ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 02:12 AM   #3511
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 2,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van'Cycles View Post
I still want one, but i hate how they went away with the paddle turn signals.
Yeah, that's a real pity, as I'm one of the few that likes the current switches.
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #3512
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Heart :o)
Oddometer: 3,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Yeah, that's a real pity, as I'm one of the few that likes the current switches.
I'm with you on that one... The 'normal' signals should be an option and nothing more.
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Homeless Otter on the road One month to find the rising sun


Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #3513
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
The 'normal' signals should be an option and nothing more.
An option for different turn signal switches? That would be wacky and a nightmare to keep stock in the channel since it wouldn't be something that couldn't be easily swapped at the dealer level. Should Triumph have an option for right-side-shifting/left-side-braking for those wanting to match their 1969 Bonny?

This is a classic example of a no-win for BMW. For years and years, they've been chastised repeatedly and vehemently for being stubborn about their non-standard turn signal switchgear. So they finally change it and now we have folks up in arms about the change.

This is a tempest in a teapot. Get over it. Adapt.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #3514
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
An option for different turn signal switches? That would be wacky and a nightmare to keep stock in the channel since it wouldn't be something that couldn't be easily swapped at the dealer level. Should Triumph have an option for right-side-shifting/left-side-braking for those wanting to match their 1969 Bonny?

This is a classic example of a no-win for BMW. For years and years, they've been chastised repeatedly and vehemently for being stubborn about their non-standard turn signal switchgear. So they finally change it and now we have folks up in arms about the change.

This is a tempest in a teapot. Get over it. Adapt.

- Mark
Exactly.

I would be willing to bet there are more people that appreciate the industry standard switches than dislike them. While I like the independant switchgear signals of BMW and HD, I really dislike how the BMW cancels...making me do anything with my throttle hand just downright pisses me off. There is no need for it...completely uncalled for...
__________________
'12 R1200GS Adventure
'06 Ducati 999S
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and mostly forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #3515
MANXMAN
Overlander
 
MANXMAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: BRITISH Columbia
Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Exactly.

I would be willing to bet there are more people that appreciate the industry standard switches than dislike them. While I like the independant switchgear signals of BMW and HD, I really dislike how the BMW cancels...making me do anything with my throttle hand just downright pisses me off. There is no need for it...completely uncalled for...
So it's rear wheel only braking for you then?
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #3516
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 52,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
So it's rear wheel only braking for you then?


Linked brakes!

Jim

PS I know a guy who only has linked brakes. His right hand is barely functional.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #3517
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Linked brakes!
Not on the GS. The front lever also activates rear brakes, but the foot lever activates only rear brakes.

Btw: it's in your own FAQ ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #3518
Socrates
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
I love how they went to a normal turn signal.
Same here. I've test driven a GS a couple of times and the BMW turn signals were a real PITA for me. It may be a minor issue but it made me think twice about even buying a BMW. Very glad they changed to the industry standard switches.
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #3519
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Merced, CA
Oddometer: 808
I don't mind the BMW paddle signals overmuch, I prefer the standard style.

But but but but but.

I really dislike the quasi-solid turnsignal switch they use now. Normal setup has a switch with a relatively large throw, but BMWs little nubbin hardly moves.

I also don't like losing the big hotgrip switch with physical states, I assume the new hotgrip switch is just a toggle which you have to read off the instrument panel?
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #3520
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 56,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
I
I really dislike the quasi-solid turnsignal switch they use now. Normal setup has a switch with a relatively large throw, but BMWs little nubbin hardly moves.

I also don't like losing the big hotgrip switch with physical states, I assume the new hotgrip switch is just a toggle which you have to read off the instrument panel?
The turn signal switch is not mechanical, like on other bikes, so it doesn't need as long a throw.

The heated grips button is also not mechanical, press it once or press it twice and watch for the heated grips symbol on the LCD display.

The new switchgear has been troublesome on the K16 with repeated clutch side switch failures and new part numbers for newer gen switches.. so we'll see how it works on the new GS.
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #3521
milo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Clifton Mills WV
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
The faux high fender beak never had any function to begin with.


Down force and funneling air to the oil cooler?
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #3522
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
The faux high fender beak never had any function to begin with.
It significantly reduces water/mud splash against the headlights, it funnels air to the oil cooler, it slightly protects the Telelever from stuff thrown at it from vehicles ahead.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #3523
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Heart :o)
Oddometer: 3,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It significantly reduces water/mud splash against the headlights, it funnels air to the oil cooler, it slightly protects the Telelever from stuff thrown at it from vehicles ahead.
and don't forget about the stabilizing at high speed
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Homeless Otter on the road One month to find the rising sun


Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #3524
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
and don't forget about the stabilizing at high speed
That it doesn't do as far as I'm aware. Their are aerodynamic effects of course, but not regarding stability.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #3525
DannyZRC
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Merced, CA
Oddometer: 808
area ahead of the CG is destabilizing, not stabilizing.
DannyZRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015