Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #4591
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Mark, is that a quote from Bike magazine UK? A special from their iPad edition? AFAIK they don't have an online presence and I'd not have thought they could have squeezed a review onto paper so quickly.
Yes and yes. It's Bike's relatively recent iPad edition in Apple's newstand. They mentioned at the beginning of the ezine that they managed to squeeze some new-GS coverage in that didn't make their dead-trees publishing deadlines.

As an aside, I have very mixed feelings about Bike's iPad app. It is very functional when it works, but after I initially subscribed and got the first issue, it wouldn't recognize my subscription for subsequent issues. Once I finally got through, Apple refunded my subscription money in full, then a few weeks later my subscription re-started and I've been able to download the last two issues. Well sorta.... it is so buggy, I seldom can read for more than a few minutes before the app crashes. If you decide to subscribe, be ready for a rough ride. Perhaps my "ancient" iPad 1 that won't upgrade past iOS 5.1 is to blame.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #4592
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,583
Um, EJ? Methinks you quoted the same passage (from the Canadian journo) as the other inmate. So, not that counting is important, but that still makes two reports so far.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #4593
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Um, EJ? Methinks you quoted the same passage (from the Canadian journo) as the other inmate. So, not that counting is important, but that still makes two reports so far.
Oops, you are completely correct...it's been a long day and I inserted the wrong quote...just fixed it. I had meant to include MarkJenn's quote from BIKE magazine.

EJ_92606 screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 09:50 PM
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #4594
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Oops, you are completely correct...it's been a long day and I'm glad it's only two! I'll edit that post since it doesn't make any sense.
Correction, I think it is three if you include the quote from BIKE magazine that MarkJenn posted previously, I had just pasted the incorrect quote...

Just to put some specificity to this discussion of possible handling issues with the new GS, here is the quote from the Bike magazine article:
"The only unpleasant shock during the while 280-mile ride is a tankslapper so violent it snaps the lockstops off the frame. BMW chassis engineers seemed shocked to hear of it, claiming they never experienced anything of the sort in five long years and one million kilometers of testing. It does seem that I just happen to have stumbled on exactly the wrong combination of speed and road surface at the wrong time. Assuming it really is just a one-off - which, in all fairness, would appear to be the most likely explanation - then the new R1200GS is a remarkable machine."
You guys can argue about whether worrying about something like this with the amount of data we have is prudent or chicken-little.

- Mark
Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #4595
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post

BMW chassis engineers seemed shocked to hear of it, claiming they never experienced anything of the sort in five long years and one million kilometers of testing..
Well I can't say I'm surprised. They have been shocked for years about final drive failures.

Anyway if it is a real problem it will be fixed....Eventually...Maybe..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #4596
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
"Motorrad" has its 2013 review "Wasser Marsch" or "bring on the water".
Oh, I don't even have to read it, the new GS is perfect in every German magazine :-)
...I was wrong, Motorrad couldn't test the GS in South Africa and therefore published an Italian review from "Motociclismo"...
Perfect but they've noticed off-road front end instability (handlebar shake) at 120-150Km/h (thinner fork tube/new stiffer frame) combination issue?

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 10:35 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #4597
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Perfect but they've noticed off-road front end instability (handlebar shake) at 120-150Km/h (thinner fork tube/new stiffer frame) combination issue?
Maybe. Stroms tended to do that a bit. Thinnish forks, stiff frame. Maybe a fork brace will help.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #4598
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,472
Motociclismo's online review

Motociclismo has a review online, starting here.

Its reviewer also says something about the way the bike behaves on corrugated off-road surfaces, with the dynamic damping. Here it is in Google Translate:

"Where the GS is in difficulty are small undulations in rapid succession , perhaps due to the reduced suspension travel and accomplice probably the stiffening of the frame at the front, the Telelever breaks down on bumpy at speeds between 120 and 150 km / h, and the front tire hard copy to the ground by returning some sbacchettata steering."

Somebody who can read Italian might offer us something more accurate from the original:

"L’unico frangente dove la GS va in difficoltà sono le piccole ondulazioni in rapidissima successione: forse a causa della ridotta escursione della sospensione e complice probabilmente l’irrigidimento del telaio nella zona anteriore, il Telelever va in crisi sullo sconnesso a velocità comprese tra 120 e 150 km/h, e la gomma anteriore fatica a copiare il terreno restituendo qualche sbacchettata di sterzo. Colpa della moto o di chi, come noi, si lancia su terra a velocità “dakariane”?"

The key term which Google has not translated is sbacchettata. A search on the term brings up a bunch of YouTube videos whose common thread seems to be ... hmm, some sort of shaking or oscillation, possibly of the steering.

Edit: sorry, missed some stuff above while typing. Starting to look like more than coincidence.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #4599
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
This kind of stuff just strengthens my everlasting thoughts that the Telelever is a bad idea in a bike like the GS.
I've tried some GSs over the years, and the fork is one of the reasons why I feel my S10 better offroad.

Unfortunatelly I belive the Telelever is one of those german things made to make the GS "different", AKA design arrogance
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #4600
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
This kind of stuff just strengthens my everlasting thoughts that the Telelever is a bad idea in a bike like the GS.
I've tried some GSs over the years, and the fork is one of the reasons why I feel my S10 better offroad.

Unfortunatelly I belive the Telelever is one of those german things made to make the GS "different", AKA design arrogance
Well it's an English thing that one manufacturer borrowed and stuck with. It has its pros and cons like everything else.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #4601
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post

What makes you think it's a telelever issue? The telelever has been around for ages in a good part of the BMW product line without any of the issues being reported about the new GS.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #4602
navpreet318
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Eh?

If you see some of the threads here, it has been reported that a fork brace on the regular GS aids the handling enormously! And thats with those thick stanchion tubes. And now BMW has gone ahead and made them thinner. Why do they have to resort to this kind of cost cutting? No doubt it will now need a fork brace even more. The telelever is actually a nice thing. Not about arrogance but I love the fact that I have full suspension travel even under braking under emergency situations.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #4603
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
sbachettata

"sbachettata" in italian means a strong shaking of the stearing, it normally accurs when accelerating, I'don't know if this is the case.
The jurnalist also says: Is it because of the bike or because of us riding on a dirt road at dakarian speed?
igorpetrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 AM   #4604
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
"sbachettata" in italian means a strong shaking of the stearing, it normally accurs when accelerating, I'don't know if this is the case.
The jurnalist also says: Is it because of the bike or because of us riding on a dirt road at dakarian speed?

Thank you for the translation, igorpetrovich, and welcome to the forum.

"dakarian" - I like that!

But we can answer his question for him, for we have the other reports above, among them one from Kevin Duke of motorcycle.com who recounts some fearful sbachettata arising at the apparently un-dakarian pace of 45mph (75kmh).

There is also the Bike UK reporter, who does not give the speed at which a tankslapper broke his steering stops but who hypothesises that he may "just happen to have stumbled on exactly the wrong combination of speed and road surface at the wrong time", and that the incident therefore was a one-off.

Add it up and we can say so far ...

To Bike, no, not a one-off incident.

To Motociclismo: no, not only at arguably inappropriate speeds.

To all three: yes, it is starting to look like a bit of a problem with the bike.

And to canadamotoguide.com, whose reporter experienced something similar but opined that "It isn’t alarming": well, it has been alarming for some.

Moronic screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 02:06 AM Reason: Added quote at top, for context
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #4605
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
So has nobody EVER had a tankslapper whilst riding the current 12GS off road? I seem to remember a post only last week of a guy riding across the desert on a GSA and wrecking the bike.

RichBMW screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 01:36 AM
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote