Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #4696
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
I don't see an issue that either can't or won't be clearly resolved.

San Jose's first one is mine.
Agreed Dean. I really like having a steering damper on my GSA as it really plants the bike in gusty winds and on sandy roads, so even without this head shake issue I would be looking to add one to my next bike. And if this head shake issue is real, I am confident a damper would almost surely mitigate it. If I had cash laying about, I would not be dissuaded from a preorder.

And just maybe, BMW will design in mounting bolt holes so that a damper will bolt right up. That would be the cats meow.

As much as I really loved your camhead GS, which is the best all around bike I have riden, I want to at least wait until the GSA shows up to decide between the two, and I might just be looking at a replacement for my 07 GSA.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #4697
Baluchon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
So what they are saying basically is that the bike is great especially if you take it easy on bumpy roads.
G'day !

I don't know how to translate words or impression of some journalists, but having done few thousands km on the new GS, I would say that she flies well and loves bumps. Give me couple more months and I will give you realistic feeling about her handling on real tough and enduring international bad roads. The ones we love most !.. :)

Baluchon screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 04:38 AM Reason: Love of bumps with new GS
Baluchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #4698
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
Thanks man. So all promo talk and a couple of (very) good words about the bike.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #4699
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baluchon View Post
G'day !

I don't know how to translate words or impression of some journalists, but having done few thousands km on the new GS, I would say that she flies well and loves bumps. Give me couple more months and I will give you realistic feeling about her handling on real tough and enduring international bad roads. The ones we love most !.. :)

OK you realize you need to give MORE info about... everything. (like who are you?)

(which is hinted by your photo source...)
http://www.t3.fr/
Old 02-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #4700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Thanks man. So all promo talk and a couple of (very) good words about the bike.
Yes, and fwiw, a good friend an race companion of me was at the journo days in SA as well. Asked him specific about any head shakes with the new gs, and he never felt any problems whatsoever. I need to mention that he is a really trackday enthusiast and no off road rider at all.
He rode the wheels off the new baby on the paved roads, and the bike performed flawless .
Mine will be delivered on the last week of march, and the first trip is planned on the second week of April. The trip will include the German autobahn (top speed ), and the Sauerland hills
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #4701
navpreet318
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You mentioned earlier that they have been installed on a current R1200GS. Can you maybe show me a picture. I'm slow, so I need photos I guess.

Jim

I don't have links to the pics right now. But this particular piece is what is installed and it is supposedly gives the GS much better handling. True that this piece is also used for the 21' wheel, but this billet CNC machined part is said to give more rigidity than the cast unit.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #4702
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,441
I'll have a go on one - but the new KTM makes me smile more just looking at it. Still can't see either taking the place of my MTS. 3rd gear inadvertent wheelies are good for the soul..
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #4703
navpreet318
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post

Think those are called "the forks"

Hahahahaha right?
Good. Get into any conversation any time and start with your . hahahahaha

Well we here are trying to have a conversation and Mr. JVB refused to acknowledge the stanchion tubes as forks hence I used that explanation.

Now can we ?

Good.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #4704
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
...Do you really believe that a bike that has done over a million test km's and been in development for 5 years would have a such an issue? I certainly don't.
I believe it to be entirely possible. And here's why: I believe that those miles were all ridden by professional BMW test riders. Coming from a software development background, I can tell you that it is quite possible to have a whole bunch of professional testers beating the hell out of some code as thoroughly as is humanly imaginable, finding problems and seeing them fixed and then re-testing, only to find that once the software gets out into the hands of users, that new and unexpected problems crop up. We scratch our heads and ask "how in the hell did they manage to make it do that?" etc., but it happens. If nothing else, perhaps the final drives benefited from the extensive testing.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #4705
Baluchon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
OK you realize you need to give MORE info about... everything. (like who are you?)

(which is hinted by your photo source...)
http://www.t3.fr/
Hi NLS.

More info ?.. Well, my name is Eric, from France. Or “Frog“ if you prefer.... I ride GS since 1988 and organise GS world tours for french GS riders since 2008 and we have made together a total of over 2.000.000 km since October 2008 across 5 continents and 18 countries. Mainly with 2 people per GS and with as much dirt road as we can, since we love it. We don't race and we don't look for trouble. So I'm probably not the best expert to tell you if GS is strong or not. I can only witness of what I feel and on what we break or not. I ride my 2008 R1200 GSA which has today 140.000 km or rallies on the clock.

With previous GS models we never broke any engine, gearbox, shaft or main organ during those rallies; Only breakdown we had is when us the rider got out of countrol by our own enthusiasm.

So regarding the new GS I am in charge of organising the One World One GS world tour with 2 new GS stock from factory and with no special preparation. Some spare parts in case, few spare tires and one back up 4x4, rented locally for our image prod team, . 5 tours to go in 5 continents with 5 different GS riders, inlcuding some with no offorad experience. They share sucessfully one of the 2 new GS and I ride the second one for the world tour.

I 'm not really interested about the motorbike itself in general but mainly about what I can do and where I can do with it.

That's why I say if you allow me couple months to finish our world tour (Laos is done, we starting second journey next week), I'll be able to witness on what went good or bad. So far so good.

Cheers

Baluchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #4706
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
Why does something have to be worse because it is smaller or thinner? The alloy could be a different composition allowing it to be stiffer but smaller. I doubt thinner forks would cause a tank slap anyway off road. You could feel it on a high speed road bend usually as a weave. Tank slappers are normally down to geometry or suspension, on occasion I have seen tyres do it on sensitive bikes.

Re: Smaller/thinner
I think unsprung weight comes into it as well, less weight = faster reaction = more prone to tank slap
Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #4707
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,087
Over at Scotts Performance the decision's already been made,
new sailcloth for the boat is assured for this season.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #4708
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
I'll have a go on one - but the new KTM makes me smile more just looking at it. Still can't see either taking the place of my MTS. 3rd gear inadvertent wheelies are good for the soul..
LOOKING the new KTM makes you smile?
Why? It is ugly.

That said, it is probably again the ONLY real competition to GS.

MTS is a siting-up street bike (whatever else Ducati wants to say to people). Much more limited than real dual (or multi)-purpose, but very good at what it does (not at what it advertises to do),

3rd gear wheelies are possible even with the current GS, not simple power-wheelies but still, easy to do.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #4709
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I believe it to be entirely possible. And here's why: I believe that those miles were all ridden by professional BMW test riders. Coming from a software development background, I can tell you that it is quite possible to have a whole bunch of professional testers beating the hell out of some code as thoroughly as is humanly imaginable, finding problems and seeing them fixed and then re-testing, only to find that once the software gets out into the hands of users, that new and unexpected problems crop up. We scratch our heads and ask "how in the hell did they manage to make it do that?" etc., but it happens. If nothing else, perhaps the final drives benefited from the extensive testing.
Very well put (and very true).

There is a reason much software has open betas. Also a reason why there are always V x.1, x.2 etc.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #4710
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I don't have links to the pics right now. But this particular piece is what is installed and it is supposedly gives the GS much better handling. True that this piece is also used for the 21' wheel, but this billet CNC machined part is said to give more rigidity than the cast unit.
You are talking about a replacement of the lower attachment point for the telelever, bothing like a fork brace, and certainly not on very many bikes. As far as I know there is very little difference in rigidity. It is designed for moving the fender up. The stock one has never been identified as a weak part.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote