Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #4531
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by velimlje View Post
and 2 for the price of one at that ?

wait til 1:19 ....
Hmm, that must be the cameraman's bike, since it is a solo tour.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #4532
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
Touratech farkles

This maybe pre-mature, but is anyone who has a deposit down on the bike ordering crash bars?
http://shop.touratech.com/stainless-steel-crash-bar-bmw-r1200gs-from-2013.html
I'm thinking about going ahead and ordering them now so I can immediately install them when i get the bike. Any of you inmates already ordered any Touratech farkles?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #4533
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
This maybe pre-mature, but is anyone who has a deposit down on the bike ordering crash bars?
I'm thinking about going ahead and ordering them now so I can immediately install them when i get the bike. Any of you inmates already ordered any Touratech farkles?
Well if you plan to get the bike why wait?
Crash bars are like screen protectors for smart-phones. :) You might regret not getting one even on day one. :P
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #4534
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Thumb Red danger

That red mud is soooo slippery, just running around in flipflops can be a nigthmare...........
Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #4535
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,940
Quote:
My experience with Touratech is that ordering now might see the bars in your hands about the time the bike is released.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #4536
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Here is the complete playlist of the first guy that went to Laos:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...xsBt6FDTlF902b

(including the video a few posts about)

I found more or less in the French BMW Motorrad channel and a couple in BMW Motorrad (central) channel but the guy above has all the videos you need (the others are just copies) plus a big (low res unfortunately) 23min video of the whole experience.

Wonder if he he gets the bike after that (I mean them give him...).

Now we are waiting for the second guy. ;)
Old 01-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #4537
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
I've already ordered the bars from BMW, along with a load of other "must haves" Then went on to the Touratech site and blew another $800
Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #4538
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Wonder if he he gets the bike after that (I mean them give him...).
If he has the cash I would guess they sell at a discounted rate......

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #4539
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Does Touratech have their wasserboxer parts on their site yet?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #4540
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,280
Quote:
There's one thing that shadows the whole new thing though. At least two journalists reported bad reaction to certain repetitive path obstacles. That can even be dangerous they hinted (and not said directly). Add to that what happened to Kevin... which we don't know yet any details. It makes people (or at least me) think... I dunno.

I'm with you NLS, I read the reports just as you and even before I saw your post, I too had my concerns. Especially since I plan to purchase a Wethead in the future. However, it's all speculation at this point. I guess we'll all just play the wait and see game now
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #4541
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
New LC video...?

Its listing is in Japanese, so I thought maybe folks here have not seen it. About 27 minutes of the LC driving around S. Africa. Intermittently, and at the end, it shows good views of the bike and the controls in use.

Now, I'll try to imbed the video ;>

DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 AM   #4542
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
I'm with you NLS, I read the reports just as you and even before I saw your post, I too had my concerns. Especially since I plan to purchase a Wethead in the future. However, it's all speculation at this point. I guess we'll all just play the wait and see game now
My hope is that the whole thing is an software thing.
(some re-programming of ESA needed)
If it's a hardware thing it depends on the severity. If it becomes major (and gains public exposure), then it will mean a recall. Else it will mean a "wait for version 1.1 hardware" (usually around 12 months after release by BMW standards... and no they don't say anything they just update things).
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 AM   #4543
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
Quote:
My hope is that the whole thing is an software thing.
(some re-programming of ESA needed)
If it's a hardware thing it depends on the severity. If it becomes major (and gains public exposure), then it will mean a recall. Else it will mean a "wait for version 1.1 hardware" (usually around 12 months after release by BMW standards... and no they don't say anything they just update things).
You two are just speculating. The report hasn't even been released yet, and you're jumping to your own conclusions. From what has been reported to the media so far, a rider had an accident (which we have NO details about), and another rider hit him when he was on the floor, killing him instantly. Until we know the cause of the original accident, what's the point in trying to second guess that the bike was at fault? A lot of the press on the launch of the new bike in South Africa had little or no offroad experience. What does that tell you?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:41 AM   #4544
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
You two are just speculating. The report hasn't even been released yet, and you're jumping to your own conclusions. From what has been reported to the media so far, a rider had an accident (which we have NO details about), and another rider hit him when he was on the floor, killing him instantly. Until we know the cause of the original accident, what's the point in trying to second guess that the bike was at fault? A lot of the press on the launch of the new bike in South Africa had little or no offroad experience. What does that tell you?
Of course I am speculating.
I wish I am wrong too. That said, RIGHT NOW (with what we have) the "shadow" I talk about is there and seems it is not only in my mind, but others too.
Note that I am not of the kind of consumers that fight for their current choice "to the death", trying to destroy the positives of anything else out there (including the update to the model they own).
We've seen this extensively back in the time where 1200GS was first presented by 1150GS owners (and they saw it from 1100GS owners...). Well I am not like that. I wish the new model is ALL great and I wish I will be able to purchase it at some point (or the next model... or the next life).

As for the experience of the press, sorry, I don't think I agree. Most of them are actually VERY experienced and some are very experienced on this very model, the GS. One of them actually mentions the difference in the stability of the front COMPARED to the previous model.

Anyway, so yes I am speculating, but you in turn don't be so ready to ignore anything possibly negative.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #4545
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Of course I am speculating.
I wish I am wrong too. That said, RIGHT NOW (with what we have) the "shadow" I talk about is there and seems not only in my mind but others too.

As for the experience of the press, sorry, I don't think so. Most of them are actually VERY experienced and some are very experienced on this very model, the GS. One of the actually mentions the difference in the stability of the front COMPARED to the previous model.

So, yes I am speculating, but you in turn don't be so ready to ignore anything possibly negative.
I'm not ignoring anything negative at all, and have only read a small handful of reviews. One I read last night was in MCN, and editor clearly state that he doesn't do off road. It seemed odd, as I would have thought they'd have experienced off road journos only, but guess they need the input of a road biased journo as well.

I want BMW and the accident investigators to get their finger out and tell us what the hell happened now. I, like many others, have a lot of money at stake on this new bike, so want to know for our own peace of mind.