Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #4681
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
http://www.motociclismo.it/bmw-r-120...oad-moto-53973

Heck, Google translate does such a fantastic job, there is no need to correct anything

"OFF-ROAD
Inviting dirt that is lost on the horizon interspersed with a short course enduro very technical: the GS is certainly not the only one who really deserves to be called maxienduro instead of crossover . Especially now thanks to specialized riding mode Enduro pro . 's unique juncture where the GS is in difficulty are small undulations in rapid succession , perhaps due to the reduced suspension travel and accomplice probably the stiffening of the frame at the front, the Telelever breaks down on bumpy at speeds between 120 and 150 km / h, and the front tire hard copy to the ground by returning some sbacchettata steering . The fault of the motorcycle or those who, like us, you throw on the ground speed "dakariane"?

Nobody is perfect. Neither the pilot nor the bike for this 2013 has all it takes to beat the market again."
So what they are saying basically is that the bike is great especially if you take it easy on bumpy roads.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #4682
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
So what they are saying basically is that the bike is great especially if you take it easy on bumpy roads.
I wish I could legally ride 120 Km/h in Canada (they call that racing here), I mean on the road
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #4683
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I wish I could legally ride 120 Km/h in Canada (they call that racing here), I mean on the road
You might have something there.. It's a safety feature to stop people speeding..The guvment will love it.

Same here anyway, legally.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #4684
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Are you serious. Ontario has 100 km/hr speed limit on the highway. Then comes over speeding along with points and $ fine in increments of 10 km/hr.

90% people on the highway are doing 110 - 130 km/hr all the time. Never heard of "Racing" classification, but then, it's been a long time since I've read up on traffic violations of Ontario.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #4685
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,193
Hasn't 'Flug brought one of these home yet, strapped to the trailer?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #4686
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Cycle World review

A review here from Mark Hoyer of Cycle World.

No mention of headshake. Although he did offer that in Enduro mode, he got interference from the nanny pack unless he used the throttle or brake very smoothly.

Otherwise, he seemed to like it. Very much "same, but more" though. Observed that it did not do the Multistrada's "big supermoto" thing dynamically.

Back on the headshake thing, on the ratio of noticing to not-noticing among the journos: from what we have seen so far it is quite high.

We have two writers reporting independent major incidents: Bike's, and motorcycle.com's.

And we have a further two writers reporting independent but not alarming incidents: canadamotoguide's and motociclismo's.

So that's four, out of ... well, how many reports have we seen posted so far?

From memory, as well as these four, there have been Motorcyclist, MotorcycleUSA, Cycle World (above) and MCN.

I don't know what MCN had to say on the headshake thing, if anything. Motorrad ran the motociclismo piece.

So, four out of eight, or perhaps 10. Forty or 50 per cent.

BTW: motocislismo speculated that behind the headshake was a front-end that had been made too strong, not too weak. Weaker structures flex and absorb some of the energy; stronger ones put more of the energy into twisting the 'bars.

My own theory, for whatever it is worth, is that it is an issue arising from the way new dynamic damping reacts to the surface.

Moronic screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 05:13 AM
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #4687
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
i am #3 on my dealer's list, right behind EJ in fact......and as of this moment, i will most likely refrain from purchasing the new GS given recent developments (unless there is a resolve of sorts in the near future). i do think that there is a possibility of bias/group think/spillover effect, but the statistics are worrisome (3 out 20 riders reporting the same). could it have been the preload/damping setting on each of the bikes? i'm not sure as i'm not an off-road rider,0 but i do know that a poorly suspended bike could cause such head shakes even on a paved asphalt surface. is the new GS a poorly suspended motorcycle? i don't think so, the components are of high quality, they should not be the root of the cause. the tires, tire pressure? maybe, but you'd think that they might correct for such if so. as others have said, the bike is of new design, specifically the forks (geometry?), frame, chassis, and even wheel size, those make more sense to me as to being a potential culprit of the problem. having said that, how could the head shakes present themselves this late in the game?
I would do the same thing if I was to purchase one now. Its a wise decision oalvarez
Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #4688
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
German, Touratech Herbert Schwarz on the new GS in German.
One of the best reviews to me so far, pretty technical, he loves the ride.

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #4689
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Yes I hope they can translate it soon...

BTW I wouldn't expect Schwarz to say anything bad. He is affiliated to BMW (heck they have him one way before the official presentation) AND sells millions of sh*t for the model (and we all have something bought from him).
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #4690
tau
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Im not surprised to find out that all the criticism against the new GS, mainly comes from those owning another brand!

Do not try to convince us ST 1200 is a better option, as youre definitely wasting your time!
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #4691
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
I’m not surprised to find out that all the criticism against the new GS, mainly comes from those owning … another brand!

Do not try to convince us ST 1200 is a better option, as you’re definitely wasting your time!
I'd never do that. The new BMW has lots of things like Liquid cooling, and wet clutches. All those things that were around in the eighties. No way I would want try and move anyone away from that wiz bang stuff..

No you go and buy your new BMW. No arguments from me. Whats needed is some real world, real life feedback about how amazing it is.

Anyway isn't an ST1200 like a decade old now? Did Honda ever make one? I thought they jumped from 1100 to 1300.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #4692
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,361
Moronic, thanks for that link. I see the writer lists the redline at 9,000 RPMs. A bit more room to play in before a shift is required. I like it.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #4693
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Yes I hope they can translate it soon...

BTW I wouldn't expect Schwarz to say anything bad. He is affiliated to BMW (heck they have him one way before the official presentation) AND sells millions of sh*t for the model (and we all have something bought from him).
Here you go NLS :
Translated quick with the time so hopefully you can understand some of what he is saying.

0.14seconds : already drove a couple of 1000kms with this first serie model, in Madagascar.
0.27 sec. : its already my new favorite mc.
0.34sec : we got the bike a couple of months ago.
0.46sec : I have installed our famous cases, one small and one large one, as I tend to take as few as possible with me.
1.05sec : we made a sturzbugel as solid as possible.
1.18sec : the engine guard comes with hard plastic gliders which can easily be renewed/replaced.
1.38sec : we think its important to have these radiator guards
1.49sec : easy to remove grill for the led headlights
2.06sec : designed led fog lights to match the led headlights
2.51sec : rear brake leaver is adjustable in height and length.
3.05sec : foot pegs are solid and mud proof (quick mud release)
3.31sec : GPS holder, gsm holder.... Accessories are already available.
3.48sec : also USB plugs
4.00sec : new engine is really superb!!
4.29sec : enduro pro mode is superb
4.45sec : off road is much easier to ride now
4.55sec : the bike is heavier, but feels like 50kg lighter when riding
5.15sec : again, much more ps but never had the feeling that th engine is too powerful
5.44sec : consumption : 4-5 liter/100km on main roads, and off road around the 6liter / 100km
6.00sec : I have raised the steering bar because it suite better my height
6.12sec : this is by far the best touring bike ever.

So, there you have the promotional talk from touratech
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #4694
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,199
I don't see an issue that either can't or won't be clearly resolved.

San Jose's first one is mine.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #4695
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
Im not surprised to find out that all the criticism against the new GS, mainly comes from those owning another brand!

Do not try to convince us ST 1200 is a better option, as youre definitely wasting your time!
I am impartial mate, rest assured!