Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #3361
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDoe View Post
I was just commenting official inseam length spec:
No, you are drawing conclusions from them. Wrong ones I think as I outlined above.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #3362
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The mode button on the left is to change the driving modes (different engine maps. ESA, ADC, etc.. push the button then select with the rotary wheel.
That would be nice but the video doesn't make that clear in my opinion. I think it would be fairly stupid not to do it that way but it's not clearly shown.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #3363
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
2013 GS buyers check this out!

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...-another-forum

Don't know if it's true or not, but I wouldn't be at all surprised.
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #3364
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post

kinda doubt that - As far as I recall - at least for cars - this type of exclusive maintenance is not allowed in the EU. But we will see

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #3365
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Heated Seat

If the GS is meant to go every where, including colder areas where there is snow, how did BMW not think of giving us "heated seat" as an option? I mean it does not require a rocket scientist to provide heating elements an a switch.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #3366
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

That would be nice but the video doesn't make that clear in my opinion. I think it would be fairly stupid not to do it that way but it's not clearly shown.
I agree and there is a whole page in the media information package (page 28) devoted to the controller wheel and there is no mention of any other use than navigation. It's possible that its an oversight by the marketing folks and I sure hope so as it would be nice to be able to control all of those functions with that wheel, but at this point, I don't think it's the case.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #3367
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I agree and there is a whole page in the media information package (page 28) devoted to the controller wheel and there is no mention of any other use than navigation. It's possible that its an oversight by the marketing folks and I sure hope so as it would be nice to be able to control all of those functions with that wheel, but at this point, I don't think it's the case.
It's the same setup as my K1600. The 4 riding modes: Enduro, Rain, Road, Dynamic are controlled by the Mode button on the right side; the throttle must be closed or the clutch pulled in order to change modes, so it's possible to change modes while riding. The left side has the Info button, you then scroll thru the various info screens, same deal for ASC and ESA with the rotary wheel. Btw, the media package for the K1600 contained several errors as well.

I would be surprised if the GPS is controlled by the rotary wheel, and I'm sure the other functions are. I've seen an amateur video where someone was doing just that.. The guy was filming this bike and that bike then he makes it to the GS and starts to play around with the menus... It's on youtube, but I'm not gonna look for it!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #3368
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
I know how it feels, I did this on mine (front/rear), also using Adventure seat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDoe View Post
Yes I know, but on the 2009 GS I have an adventure seat with custom made "hinges" (+ 1 cm height) and I still drag my feet like on a minimoto...:)) (inseam >37 is a b**ch)
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #3369
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
It's the same setup as my K1600. The 4 riding modes: Enduro, Rain, Road, Dynamic are controlled by the Mode button on the right side; the throttle must be closed or the clutch pulled in order to change modes, so it's possible to change modes while riding. The left side has the Info button, you then scroll thru the various info screens, same deal for ASC and ESA with the rotary wheel. Btw, the media package for the K1600 contained several errors as well.

I would be surprised if the GPS is controlled by the rotary wheel, and I'm sure the other functions are. I've seen an amateur video where someone was doing just that.. The guy was filming this bike and that bike then he makes it to the GS and starts to play around with the menus... It's on youtube, but I'm not gonna look for it!
I've watched every video out there on the new GS and haven't seen what you describe. Here it is from the horses mouth.

Source: BMW R1200 GS Media Guide P28

Operating concept with Multi-Controller for the
BMW Motorrad Navigator IV.

If the vehicle is to be fitted with a navigation device, it is advisable to order the option “Preparation for navigation device”. It then automatically features the so-called Multi-Controller which can be used for convenient control of the BMW Motorrad Navigator IV. This is positioned on the inner side of the left- hand handlebar grip and is therefore always within optimum reach. The advantage of the Multi-Controller is that the rider’s hands can stay on the handlebars during operation: it is not necessary to look for buttons.

Operation is carried out by turning up and down as well as toggling to the left/right. This means that the most important functions, such as zoom or speech output repeat, are convenient to operate. If the rider is using a helmet with the BMW Motorrad communication system and this is connected to the Navigator IV, the speech output volume in the helmet can also be controlled using the Multi-Controller. By toggling the Multi-Controller to the right or left it is possible to change between map view, trip computer and media player, for example. Rotation of the Multi-Controller allows the volume of the
BMW Motorrad communication system to be adjusted. Within the menu, any turning or pressing of the Multi-Controller causes the cursor to move and a menu point to be selected.

The BMW Motorrad Navigator IV, available as a special accessory, is integrated in the vehicle electrical system. Data is exchanged between the navigation system and the vehicle electrical system. For example, the navigation system automatically relays the date and time to the instrument cluster or suggests the nearest filling station when a certain residual range has been reached. It is also possible to enlarge/reduce map sections by keeping the Multi-Controller pushed to the right/left for longer.

This connection to the vehicle electrical system also provides other benefits. The chassis number is transmitted so as to automatically release the Navigator IV. There is no longer any need for a four-digit PIN to be entered for anti-theft protection purposes when the Navigator IV is used in conjunction with a motorcycle which is already stored on the device and therefore known. Up to five different vehicles can be stored.

BMW Media- information
10/2012 Page 29

A lock cylinder with a single key locking system enables the Navigator IV to be locked into its holder for anti-theft protection, making the device impossible to remove.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #3370
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,367
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #3371
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Typical BMW boxer industrial farting sound.
Does that mean that I sound like a BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
If the GS is meant to go every where, including colder areas where there is snow, how did BMW not think of giving us "heated seat" as an option? I mean it does not require a rocket scientist to provide heating elements an a switch.
Sure. Doesn't that make at least as much sense as cruise control?

dmac57 screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 08:49 PM
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #3372
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Sounds good. Need to use the embed code.

Would like to hear it with the Akro zorst
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #3373
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post

Who cares?
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:59 AM   #3374
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I've watched every video out there on the new GS and haven't seen what you describe. Here it is from the horses mouth.[B][I]
. [/FONT]
If indeed this is all the rotary dial does, what a complete and utter waste of real estate and lost potential..

The amateur video that I saw was of the guy fooling around with the rotary dial and you could see menus changing on the LCD display.. it was kinda shaky and the wasn't full zoomed in on the LCD screen, but it looked like he was changing settings with the wheel.

On the current line without the rotary dial, to change the ESA settings for example, you press the ESA button and hold it down or press it repeatedly, to select various settings.. The rotary dial would be a far superior set up, I just can't believe bmw would put that on the bike just for the GPS. On the K1600, of all the bike functions that the rotary dial was used to change,the only thing that sucked was running thru the GPS menus! I'd much rather reach the touch screen and select it directly rather than having to scroll thru various GPS screens till I got to the one I wanted.

So in the press kit, the only time they mention the multi controller is in regards to the GPS?? Btw, all that techno stuff about exchanging VIN with the GPS to unlock it, date, time, etc.. is also a feature of the K16, except it wasn't quite ready for prime time when the bike was released. On mine, when the bike hit reserve, the GPS never got the signal so it never displayed near by gas stations and the security luck out feature also didn't work.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #3375
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
If indeed this is all the rotary dial does, what a complete and utter waste of real estate and lost potential..

So in the press kit, the only time they mention the multi controller is in regards to the GPS??
Yeap, I'd be disappointed too. Regarding the press kit, I just did a keyword search again to make sure and yes it is only mentioned in regards to GPS. The full press kit is available here courtesy of Web Bike World

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-moto...mw-r1200gs.zip