights.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #3195
Bain Dramage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Did anyone find out what kind of oil should be used in it?
Bain Dramage is online now   Reply With Quote