Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #4771
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
I've looked at the turn signal mounting points when checking out the 2013, looks to me they are the same as on the 2012 so the nice small EU LED turn signal lights should fit just fine. That will be my first farkling job here in Canada, proper non-protruding turn signals :-)

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 10:08 AM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #4772
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baluchon View Post
Then you don't have sense of humour... That my way of being. Joking of everything. Pretending the 2 bikes fall off the truck...

But well, I think I loose my time here trying to share fun experience...

Cheers
I have enjoyed your posts and it is nice to have an insider working with the new bike to provide commentary about its strengths and any weakness it might have so please don't consider your time wasted due to a few folks here. I believe sometimes when we type comments the underlying intent is missed and people really meant no harm and were trying to be funny, but it comes across the wrong way. This can then spiral out of control on a forum since it becomes easy to be a tough guy when there is no fear of personal confrontation or discovery. This is especially true when you are newer and don't know the poster's personality yet. I've been on here a while but somewhat sparingly so I don't even know most of the folks tendencies or personalities. The forums are great resources but also lack the intimacy you get from face to face conversations yet without them we wouldn't have the opportunity to hear from folks like you on the other side if the planet so it's a trade off that can be worth it for me anyway. So in that regard please continue to update for those of us who are sincerely interested to hear from someone actually out there using the bike to its capabilities. Thanks and be safe out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.......MM

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #4773
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
SsNIP...Go figure!
Jim
I'm enamored - And as for me, I am more interested in the routine maintenance on this bike - it really has me excited! So what routine maintenance features are wrench'en retards likely capable of? The ADV Hall of Wisdom, Posts by the likes of John Jen, Poolside and others... and JVB videos have have mentored me through over ten years of GS'n. . So what's the prognosis for owner servicing this baby?
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #4774
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,247
Quote:
Snip... have sense of humour...SNIP

But well, I think I loose my time here trying to share fun experience... Cheers
Not so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Menace View Post
I have enjoyed your posts and it is nice to have an insider working with the new bike to provide commentary about its strengths and any weakness it might have so please don't consider your time wasted due to a few folks here.SNIP... Thanks and be safe out there.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.......MM
+ 1
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #4775
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
You were in Quebec city Yesterday ??? Cause it's me sitting on the bike ...

Paul Jr
Old 02-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #4776
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
You are obviously an expert.
Please clarify "sane major OEM"
And if possible, advise of any insane ones. I won't buy from them.
Thanks
You are correct, I am an expert.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #4777
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
as a counterpoint.....Ducati.....the maker of the 1199 Panigale which was first sold earlier in 2012. fast forward to today, they've reached out to the bike's owners alerting them of a potential hazard/danger attributed to heat output of the exhaust/heads, and that a fix is in place. not just a little bit of heat from what i've learned, but enough heat to cause possible/potential physical harm to the rider's skin. did the manufacturer not know of the heat issue prior to its release? could you imagine a salesperson telling a potential customer a year ago that the bike emitted such heat and that it would be unbearably hot to ride in certain ambient temps?

yes, tank slappers/head shakes can happen, to any bike, but it happening (one very violently) to three reviewers out of twenty on the same model bike gives cause for concern, specifically and justifiably more so to those about to spend $20k+ on a new one.

if the tank slapper concern isn't justified, then waiting to buy a new model year bike until the second year isn't either.
I may have misunderstood, but surely you aren't comparing the R&D of BMW to that of Ducati? The Panigale is a niche bike that sells in very small numbers compared to the GS, the GS has spent 5 years in development.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #4778
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I may have misunderstood, but surely you aren't comparing the R&D of BMW to that of Ducati? The Panigale is a niche bike that sells in very small numbers compared to the GS, the GS has spent 5 years in development.
you misunderstood. i asked a question related to Ducati releasing a bike with a flaw that was probably known from the start, the same type of question we're posing, wondering, contemplating in regards to the reported head shake of the new GS. you go on to compare the Panigale to the GS in regards to their each bike's sales, and subsequently point to the 5yrs that the new GS has been in development. don't forget, that's a R&D team from the same manufacturer who's still trying get out from the "final drive" cloud that has hung over its head for some time now.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #4779
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Then you don't have sense of humour... That my way of being. Joking of everything. Pretending the 2 bikes fall off the truck...

But well, I think I loose my time here trying to share fun experience...

Cheers
I couldn't understand/hear the part about falling off the truck. Glad to hear no issues and sorry that I misunderstood. So that was you talking? Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing some info. with us. I'd appreciate anything more that you can provide as we are starved for information. Yes, some of us that were previously very enthusiastic and on the wait list for the new GS have become a little bit cynical given our concerns over the 'head shake' issue reported by several journalists. I'll keep an open mind though. So did either of your bikes on this trip experience this issue at all?

EJ_92606 screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 12:37 PM
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #4780
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
You were in Quebec city Yesterday ??? Cause it's me sitting on the bike ...

Paul Jr
Not yesterday but could be the same bike travelling around from show to show, I'm twice your size
Old 02-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #4781
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
you misunderstood. i asked a question related to Ducati releasing a bike with a flaw that was probably known from the start, the same type of question we're posing, wondering, contemplating in regards to the reported head shake of the new GS. you go on to compare the Panigale to the GS in regards to their each bike's sales, and subsequently point to the 5yrs that the new GS has been in development. don't forget, that's a R&D team from the same manufacturer who's still trying get out from the "final drive" cloud that has hung over its head for some time now.
You are saying though that the Ducati had issues from launch, and comparing to the new GS saying that this may also have issues from launch. I am saying that I do not believe the "head shake" issue to be an issue at all, as the bike has been in development for 5 years, and the two or three incidents aren't of any concern as there are so many factors that could have caused it, and that any bike can have head shake or tankslappers in the wrong circumstances.

Re the final drive issue, this is old news, and has hardly affected the 12GS since the twin cam came out. I'm on my 4th GS, and am good friends with a BMW mechanic out of work; he has access to the statistics on recalls and FD issues and has said that FD issues on 2010 or new GS's are very rare
Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #4782
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2lB0SRnBoo

Not sure what happened at 3:24
Old 02-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #4783
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
Can the head shakers please start a new thread!!
Why.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #4784
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
I don't see an issue that either can't or won't be clearly resolved.

San Jose's first one is mine.
No8 in Brussels is mine.

But no worries here. If problems arise with the front fork it won't happen with me. I won't drive it anywhere near its limits. Relax and take it easy... And in case of other problems it is for my dealer.
Worst case scenario I do have my 4 year warranty.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #4785
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
No8 in Brussels is mine.

But no worries here. If problems arise with the front fork it won't happen with me. I won't drive it anywhere near its limits. Relax and take it easy... And in case of other problems it is for my dealer.
Worst case scenario I do have my 4 year warranty.
What 4 year warranty?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote