Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #3556
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
So it's rear wheel only braking for you then?

lol

silly wabbit.......i was trying to say that while on the gas or trying to maintain throttle and reach the signal cancel is slightly irritating. While writing that comment I was also thinking how retarded my Harley is since the cruise control is also on the right hand....which is REALLY silly to try and hold throttle and then reach over for the "Set" button.

Sorry - guess I should have given more attention to English class in school....i ain't not no good with writin my thought's and whatnot into werds and so forth...
'11 Harley Street Glide - gone and mostly forgotten
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #3557
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post
Plus, two con rods weigh twice as much as one = out of balance reciprocating + rotating masses.
There is no need to have two con-rods - you could have a single one until getting to the limit of the crank throw, then forking to a "Y".

And two con-rods would not weigh twice as much as a single one as each would be downsized considerably as each would see much less stress.

I'm sure there are lots of tradeoffs, but I'm still surprised BMW hasn't tried the concept (or perhaps they have and have rejected it). The opposed twin's Achilles Heal from a vibration standpoint is the rocking couple vibe problem.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #3558
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Too many problems with a double conrod on one side.

If BMW wanted to cut vibration way down, then they would have had to install two balance shafts.
But that must be paid for with extra weight, cost, and frictional drag. Admittedly, they might have re-designed and simplified the new & complex multi-stage transmission in order to come out with an overall "cost neutral" set-up ~ but obviously that decision was nixed at some early stage (and for reasons we will probably never hear of).

Whatever, we are just about to receive the ultra-new model, and there's a snowball's chance that it will get a major redesign any time soon.
Both the new and the old system, with a single balance shaft, reduces the amplitude of the engine's out-of-balance vibrations ~ and it may well be that the new engine has less noticeable vibes than the oldie . . . but we'll just have to wait and see.
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #3559
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556

Welp, I got to sit on the new girl yesterday at the Progressive International moto show. I must say, it felt nice between my legs. You know, it actually feels smaller than other GS's, but maybe I'm just crazy?! I'm about 5'9'' and I'm still on the balls of my feet. The adjustable windshield is very nifty, but the windshield is tiny, so we will see how well it does in a real world scenario. BMW finally put on a belt guard on the tank, so you wont scratch the tank when you get on the bike. There is also an auxiliary jack in the guages for a GPS, charging station for devices or heated gear.
I talked with Bob, the head hancho at BMW Atlanta and asked him if he had any more info on price. He said he doesn't expect it to be more than $500 (stripped down, naked bike of course) than the 2012 camhead; but that's still a guess. I asked him if they got to hear the bike start up or see the display on the guages. He said nope, they just got to show the bike and then it's onto the semi for the next moto show in another state.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #3560
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556

This was a feature I'm excited about. The oil filter sits right below the left head. Super easy to access and remove, no need to take off the brush guard. I'm currently riding an 05 GS, so I don't know if this feature is already on the newer cam heads.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #3561
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,431
^ Khale thanks for the pics. The bike does appear smaller under (your) foot and maybe due to the seat being narrower? As for the oil filter, it resides in the same area as yours on the current model camheads.

Looks good,
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #3562
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
^ Khale thanks for the pics. The bike does appear smaller under (your) foot and maybe due to the seat being narrower? As for the oil filter, it resides in the same area as yours on the current model camheads.

Looks good,
You sure about that? I don't have a cam head but my recollection is its on the bottom of the engine and still needs the bash plate off to get at it where the new one comes out the side and is uncovered. I am probably wrong of course :-\
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #3563
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

^ ah....I was referring to it being in the same place as his 2005 GS which is most definitely underneath the bash plate and on the bottom of the motor.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #3564
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Touratech

Is Touratech there also at the show? Any products by them for the new WC GS?
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #3565
Tubulchain
odaat, atgatt

Oddometer: 206
New water cooled GS

When is this thing hitting the dealers?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #3566
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulchain View Post
When is this thing hitting the dealers?
I am thinking about the March April time frame.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #3567
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post

This was a feature I'm excited about. The oil filter sits right below the left head. Super easy to access and remove, no need to take off the brush guard. I'm currently riding an 05 GS, so I don't know if this feature is already on the newer cam heads.
Well, unless you change your filters without draining the oil, the brush guard will still need to come off. This new position looks likely to drip oil on the exhaust header.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #3568
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

^ Fair and good point....going to need a homemade "oil ramp/slide" it would seem.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #3569
Slippy Chips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Is Touratech there also at the show? Any products by them for the new WC GS?
I was there as well and touratech was not there.
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #3570
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
While writing that comment I was also thinking how retarded my Harley is since the cruise control is also on the right hand....which is REALLY silly to try and hold throttle and then reach over for the "Set" button.
Are you serious? I can use my thumb to set my Road King's cruise control without loosening my grip on the throttle. And I've got fairly small hands.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote