Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #4501
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,093
Thanks I was curious what he said after that "incident". Note also that the stick-out thing (the new cover) doesn't seem to get touched.

Ah, also let me be the first to request a SCAN of the 1200GS article that comes out tomorrow with MCN.
(or any other article for that matter)
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #4502
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Thanks, that is a neat video - the new GS looks so accurate through those long, flowing turns.

For the first time, I have some feeling for what the new bike might be like.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #4503
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewmc View Post
Oh, god. Say anything bad at all and it's picked to pieces like the bike is a piece of sh*t. Love the bike and say nothing bad, obviously they're not telling us something, so we cant trust any reviews. What is wrong with this place?
Comments like this!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #4504
mtbenson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Thanks, that is a neat video - the new GS looks so accurate through those long, flowing turns.

For the first time, I have some feeling for what the new bike might be like.
I couldn't quit focusing on the lead guy crowding the center line and the guy with the camera running up where it would be way too easy for the lead guy to drift across and take out his front wheel.

mtbenson screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 12:37 PM
mtbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #4505
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewmc View Post
Oh, god. Say anything bad at all and it's picked to pieces like the bike is a piece of sh*t. Love the bike and say nothing bad, obviously they're not telling us something, so we cant trust any reviews. What is wrong with this place?
Don't know where that comment came from, wasn't saying anything negative. I think the bike looks fantastic but I was agreeing with Moronic's point that the first couple reviews were just a rehash of features found in any BMW literature. Just saying I want a very thorough review, not some fluff piece. It is not going to influence my decision either way, I am getting the bike at launch. I would just like to see people's opinions on the bike, like most here.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #4506
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,093
The first couple of short reviews were just to capture traffic.
More elarborate text was still under process probably.

I think in the next 10 days (esp. after MCN printed report) the other journalists will have more to say.
Most of them wait for their LOCAL hands-on though.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #4507
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazgab View Post
Don't know where that comment came from, wasn't saying anything negative. I think the bike looks fantastic but I was agreeing with Moronic's point that the first couple reviews were just a rehash of features found in any BMW literature. Just saying I want a very thorough review, not some fluff piece. It is not going to influence my decision either way, I am getting the bike at launch. I would just like to see people's opinions on the bike, like most here.
All I can think of right now is that the new GS must be more economical for BMW to manufacture, this must have been a major development deliverable.
To me a motorcycle is a bit about the soul and not having a separate Getrag gearbox hurts a bit and personally I've always liked the engine architecture with the big alternator in the front high up, and also that dry car clutch was special, that's now all gone, modern, that's the way it is. I'm sure that feeling will disappear though once I ride the new boxer...
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #4508
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
To me a motorcycle is a bit about the soul and not having a separate Getrag gearbox hurts a bit and personally I've always liked the engine architecture with the big alternator in the front high up, and also that dry car clutch was special, that's now all gone, modern, that's the way it is. I'm sure that feeling will disappear though once I ride the new boxer...
Wow, when I think of motorcycles having "soul", I don't tend to think of things like gearbox location, clutch type, and alternator type/location, but whatever floats your boat.

To my mind, all the changes in these areas are positives that don't affect the "soul" or, for a different word, "character", of the bike one iota, but do make the bike more resistant to abuse, more serviceable, and more reliable. The only drawbacks I see are clutch debris in the engine oil (which doesn't seem to be a problem with 98% of bikes on the road) and somewhat reduced alternator output.

For me, the only reason I'm not on a GS now is previous sketchy experiences with the dry clutch with respect to oil control, and nagging worry about the spline issue. If these issues are solved with the new bike, it's on my list again.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #4509
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Wow, when I think of motorcycles having "soul", I don't tend to think of things like gearbox location, clutch type, and alternator type/location, but whatever floats your boat.

To my mind, all the changes in these areas are positives that don't affect the "soul" or, for a different word, "character", of the bike one iota, but do make the bike more resistant to abuse, more serviceable, and more reliable. The only drawbacks I see are clutch debris in the engine oil (which doesn't seem to be a problem with 98% of bikes on the road) and somewhat reduced alternator output.

For me, the only reason I'm not on a GS now is previous sketchy experiences with the dry clutch with respect to oil control, and nagging worry about the spline issue. If these issues are solved with the new bike, it's on my list again.

- Mark
Hey, I like my 2010 "Tractor" heritage Engine
I follow your logic, however:
Clutch? Cars have a dry clutch, nothing inherently wrong, works
Transmission in separate case? Nothing wrong with that either, keeps oil separated
Alternator separate: Nothing wrong with it, easy service
Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #4510
duitswes
NAM Biker in CA

Oddometer: 287
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Ah, also let me be the first to request a SCAN of the 1200GS article that comes out tomorrow with MCN.
(or any other article for that matter)
Better check with a moderator before posting a scan
duitswes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #4511
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Nothing inherently wrong with dry-clutch & separate gearbox.
As shown by millions of BMW cars, and tens of thousands of Moto Guzzis.

But their reliability depends on how well the design is executed.
And the more adventuresome your riding, the more important that reliability is.

Nothing inherently wrong with piston engines in planes.
But turbo-prop is less likely to "let you down" in a nasty way.

The new Wasserboxer design bodes well for reliability, provided you change oil frequently and keep a close eye on the coolant system.
Here's keeping the fingers crossed about the "execution" of it all.
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #4512
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnullarbor View Post
Nothing inherently wrong with dry-clutch & separate gearbox.
As shown by millions of BMW cars, and tens of thousands of Moto Guzzis.

But their reliability depends on how well the design is executed.
And the more adventuresome your riding, the more important that reliability is.

Nothing inherently wrong with piston engines in planes.
But turbo-prop is less likely to "let you down" in a nasty way.

The new Wasserboxer design bodes well for reliability, provided you change oil frequently and keep a close eye on the coolant system.
Here's keeping the fingers crossed about the "execution" of it all.
"Perfect is the Enemy of Good" is an aphorism or proverb meaning that insisting on perfection often results in no improvement at all.

I'll now wait a bit for the liquid cooled GSA and then I strike. I think I could handle a bit more power thought, 150hp would suffice
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #4513
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Compared to what, the old one? Looks like any bike of the last 20 years
Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #4514
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,674
Please keep this thread about the GS. Use the Kevin Ash thread in Road Warriors for more on his tragic passing. The last post was removed.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #4515
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Has anyone else noticed the use of those mirrors is like everywhere? My 2007 Tuono had them, there are a couple other current Aprilia's right now with them...I think several other BMW enduro's...and well, that's all I can think of right now. I guess "everywhere" might be a slight exaggeration.

I am anxious for a demo ride. Very happy with my '12 GSA, but just love the excitement of a new model.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote