ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #3616
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The North Coast
Oddometer: 251
FWIW I just stopped by my local dealer and they have a 2013 GS as a non water Boxer. A camhead as it were. They are saying the water head maybe a mid year 2014.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #3617
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
FWIW I just stopped by my local dealer and they have a 2013 GS as a non water Boxer. A camhead as it were. They are saying the water head maybe a mid year 2014.
We haven't gotten an official release date, but everything indicates the new bike will be a 2014 model released in 2013, perhaps as early as spring. This sounds like a typical BS salesperson tactic to be pessimistic about the new stuff coming to sell what they have on the floor.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #3618
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
We haven't gotten an official release date, but everything indicates the new bike will be a 2014 model released in 2013, perhaps as early as spring. This sounds like a typical BS salesperson tactic to be pessimistic about the new stuff coming to sell what they have on the floor.

- Mark
I'm missing the BS? He didn't say arrive in mid calendar year 2014, he said a mid year model introduction of 2014 model. I think that is a pretty good assumption. It's always possible they want a 2013 camhead and a 2013 waterhead, but given that the bikes won't even be here until late March or April at the earliest, my guess is it will be a 2014 model bike.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #3619
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Wolfman View Post
Personally I want flexable fangs. if something breaks I want it to be the fang not the fang mount. I crash my dirt bikes all the time (pretty good at crashing...) and their shrouds stick out much further, but just flex most of the time. That said the handlebars, most of the time, act as kind of a crash bar for the shrouds.

No mater the exact price this new information makes me believe that the pricing will be in the same ballpark which gives us a "target" to plan for. I am much more comfortable now (already ordered one with no pricing).

Going to the motorcycle show this Friday in San Mateo can't wait to get my hands on it.
The stiff fangs comment was a joke.....
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #3620
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhdick View Post
What makes you think the new R1200GS will be at the bike show this weekend?? Did one of the shops say it would be there? I hope it is but in my history of going to the show over the past 20-30 years BMW rarely has the new models at the US shows this early in the next model year.

Was in Germany, Belgium, and England the last two weeks and they have all of the new t-shirts, brochures, posters, etc for the 2103 model but in the US even those are not availalble yet. Post pictures if it is there. I was planning on going Sat, or Sun.
See previous pages in this thread, it was at the Atlanta show.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #3621
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Scotland
Oddometer: 441
Can I ask, why are the US models always a year ahead? As in you call say a 2012 model a 2013. I have noticed this in cars as well over in the states. Is there a point in the year where it roles over, say June or what ever ?
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #3622
Coma
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Coma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The North Coast
Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I'm missing the BS? He didn't say arrive in mid calendar year 2014, he said a mid year model introduction of 2014 model. I think that is a pretty good assumption. It's always possible they want a 2013 camhead and a 2013 waterhead, but given that the bikes won't even be here until late March or April at the earliest, my guess is it will be a 2014 model bike.
That's how I took it. They had a demo 2012 Triple Black, a new 2012 Triple Black and a 2013 Triple Black. All GS's.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #3623
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
Can I ask, why are the US models always a year ahead? As in you call say a 2012 model a 2013. I have noticed this in cars as well over in the states. Is there a point in the year where it roles over, say June or what ever ?
New BMW models typically come out in September so not sure why you would want to label that for the current year. For example, I wouldn't want to buy a 2012 model if it was June 2013. I think it's the Japanese that are pushing the envelope on release dates and model years.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #3624
paulhdick
Wannabe Adventurer
 
paulhdick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
See previous pages in this thread, it was at the Atlanta show.
Thank you! Will keep my fingers crossed it will be here next weekend.
__________________
Paul

09 R1200GS

Been riding pretty much all my life. Raced SoCal desert in the 60's early 70's.
paulhdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #3625
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
He didn't say arrive in mid calendar year 2014, he said a mid year model introduction of 2014 model. I think that is a pretty good assumption.
We're getting this third hand, but the exact quote was "the water head maybe [is] a mid year 2014". I agree that this could mean a lot of different things, but based on the situation and my knowledge of vehicle sales tactics, I'd bet that the salesperson is trying to say that the new model won't be around until calendar year 2014.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #3626
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
Can I ask, why are the US models always a year ahead? As in you call say a 2012 model a 2013. I have noticed this in cars as well over in the states. Is there a point in the year where it roles over, say June or what ever ?
By law in the US, vehicle mfgs are allowed to release a MY up to a year ahead of time (e.g., a model may be sold as a 2014 anytime after Jan 2, 2013.) This has typically mean shipping in the spring or fall before the MY, but it varies.

From Wikipedia:
In the United States, for regulation purposes, government authorities allow cars of a given model year to be sold starting on January 2 of the previous calendar year. For example, this means that a 2013 model year vehicle can legally go on sale on January 2, 2012.[2] This has resulted in a few cars in the next model year being introduced in advertisements during the NFL's Super Bowl.
- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #3627
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
We're getting this third hand, but the exact quote was "the water head maybe [is] a mid year 2014". I agree that this could mean a lot of different things, but based on the situation and my knowledge of vehicle sales tactics, I'd bet that the salesperson is trying to say that the new model won't be around until calendar year 2014.

- Mark
That's how you read that?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #3628
Alpha Wolfman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: People's Republic of California
Oddometer: 16
I happened to be in a local dealership while the owner was on the phone with his factory rep who told him there is a 95% chance that the new bike is in San Mateo this year.
Alpha Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #3629
Rauven
I like the cold...
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Tønsberg, Norway
Oddometer: 195
Norway here. After somebody mentioned the prices were released I did some digging. And as far as the official BMW website doesn't have any information yet, there are prices in the dealerships.
The standard version (heated handgrips, cruise control, ABS and mounts for the boxes) costs 228 000NOK (39 733 USD), the touring package (ASC, driving mode selection, ESA, computer, LED indicators, GPS mount, hand protectors, chrome exaust) is 15 705 NOK (2 736 USD). Dynamic package (which is a touring package + day lights, led headlights) is 17 450 NOK (3 040 USD). As usual Norway it's twice as expensive as the rest of the world

They also started the presale with the first bikes ready for pickup at the begining of march 2013.
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #3630
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Copperhill, Tennessee
Oddometer: 3,121
March/April 2013 as a 2014 model in the US.
__________________
Dean O
BMW nut and Happy Camper
Copperhill, Tn.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014