User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #4786
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,874
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wkjsidvff...2013.themepack

In case someone wants this, I made a nice theme pack (for Win7/8) with 64 photos taken from various sources, all resized properly to 1920x1080 (and by properly I mean manual not batch work... choosing the proper cropping or even adding background when needed, for each one!). Most come from BMW own press material, so they were high resolution downsized, instead of lower resolution oversized.

Have fun.
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #4787
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post

Yes, and fwiw, a good friend an race companion of me was at the journo days in SA as well. Asked him specific about any head shakes with the new gs, and he never felt any problems whatsoever. I need to mention that he is a really trackday enthusiast and no off road rider at all.
He rode the wheels off the new baby on the paved roads, and the bike performed flawless .
Mine will be delivered on the last week of march, and the first trip is planned on the second week of April. The trip will include the German autobahn (top speed ), and the Sauerland hills
We should hold an early belgian owners meet. Mine arrives on march 15th. Germany is only planned for May. Top speed isn't really important here.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #4788
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2lB0SRnBoo

Not sure what happened at 3:24
Camera falls off.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #4789
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2lB0SRnBoo

Not sure what happened at 3:24
Camera fell off
Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #4790
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
No8 in Brussels is mine.

But no worries here. If problems arise with the front fork it won't happen with me. I won't drive it anywhere near its limits. Relax and take it easy... And in case of other problems it is for my dealer.
Worst case scenario I do have my 4 year warranty.
45 mph down an open dirt road is not 'near its limits'.

Prepare for this from your dealer, 'could not replicate'.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #4791
velimlje
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
What 4 year warranty?
Yes , if you would read more than only about head shakes

, you would know that some countries have longer warranty , and higher price
velimlje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #4792
NLS
My bike needs washing...

So anybody read MCN magazine yet?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #4793
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
We should hold an early belgian owners meet. Mine arrives on march 15th. Germany is only planned for May. Top speed isn't really important here.
Haha, ok.
Top speed is no issue as well, but having spent the last 8 years on racetracks only...well it's just.. Old habits never die i guess
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #4794
Baluchon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Some answers...

I have enjoyed your posts and it is nice to have an insider working with the new bike to provide commentary about its strengths and any weakness it might have so please don't consider your time wasted due to a few folks here. I believe sometimes when we type comments the underlying intent is missed and people really meant no harm and were trying to be funny, but it comes across the wrong way. This can then spiral out of control on a forum since it becomes easy to be a tough guy when there is no fear of personal confrontation or discovery. This is especially true when you are newer and don't know the poster's personality yet. I've been on here a while but somewhat sparingly so I don't even know most of the folks tendencies or personalities. The forums are great resources but also lack the intimacy you get from face to face conversations yet without them we wouldn't have the opportunity to hear from folks like you on the other side if the planet so it's a trade off that can be worth it for me anyway. So in that regard please continue to update for those of us who are sincerely interested to hear from someone actually out there using the bike to its capabilities. Thanks and be safe out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.......MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baluchon View Post
Hi NLS.

More info ?.. Well, my name is Eric, from France. Or “Frog“ if you prefer.... I ride GS since 1988 and organise GS world tours for french GS riders since 2008 and we have made together a total of over 2.000.000 km since October 2008 across 5 continents and 18 countries. Mainly with 2 people per GS and with as much dirt road as we can, since we love it. We don't race and we don't look for trouble. So I'm probably not the best expert to tell you if GS is strong or not. I can only witness of what I feel and on what we break or not. I ride my 2008 R1200 GSA which has today 140.000 km of rallies on the clock.

With previous GS models we never broke any engine, gearbox, shaft or main organ during those rallies; Only breakdown we had is when us the riders got out of countrol by our own enthusiasm.

So regarding the new GS I am in charge of organising the One World One GS world tour with 2 new GS stock from factory and with no special preparation. Some spare parts in case, few spare tires and one back up 4x4, rented locally for our image prod team, . 5 tours to go in 5 continents with 5 different GS riders, inlcuding some with no offorad experience. They share sucessfully one of the 2 new GS and I ride the second one for the world tour.

I 'm not really interested about the motorbike itself in general but mainly about what I can do and where I can go with it.

That's why I say if you allow me couple months to finish our world tour (Laos is done, we starting second journey next week), I'll be able to witness on what went good or bad. So far so good.

Cheers

Baluchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #4795
7mary4
Ponch

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Main problem with that bike is the awfull amount of electronics ready to break ... Particularly with the electronic suspension which is incredeably expensive to repair. $3000 and more ...

Already, dealers can't repair it ..

Paul Jr
Do you remember how many shocks broke in the Long Way Down?
2009 BMW R1200RT "Hans Eric" 7M4
http://www.mymotorrad.com
7mary4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #4796
NLS
My bike needs washing...

One more variable for the tank-slapping issue (if there is such a thing).

The new bikes use also new tires. And I mean new models non-existent before (new different tread shapes).
AFAIK... Michelin Anakee III, Metzeler Tourance Next and Metzeler Karoo 3 (for the off-road setup).
It might be possible that the tires in the launch were "pre-release" or even if they are "release", they might have issues that will only be seen in mass use.

---

Talking about tires for the new model, I've seen no reaction by Dunlop, Bridgestone, Conti or Pirelli yet. Too early of course.
- Dunlop hasn't done any update, like they are not even aware.
- Same with Bridgestone, but "better" than Dunlop because unlike Dunlop, B doesn't allow you to choose a BMW R1200GS 2013 (which in D case still shows the old dimensions and proposed models ...yuk).
- Continental somewhere in between... No idea about the new model, still they have a vague distinction between three (actually SAME) models.
- Pirelli must be doing something, as they allow for BMW R1200GS 2013, they call it R12W instead of R12, but shows no results. Seem to be cooking something though.

Personally I want to see what those Michelin Anakee Wild will be like...

As it looks now, we have the following moving from on-road to off-road:
Metzeler Tourance Next (very little off-road), Michelin Anakee 3 (little off-road), Michelin Anakee Wild (? Waiting to see...), Metzeler Karoo 3 (more off-road, yet looks less than Karoo and even Karoo T).
Pretty complete line for a bike not released yet - depending on what Wild will be too. Only thing missing are Conti TKC-80 for full off-road with the new dimensions.

(LATE EDIT: about Tourance Next, Continental and kind-of comparison)

NLS screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 01:24 AM Reason: Tourance Next
Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #4797
7mary4
Ponch

Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post
Modern cars have an "awfull amount of electronics" compared to the past and yet they have become much more reliable and maintenance free so I don't know why the electronics are being seen as "ready to break". I still play around with old bikes and can't see them as having the edge with reliability.
Fuel strip, fuel controller...
Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #4798
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mary4 View Post
Do you remember how many shocks broke in the Long Way Down?
Wasn't that the Oehlins replacement they put in? I only vaguely remember that part.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #4799
7mary4
Ponch

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
some would see ESA as a benefit, many owners out there love it. then you have the improved computers within the dashboards (one could argue that the fuel gauge isn't all that wonderful), LED lights, tire pressure monitors.....i'd call those benefits in my book.
until the ESA shocks die out of warranty.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #4800
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baluchon View Post
Eric nice to meet you.
UBER cool that you are the guy organising the "One GS" thing AND going with them in ALL five tours!
I did apply but probably didn't fit the profile they wanted. Damn...

Anyway, you say "so far so good" so I take it nothing wrong happened that may indicate a serious issue (not sure if you would be in liberty to say anyway).
I hope you will post some more detailed report after all this ends. I have seen all the "Laos" video reports already of course.

I did notice that there are just 2 GSs (both riden), extra tires and minor parts. Good to know this was not just what was displayed on camera but also the truth.

BTW... I badly need the R12GS 2013 photos you posted but in high resolution. :P