Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #4801
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mary4 View Post
until the ESA shocks die out of warranty.
ESA is just a name.
ESA "1" indeed has issues I read (btw, my 2007 GS doesn't have ESA, was a fresh option and I didn't like it back then).
The new ESA just shares the name AFAIK.

We'll see what this means in the next few months. Let's not presume anything.
BTW if you don't like electronics, R12GS might not be the way to go anyway - any year, not just 2013. Some people are scared of ABS failing, of CANBUS or even of injection. Once, someone asked me if GS also has a kickstarter as backup!
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #4802
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,429
Amazing how many newly registered no0bs have posted only on this thread, overwhelmingly to toss out fear bombs and misinformation!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #4803
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
BTW if you don't like electronics, R12GS might not be the way to go anyway
I'm still waiting for someone to point out actually electronics failures. Most things that actually get you stranded are "hard" parts failing. Be that final drives, broken rear frames, broken rims, failed fuel pumps, and the like.

Wasn't the biggest "electronics failure" the GS had the ring antenna from the theft protection system? And wasn't that a fairly small part you could easily take with you on long trips?

I really don't know, so tell me about these electronics failures some guys are so scared about. I haven't seen one during the last 24 years of driving cars and motorcycles. It was always actual hardware that stopped me. And that hasn't happened in the last 15 years anymore ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #4804
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
What 4 year warranty?
Gift from the dealer. It is a temporary action here.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #4805
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by velimlje View Post
Yes , if you would read more than only about head shakes

, you would know that some countries have longer warranty , and higher price
We don't get the longer warranty. Just 2 years. But you can buy 2 more years of warranty, or get it thrown in by the dealer.
But we do get the high prices. All in I pay (converted to dollars) around 25k. But luckily it is a tax deductible.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #4806
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Amazing how many newly registered no0bs have posted only on this thread, overwhelmingly to toss out fear bombs and misinformation!

Jim
I was thinking just the opposite Jim...several with low post counts poo pooing the concerns over headshake.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #4807
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I was thinking just the opposite Jim...several with low post counts poo pooing the concerns over headshake.

I guess I notice the negative posts more than the positive.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #4808
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mary4 View Post
Do you remember how many shocks broke in the Long Way Down?
They used ohlins on long way down so BMW can't be blamed for the several shocks that popped on that trip.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #4809
Baluchon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Eric nice to meet you.
UBER cool that you are the guy organising the "One GS" thing AND going with them in ALL five tours!
I did apply but probably didn't fit the profile they wanted. Damn...

Anyway, you say "so far so good" so I take it nothing wrong happened that may indicate a serious issue (not sure if you would be in liberty to say anyway).
I hope you will post some more detailed report after all this ends. I have seen all the "Laos" video reports already of course.

I did notice that there are just 2 GSs (both riden), extra tires and minor parts. Good to know this was not just what was displayed on camera but also the truth.

BTW... I badly need the R12GS 2013 photos you posted but in high resolution. :P

Hi NLS,

Yes I'm a free man. always been and always will. T3 is my small agency tool to organise big journeys. So we organise our adventure tours and we just care about quality places and people we meet during our journeys. Bikes and cars are just a way of travel. With no competition nor world record objectives. But the point is to always choose a legendary vehicle to facilitate positive contact with local people. That's why I have travelled the world since 1985 with vintage Citroen cars, steam car, Honda XR400, Mini, Defender, and of course GS. We believe that the best way to understand and appreciate a country, is to meet the people who live there. This legendary vehicle is our “key for contacts“.

Regarding the ONE WORLD ONE GS tour, during preparation of this project mid 2012 I did the special request to Munich for having no back up truck whatsoever and no spare GS. In order to be in same configuration as couple normal GS riders going for a world tour. We have 2 new R 1200 GS stock from factory for th whole world tour, and we hire a local 4x4 in each destination tour. In this Dual cabin 4x4 pick up (Hi LUx or equivalent) we have our 3 members of the image production team, plus their equipment, plus 1 set of new tires, a cardbox of spare parts in case and a small tool box. That was the deal at the beginning and I am very proud to work with a company such as BMW who had the guts to accept the risk. If you meet one day the blokes working on the GS line at BMW Motorrad headquarters, you'll understand very quick how passionate these guys are about morotbikes and offroad travel !... SO in this challenge, we just try to put together nice very special journeys to help our 5 winners to have the Ride of their Life, following 3 main rules : safety, pleasure and sharing.

I m not the best person to judge if a bike is good or not, as I don't have enough experience in testing other bikes than GS. So I probably won't be knowledgable enough. In the blog we produce for GS travel lovers, we just try to share a traveling passion and to demonstrate that to reach and enjoy some of the world best spots and encounters, the GS is quite a good horse to ride.

The technical experienced journalists and professional off road riders will be better than me to give you the precise scrutinized report on this new bike. I just share stories and images with who ever enjoy it. So if it can help, I'll be happy to share some insiders' pics and stories with you here about the very first world tour of the new R1200GS.

We will be in West USA in first half of March, and we hope to be able to meet plenty of trails and GS community riders so we can share our passion on some nice US dirt roads..
Baluchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #4810
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to point out actually electronics failures. Most things that actually get you stranded are "hard" parts failing. Be that final drives, broken rear frames, broken rims, failed fuel pumps, and the like.

Wasn't the biggest "electronics failure" the GS had the ring antenna from the theft protection system? And wasn't that a fairly small part you could easily take with you on long trips?

I really don't know, so tell me about these electronics failures some guys are so scared about. I haven't seen one during the last 24 years of driving cars and motorcycles. It was always actual hardware that stopped me. And that hasn't happened in the last 15 years anymore ...
Well I wouldn't know.
My R1200GS never left me stranded. Well once did, but was in my garage from battery (which I classify as "disposable" on a vehicle). Ah and once on an off-road session where my front suspension spit all its oil. Didn't strand me though, I actually used the bike as normal for a week until the warranty replacement came (bless telelever).

I am not afraid of technology. Being an IT guy, I think it would be like a parachutist afraid of heights (erm... wait... I actually did that like that).
Old 02-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #4811
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

I don't know about the fuel pump but the fuel pump controller (electronic part) was a common failure and was a recall. Other than that and the ring antena I think the other failures haven't been common or even show stoppers.
As for car electronics its mostly sensors I see that have broken. They do usually end up with a tow truck mind you.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #4812
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baluchon View Post
Thanks again for the long reply. I think we all enjoy your posts.
I like how you keep repeating that vehicles are... vehicles in the real sense of the word (because some of us forget).

I doubt you'll find me in US, as I am in Greece. Next time you come though... let me know.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #4813
7mary4
Ponch

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
ESA is just a name.
ESA "1" indeed has issues I read (btw, my 2007 GS doesn't have ESA, was a fresh option and I didn't like it back then).
The new ESA just shares the name AFAIK.

We'll see what this means in the next few months. Let's not presume anything.
BTW if you don't like electronics, R12GS might not be the way to go anyway - any year, not just 2013. Some people are scared of ABS failing, of CANBUS or even of injection. Once, someone asked me if GS also has a kickstarter as backup!
I ride a 2009RT. I am not afraid of technology, just poorly designed or manufactured technology. I think ABS is great, but the controllers should last the life of the bike. ESA shocks should hold up better too, considering they cost over $3000 to replace. And then there are issues like fuel strips, fuel pump controllers, final drives, windscreen struts to name a few that should have better reliability. As far as the new GS goes, I hope the water pump does better than it did on the K1600.
2009 BMW R1200RT "Hans Eric" 7M4
http://www.mymotorrad.com
7mary4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #4814
7mary4
Ponch

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
They used ohlins on long way down so BMW can't be blamed for the several shocks that popped on that trip.
I didn't know that. At least they didn't break the frames.
2009 BMW R1200RT "Hans Eric" 7M4
http://www.mymotorrad.com
7mary4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #4815
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I am saying that I do not believe the "head shake" issue to be an issue at all, as the bike has been in development for 5 years,
yes, we all get that. there are no problems and will never be any problems with the new 5yr under development GS. got it.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote