monopoly is not nice for the wallet.
Owning a BMW is not nice to the wallet.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:40 AM   #3392
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
If indeed this is all the rotary dial does, what a complete and utter waste of real estate and lost potential..

The amateur video that I saw was of the guy fooling around with the rotary dial and you could see menus changing on the LCD display.. it was kinda shaky and the wasn't full zoomed in on the LCD screen, but it looked like he was changing settings with the wheel.

On the current line without the rotary dial, to change the ESA settings for example, you press the ESA button and hold it down or press it repeatedly, to select various settings.. The rotary dial would be a far superior set up, I just can't believe bmw would put that on the bike just for the GPS. On the K1600, of all the bike functions that the rotary dial was used to change,the only thing that sucked was running thru the GPS menus! I'd much rather reach the touch screen and select it directly rather than having to scroll thru various GPS screens till I got to the one I wanted.

So in the press kit, the only time they mention the multi controller is in regards to the GPS?? Btw, all that techno stuff about exchanging VIN with the GPS to unlock it, date, time, etc.. is also a feature of the K16, except it wasn't quite ready for prime time when the bike was released. On mine, when the bike hit reserve, the GPS never got the signal so it never displayed near by gas stations and the security luck out feature also didn't work.
Is this the video you are talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC61T...layer_embedded

and Indeed they say "then roll it up or down"... chances are good that they are talking about that scroll feature

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #3393
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317
Not that particular one, it was a bit more focused on the display where you could read the various setup / menu options.. but same idea...
Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #3394
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
With only ~35% cooling attributed to water in what BMW calls "precision cooling", so majority is still air, would we be able to keep the engine running for a longer period without risking it "melting"?
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #3395
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
With only ~35% cooling attributed to water in what BMW calls "precision cooling", so majority is still air, would we be able to keep the engine running for a longer period without risking it "melting"?
I guess the same, if not a little better as today's boxers. They don't like the combination of hot weather and running on idle while standing either. Even just running on idle they don't like very much as there is no cooling fan.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #3396
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I guess the same, if not a little better as today's boxers. They don't like the combination of hot weather and running on idle while standing either. Even just running on idle they don't like very much as there is no cooling fan.
The 2013 has a cooling fan for one radiator, the other side has no fan.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #3397
joeybeats
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Not that particular one, it was a bit more focused on the display where you could read the various setup / menu options.. but same idea...
This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=punK_...ure=plpp_video

I don't have a youtube account and have no idea how to post a comment. Perhaps someone here would pose the question in the youtube comment area of these videos if they were scrolling through with the left hand controller or buttons. Maybe even ask directly if they remember what the controller actually controls?

Joey

joeybeats screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 08:51 AM
joeybeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #3398
cug
--

Quote:
The 2013 has a cooling fan for one radiator, the other side has no fan.
I know. I was referring to the old one. Some people tried adding the fan from the police RT, I never bothered to check how we'll this would work. I just turn off the bike when I'm stuck. And I have been stuck on HW1 North of SF and in SF itself a few times. But it's normally not that hot here anyways.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #3399
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
I know. I was referring to the old one. Some people tried adding the fan from the police RT, I never bothered to check how we'll this would work. I just turn off the bike when I'm stuck. And I have been stuck on HW1 North of SF and in SF itself a few times. But it's normally not that hot here anyways.
In the real world cooling was not really an issue so one part of me doesn't like adding water, radiators, thermostat, electric fan.. to the new GS, the old worked just fine with only oil circulating. Not sure what the benefit is for me besides the +15hp. Maybe my reaction is similar so somebody wanting to ad a battery to my nice mechanical watch?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #3400
Aviatordoc
BMW K12S rider

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
In the real world cooling was not really an issue so one part of me doesn't like adding water, radiators, thermostat, electric fan.. to the new GS, the old worked just fine with only oil circulating. Not sure what the benefit is for me besides the +15hp. Maybe my reaction is similar so somebody wanting to ad a battery to my nice mechanical watch?
^^ is true. Gone are the days of a press to brew coffee, even drip coffee machines are outdated. Its K cups and Keurigs. I guess things move on.
Aviatordoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #3401
cug
--

Quote:
Not sure what the benefit is for me besides the +15hp.
I could not care less about the power or the water cooling. Does absolutely nothing, nada, none ... for me. I want to try the new suspension, the new gearbox, clutch combination and the new aero dynamics.

My current bike has 95hp - more than enough for me, don't need to compensate for something and I don't need the "rush" of more power or displacement. That's something for different personalities ...

What the GS is for me is the perfect travel bike. I might like one for exactly that and still keep the Tiger as the much lighter, more flickable, fun machine.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #3402
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatordoc View Post
^^ is true. Gone are the days of a press to brew coffee, even drip coffee machines are outdated. Its K cups and Keurigs. I guess things move on.
That shiat ain't coffee. It's outhouse sludge.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #3403
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
I could not care less about the power or the water cooling. Does absolutely nothing, nada, none ... for me. I want to try the new suspension, the new gearbox, clutch combination and the new aero dynamics.

My current bike has 95hp - more than enough for me, don't need to compensate for something and I don't need the "rush" of more power or displacement. That's something for different personalities ...

What the GS is for me is the perfect travel bike. I might like one for exactly that and still keep the Tiger as the much lighter, more flickable, fun machine.
OK, that's a good point. If the engine precission cooled or not is more fun that would work for me. All the things you mentioned I'm expecting an incremental update over the camhead but not revolutionary, only Apple operates is in the miracle/revolution world but not BMW. I may be stupid but I'm liking the toys, the new windshield adjustment mechanism (where's the electric motor for that?) and the new instrument cluster...
Old 10-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #3404
cug
--

Quote:
All the things you mentioned I'm expecting an incremental update over the camhead but not revolutionary, only Apple operates is in the miracle/revolution world but not BMW. I may be stupid but I'm liking the toys, the new windshield adjustment mechanism (where's the electric motor for that?) and the new instrument cluster...
I'm on the same page. I like literally all the improvements and really think the engine is the least important for someone like me and my riding style. I like all the little improvements and I hope that the new suspension will be better for lightweight folks like me than the old one was.

On the other hand - the new Multistrada has pretty much the same new suspension technology and that is one sexy beast. I'll have to test ride one again when the 2013 models come to the states.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #3405
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,361
Love the new WC boxer, a step in the right direction. I can't wait to see if another S or HP model is coming.

I like the new sound, not anemic as in the past. I even like the side panels that some have panned; seriously, you're writing off a bike based on that...

All in all, a good effort, a nice upgrade to an instant classic / class benchmark.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

SQD8R screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 02:12 PM
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote