Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #4486
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Yes, wasn't alluding to that as he is yet to post his review. Looking forward to it.

On the Ash tragedy, this link that EJ posted over at the Road Warriors tribute thread suggests the possibility of criminal charges. Bad to worse. If it's accurate, it likely explains the absence of comment.
Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think this could be the case....we know that there was another rider involved and injured and yet I've only read one account that mentioned that person's name and now that link seems to have disappeared. So it seems likely that there was a collision between two riders in some fashion. From what I've been able to piece together there was a group of four riders in this group with the lead rider being a BMW guide. Other groups of the 20 total of the event were both ahead and behind this group. Kevin and the other downed rider were riding 3rd and 4th position in this group supposedly. They had recently left a paved road and onto a straight, smooth gravel road with quite a bit of dust but were riding at 100kmh which was referred to as a safe speed for this road. It is possible that the only witness is the injured rider which of course could delay the reporting of the facts. I have no inside information on any of this and all of the above is from reports that have been posted here and elsewhere on the web as well as my speculation. Even though I didn't know Kevin, I visited his website often and just can't stop thinking about this. So tragic and let's hope it's not even more so with the possibility of another rider at fault.

EJ_92606 screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 04:08 PM
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #4487
Andrewmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
I have had the opposite feeling. Most of the online reviews so far have been overwhelmingly positive, probably too much so. I mean I want the bike to be fantastic, but I want the low-down on what things they didn't really like as well. For a person looking to get a new GS, most of the reviews so far saying it is like the old GS but better in every way is a pretty big endorsement IMO.

Oh, god. Say anything bad at all and it's picked to pieces like the bike is a piece of sh*t. Love the bike and say nothing bad, obviously they're not telling us something, so we cant trust any reviews. What is wrong with this place?

The Motorcycle Shop
907-561-1165
Andrewmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #4488
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
So tragic and let's hope it's not even more so with the possibility of another rider at fault.
Keeping it in mind that even if someone were charged, they would be presumed innocent.

The thread seems to be drifting off topic. Perhaps we can wait for official comment.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #4489
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Keeping it in mind that even if someone were charged, they would be presumed innocent.

The thread seems to be drifting off topic. Perhaps we can wait for official comment.
haha, aren't you the one that raised the issue of criminal charges? Yes, of course he would be presumed innocent, at least in the US legal system...no clue in South Africa.

edit: In the South African Constitution, section 35(3)(h) of the Bill of Rights states: "Every accused person has a right to a fair trial, which includes the right to be presumed innocent, to remain silent, and not to testify during the proceedings."

EJ_92606 screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 12:21 AM
Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #4490
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Culpable Homicide?
South Africa
Culpable Homicide has been defined simply[3] as "the unlawful negligent killing of a human being".
Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #4491
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
haha, aren't you the one that raised the issue of criminal charges? Yes, of course he would be presumed innocent, at least in the US legal system...no clue in South Africa.

edit: In the South African Constitution, section 35(3)(h) of the Bill of Rights states: "Every accused person has a right to a fair trial, which includes the right to be presumed innocent, to remain silent, and not to testify during the proceedings."
Sorry, quoted you not to take you to task but to make a general point. Apologies if it looked otherwise.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #4492
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Sorry, quoted you not to take you to task but to make a general point. Apologies if it looked otherwise.
No worries....can't stop thinking and wondering about this tragedy...
Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #4493
EJ_92606
Rider

Curious as to the location of the crash, I looked up what was described in this article: http://www.georgeherald.com/news.aspx?id=43916

I believe it is quite close to here:

http://goo.gl/maps/zKEAs

RIP Kevin Ash

updated location based on this info. http://www.oudtshoorncourant.com/new...ed-after-death

EJ_92606 screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 07:02 PM Reason: Updated location based on new info.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 AM   #4494
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
I'd say Ash case deserves its own thread.
Both because of its importance and not to spoil this thread.

BTW I doubt the investigation is over, but even then, it has been said that the family doesn't want the details release publicly at this time.

I also doubt BMW themselves don't want this clear. It's bad publicity ESPECIALLY with the (minute) possibility that the new bike is at fault.

As for the reviews published. With the exception of Costa's own maybe (very detailed with 2 days on the bike), most are really limited. Probably because the actual tests were cut in half by the disaster. I find most, if not all the reviews rather positive, but the shadow of Kevin's death is unavoidable (and understandable of course).

The only NEGATIVE thing that has been pointed (esp. by Costa), was the shake of the front fork in some successive bumps. I think the thinner front fork has a role on this.
I don't like that, I like everything else.

If Greece wasn't in crisis I would probably have arranged to trade mine already.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:36 AM   #4495
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post

It's bad publicity ESPECIALLY with the (minute) possibility that the new bike is at fault.

The only NEGATIVE thing that has been pointed (esp. by Costa), was the shake of the front fork in some successive bumps. I think the thinner front fork has a role on this.
I don't like that, I like everything else.

Given that the crash took place on a gravel road, that the investigation is continuing nearly a week after the accidents, and that BMW clammed up from the get-go suggests this may not be such a minute possibility.

Costa's quote:
Quote:
The only hiccup in the bikeís handling is a possible tendency to shake its head while standing on the footpegs over rough terrain. On a couple of occasions while standing, hitting a succession of sharp bumps causes the fork to shake just a bit. It isnít alarming; itís just that I donít remember the old bike having any tendency to do this. A couple of the U.S. journos also noted this.
On a dual purpose bike this is not a minor flaw imho, especially given that for many buyers gunning it down a gravel road will be the closest they come to adv riding.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #4496
NLS
My bike needs washing...

We'll have to wait and see.
I think they shouldn't thin the front forks.
That said, maybe some fine tuning on the front ESA solves this.

On another subject... Does anybody know
(a) What did they miss by canceling the remainder?
(b) Did they actually cancel or just postponed?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #4497
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B44CyeOJkjk

these two in French (?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upky_ccpOkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2lB0SRnBoo

(anybody knows what they say?)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #4498
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
South Africa
Culpable Homicide has been defined simply[3] as "the unlawful negligent killing of a human being".
I remember that when Ayrton Senna was killed at the F1 in Italy he was pronounced dead a few hours after the race and several folks commented that was convenient because if he had died during the race the authorities would have been obligated to stop the race and arrest the track managers as part of their investigations.

Despite some of the rhetoric in the USA about us being over regulated and attorneys running amuck, etc. the reality is that many nations take vehicular and other homicide more seriously than we do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #4499
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS
these two in French (?)
Ne / Yes / Oui

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS