Yes, it's an available option

EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #3977
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I was thinking about this video again, and now watched it a few times - not for the sound, I don't care too much about the sound of a bike, but I can't see the bike rocking sideways at all. Not a single shudder on start or throttle.

As I don't have my R1200GS anymore, I can only go from memory, but I think whenever you started that bike, it did rock sideways, even when it was on the centerstand. It didn't move badly of course, but I'd think the camera would catch this.

More and more looking forward to test riding it when they arrive here.
Interesting...I was so focused on the sound I didn't think about vibration, but looking at it again, the mirror and the windshield appear to be rock solid! Very nice!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #3978
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
At the show I asked the BMW Rep from NJ about the battery capacity being less. He kindly educated me that the decrease in the 12 amps from 19 (I think from current model) should not be viewed as a problem. It is the alternator that is critical to supply power to the system when in use. .
but what about in relation to starting the motorcycle? 12a seems low, no? if there aren't enough cranking amps/voltage at startup it can affect the abs system.....interesting.
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #3979
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
but what about in relation to starting the motorcycle? 12a seems low, no? if there aren't enough cranking amps/voltage at startup it can affect the abs system.....interesting.
The Ah of a battery isn't the same as the cranking power. Apart from that the WC engine has auto decompressors which none of the oilheads ever had. This means that far less power is needed to crank the engine. With cranking power reduced a lot there shouldn't be any problem in a 2Ah reduction in the battery. Not so convinced at the smaller alternator mind you. Will be fine if you have the LED headlight but not so good if you don't and you have a load of accessories.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #3980
dixonk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Has anyone gone through the preorder on the new GS yet? I went to the dealer to preorder and I was asked for a deposit and a number in line for the bike when they get there. They didn't have info on arrival dates, colors, options, or anything. Basically he said I was number 8 on the list and when they started showing up they would call in order and if it wasn't the color or option you wanted it would go to the next guy on the list. I'm a bit put off on the whole buying process for this. Just curious if this is the norm or not.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #3981
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Interesting...I was so focused on the sound I didn't think about vibration, but looking at it again, the mirror and the windshield appear to be rock solid! Very nice!
Not quit rock solid yet. That is what I thought. Did you look up the Charlie link, it shows a bit of pull to the left, otherwise it's is much much better if I compare to my cruiser, which pulls a lot to the right.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #3982
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Not quit rock solid yet. That is what I thought. Did you look up the Charlie link, it shows a bit of pull to the left, otherwise it's is much much better if I compare to my cruiser, which pulls a lot to the right.
Ya, the BMW press materials talk about how the twisting motion has been reduced and it goes the other direction now I think...but that is different from the general vibrations that I was noticing which appear to be dramatically reduced at idle. I see the twisting in the Boorman video, but also notice how smoothly the bike is idling...no shaking of the windshield or mirror.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #3983
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
Has anyone gone through the preorder on the new GS yet? I went to the dealer to preorder and I was asked for a deposit and a number in line for the bike when they get there. They didn't have info on arrival dates, colors, options, or anything. Basically he said I was number 8 on the list and when they started showing up they would call in order and if it wasn't the color or option you wanted it would go to the next guy on the list. I'm a bit put off on the whole buying process for this. Just curious if this is the norm or not.
While some dealers may tell you differently to gain your order, I think this tends to be the typical process with BMW for new models. The first production runs are simplified and set with standard options and the dealer doesn't have much flexibility in what they can get for the first few allocations.

Some dealers are also hemmed in by customer expectations (or state law) that deposits are completely refundable. So, from the limited configurations available early in the process, the dealer will order what he thinks is the most sale-able in case he gets stuck with inventory on the floor. Since the customer has made no binding commitment, the dealer feels they shouldn't have to make much commitment to try and get exactly what the customer wants.

Wait a year and their tune usually changes. And while I think this new GS is going to be the cat's pajamas, this is a radical enough remake to have me on the sidelines for at least a year. Especially with a BMW.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #3984
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
While some dealers may tell you differently to gain your order, I think this tends to be the typical process with BMW for new models. The first production runs are simplified and set with standard options and the dealer doesn't have much flexibility in what they can get for the first few allocations.

Some dealers are also hemmed in by customer expectations (or state law) that deposits are completely refundable. So, from the limited configurations available early in the process, the dealer will order what he thinks is the most sale-able in case he gets stuck with inventory on the floor. Since the customer has made no binding commitment, the dealer feels they shouldn't have to make much commitment to try and get exactly what the customer wants.

Wait a year and their tune usually changes. And while I think this new GS is going to be the cat's pajamas, this is a radical enough remake to have me on the sidelines for at least a year. Especially with a BMW.

- Mark
Same process at my dealer and I agree with Mark's points as well, except for the part of waiting a year...I want mine now
Old 12-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #3985
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
Not much they can do other than take deposits at this point, no pricing information is known. All dealers should know colors as it was posted on the BMW website when the bike was first shown at Intermot. My dealer said late March or April for arrival dates, haven't heard anything to the contrary from information others have posted.

I would expect pricing for the bikes and for the options to be released at the dealer unveiling on Feb. 26th in Morocco. This is my first BMW but I was told that they don't usually release pricing until the last minute. My dealer also gave out numbers and told me the number of bikes they would probably be allocated (just a guess on his part). 1st in line gets dibs on any of the bikes, though I was told you have to take them how they come outfitted from the factory. If the person passes on the bikes, they go down the line to other customers. The person who passes on all of them becomes the 1st person from that dealer that gets to order a bike from Germany. I am sure pretty much all the dealers are doing it this way.
Bazgab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #3986
dixonk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I guess I'm relieved to hear this is how it works.....:/
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 AM   #3987
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
A local dealer said he might wait a year on this bike with all of the changes but he has 2 left over 2012's he wants to sell.
Has a nice black standard GS with ESA, heated grips,computer,wire wheels was in the 17 range after rebate. I ready to get a better street bike and may trade off the 2007 KTM Adventure. Get a 2012 or wait for the 2013????
Old 12-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #3988
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
Get a 2012 or wait for the 2013????
Difficult question for anybody but you to answer.

Money not a factor? No-one has ridden the 13, but the theoretical advantages have been canvassed thoroughly on this thread. A quick (and not exhaustive) summary:

- More power and torque.

- Engine design suggests smoother running.

- Wet multiplate clutch that should be more useful in slow going and will be much easier to replace.

- Electronic cruise control.

- Longer swingarm by 50mm.

- Redesigned final drive, with no spline to lube immediately behind hard-to-reach clutch.

- More sophisticated ABS and traction control.

- More room behind the cylinders for lower limbs/footing.

- LED running lamp and low beam (and optional high beam)

- Grippier tyre sizes for street carving.

- Revised weight distribution for same.

- Narrower waist around seat-tank junction.

- Better instrument panel.

For the 12:

- no water cooling circuit to worry about.

- no 'all-new' issues to worry about.

- $thousands less.

- Ready now.

Your call.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #3989
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
- Redesigned final drive, with no spline to lube immediately behind hard-to-reach clutch....
I missed references to this. Can you (or anyone) expand on this a little, please?
Smugmug Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #3990
velimlje
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Some new clips - sound ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBeCq_fLw1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLo4LlNgga8
velimlje is offline   Reply With Quote