Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #4861
I GS 1
I 90S I

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
So what bike do you have and for how long you have it?
Wait just saw in your profile...
Thing is, your bike (and mine) doesn't do that.
Go on, try it.
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of what possible "head shake" actually is. It is simply not the case that some bikes "do it" and other bikes "never would". It is more to do with chance and where and how they are ridden influencing this "chance", rather than an inate characteristic of the bike. All bikes have to be a compromise catering for the most likely conditions they will be ridden in. I have experienced "head shake" on a bicycle on a tar seal road. Given that bicycle "head shake" is so rare, no manufacturer would consider fitting a steering damper to a lightweight road bike. On the other hand, a high percentage of DR650's are fitted with them as aftermarket accessories given the more likely conditions they come to be ridden in which increase the chance of it occuring (the extra weight and cost making it worthwhile). If BMW thought that it would not be a rare occurance given the likely conditions the new GS (or the old ones) would be ridden in, they would fit one as standard just as they do on the S1000RR.

What we haven't been hearing much about is what the rider does or doesn't do after the "head begins to shake". To break the steering stops off the frame, I doubt the journalist in question was doing the kinds of things that can get you through these adrenalin geneating moments. More likely he got involved in some of the definite don’ts.
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #4862
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,772
Denial: Source Wikipedia....it's not only a river in Egypt as they say

simple denial: deny the reality of the unpleasant fact altogether
minimisation: admit the fact but deny its seriousness (a combination of denial and rationalization)
projection: admit both the fact and seriousness but deny responsibility by blaming somebody or something else.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #4863
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,575
I am sure someone(s) are working on a damper and the mount as we speak. Then it will be a non issue.

Not a show stopper folks.

A damper is often a huge advantage off road to ruts and rocks do not lead to disaster.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #4864
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,226
I was one of the concerned head shake posters after some of the bike intro ride reports. However, I feel we should bury this issue for a while until more reports come in. Especially, some testing where they got the actual bike in their hands for many days, not just the couple of days at the intro.

I'd like to hear from people ready to purchase what option packages you are going with. I plan to buy this bike myself, and it's easy to just say, "load the thing up", but maybe that's not the best way to go? Pretty sure I won't get the dynamic suspension. Even if it works great, it takes out some of the setup fun for me. I enjoy getting high end fully adjustable shocks and tweaking them.

Not so sure about the led headlight either. Looks cool, but it's got a fan running in the housing to keep things cool. What happens if/when the fan fails?

Don't think I need the multi-wheel. I don't run a gps now, or music that I need to scroll through menu options, and I sure as hell aint going to bluetooth a phone into my helmet. Riding is my time to get away from all that.

Gotta haves?

Cruise control. Bike is already ride by wire, it's just software for the CC. Might as well get it

TPM, I've had this on my 2007 and I'm sold. Been great over the years and many flats.

I'd love the have the Computer with Pro option, but I have a feeling BMW is going to bundle with packages so that in order to get one thing, we'll have to get somethings we don't want.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #4865
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
I'd like to hear from people ready to purchase what option packages you are going with. I plan to buy this bike myself, and it's easy to just say, "load the thing up", but maybe that's not the best way to go?

I'd love the have the Computer with Pro option, but I have a feeling BMW is going to bundle with packages so that in order to get one thing, we'll have to get somethings we don't want.
According to the literature I picked up at the Cleveland show, the only options I want are heated grips, bag mounts, hand guards and LED headlite but BMW NA will probably group things I don't want to get these options. The spoke/ cast wheels aren't shown on base or available options, but all the pics have cast wheels. Although the new spoke wheels are really awesome, I'm not paying $600 extra for them!

The new bike is really cool. Reminds me of back in 04 waiting for the new 1200 after riding the 1150 pig
05-GS- Rock Red 90k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #4866
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by I GS 1 View Post

What we haven't been hearing much about is what the rider does or doesn't do after the "head begins to shake". To break the steering stops off the frame, I doubt the journalist in question was doing the kinds of things that can get you through these adrenalin geneating moments. More likely he got involved in some of the definite don’ts.
that is a good and fair question to ask. for the steering stops to have broken off, i'm surprised that rider wasn't seriously hurt. when that kind of violent reaction happens, the end result (especially with a less experienced rider) usually isn't a good one. seriously, to hold on to the bars (especially wide ones) with that kind of head shake is not an easy thing to do, to be light on the bars isn't the first thing that would come to people's minds either. then again, he was only doing 45mph. i'd like to know what the rider did or the bike did right before it happened.....was he initiating a turn, pushing on one side of the bar (throttle), holding onto the bars too tightly, etc....having said that, two other riders of the twenty had similar reactions although less so......so as you suggest, what was each of these riders doing/not doing, or how what was the bike's situation at the time? was it a random occurrence for each, each doing something to initiate a tank slapper as opposed to some flaw in the bike's suspension, tires, etc? i suppose we'll never really know.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #4867
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaftEd View Post
I'd like to hear from people ready to purchase what option packages you are going with. I plan to buy this bike myself, and it's easy to just say, "load the thing up", but maybe that's not the best way to go? Pretty sure I won't get the dynamic suspension. Even if it works great, it takes out some of the setup fun for me. I enjoy getting high end fully adjustable shocks and tweaking them.

Not so sure about the led headlight either. Looks cool, but it's got a fan running in the housing to keep things cool. What happens if/when the fan fails?

Don't think I need the multi-wheel. I don't run a gps now, or music that I need to scroll through menu options, and I sure as hell aint going to bluetooth a phone into my helmet. Riding is my time to get away from all that.

Gotta haves?

Cruise control. Bike is already ride by wire, it's just software for the CC. Might as well get it

TPM, I've had this on my 2007 and I'm sold. Been great over the years and many flats.

i can't speak for the rest of the new bikes across the country but the first ones (literally) headed to my dealer are thought to be "loaded" in terms of the options/options package. having been down the Ohlins aftermarket route, i actually welcome the updated Sachs system and am hoping that it is better than the current ESA kit, i'm pretty sure it will be. if it were going to be my only bike i might opt differently. i'm ok with the LED lights, cruise control is a nice feature although i didn't think much of it on my RT (it really is meant for long distance travel), each wheel type has its advantages/disadvantages, TPM is nice, and like you, i surely don't need the GPS/menu wheel but my guess is that it will come on all the bikes??? having said all of that, i wonder what the time will be for special order bikes? personally, i'm ok with getting a loaded one, i have that much faith in the new suspension, it can't be any worse than what's currently being used.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #4868
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
having said all of that, i wonder what the time will be for special order bikes? personally, i'm ok with getting a loaded one, i have that much faith in the new suspension, it can't be any worse than what's currently being used.
That is what I was talking about in my post. My dealer originally said that all the initial bikes would be loaded up all the way but now he says they will all be able to be customized with what the customer wants. Guessing my dealer might have not gotten some of the first shipment like you guys in CA are talking about. I am #1 in line so it is not like people in front of me got the first couple "kitted out" bikes. Expected delivery of early to mid April.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #4869
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG * View Post
According to the literature I picked up at the Cleveland show, the only options I want are heated grips, bag mounts, hand guards and LED headlite but BMW NA will probably group things I don't want to get these options. The spoke/ cast wheels aren't shown on base or available options, but all the pics have cast wheels. Although the new spoke wheels are really awesome, I'm not paying $600 extra for them!

The new bike is really cool. Reminds me of back in 04 waiting for the new 1200 after riding the 1150 pig
In Canada spoke wheels will be $450 and there are 4 option packages

http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/01/2...h-bmw-r1200gs/

"There are also four options packages available. The Comfort package includes the tire pressure monitor, luggage brackets and hand guards for $625. The Touring package adds to that Dynamic ESA, GPS hardware (no GPS), an onboard computer and chromed exhaust for $1,600. The Active package includes Enduro ASC (traction control) and cruise control for $800, and the Dynamic package includes ASC, ESA, GPS hardware, computer and the LED headlight for $2,300. A low seat (820-840 mm) is a no-cost option."
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #4870
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Denial: Source Wikipedia....it's not only a river in Egypt as they say

simple denial: deny the reality of the unpleasant fact altogether
minimisation: admit the fact but deny its seriousness (a combination of denial and rationalization)
projection: admit both the fact and seriousness but deny responsibility by blaming somebody or something else.
I'm curious to know what you think is being denied? Are you already so convinced that the bike has a headshake problem, that anyone that dares point out that any bike can suffer headshake in certain conditions is just in denial? That's pretty laughable, actually.

When I owned a Ninja 650, people would occasionally come onto one of the Ninja 650 forums complaining of headshake. Surely then, the Ninja 650 has a manufacturer defect that Kawasaki knew about and was covering up.

When I owned a KLR650, people would occasionally come onto one of the KLR650 forums complaining of headshake. Surely then, the KLR650 has a manufacturer defect that Kawasaki knew about and was covering up.

When I owned a Wee Strom, people would occasionally come onto one of the Wee Strom forums complaining of headshake. Surely then, the Wee Strom has a manufacturer defect that Suzuki knew about and was covering up.

How the hell I survived 3 death trap motorcycles that the manufacturers knowlingly sold with fatal flaws is just beyond me.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #4871
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
ordered mine as followed :

Thundergrey metallic
Dynamic 2 Package (ASC-ESA-LEDlight-DashPro-Pre Nav)
Chrome exhaust
Heated grips
Handprotect
Reduced power
Cruise control
Pre-maquillage case setup

delivery in 6 weeks, and still totally stoked
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #4872
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
I'm curious to know what you think is being denied? Are you already so convinced that the bike has a headshake problem, that anyone that dares point out that any bike can suffer headshake in certain conditions is just in denial? That's pretty laughable, actually.

When I owned a Ninja 650, people would occasionally come onto one of the Ninja 650 forums complaining of headshake. Surely then, the Ninja 650 has a manufacturer defect that Kawasaki knew about and was covering up.

When I owned a KLR650, people would occasionally come onto one of the KLR650 forums complaining of headshake. Surely then, the KLR650 has a manufacturer defect that Kawasaki knew about and was covering up.

When I owned a Wee Strom, people would occasionally come onto one of the Wee Strom forums complaining of headshake. Surely then, the Wee Strom has a manufacturer defect that Suzuki knew about and was covering up.

How the hell I survived 3 death trap motorcycles that the manufacturers knowlingly sold with fatal flaws is just beyond me.
seriously?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #4873
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
having been down the Ohlins aftermarket route, i actually welcome the updated Sachs system and am hoping that it is better than the current ESA kit, i'm pretty sure it will be. if it were going to be my only bike i might opt differently.
Yeah, I was hopeful that the new GS dynamic suspension would be like the dynamic suspension that comes with the HP4. It's dynamic Sachs rear shock you can actually change the compression and rebound damping for each ride mode from a menu button. However, from what I can tell from the reports on the new GS intro, you can only change each ride mode with Hard, Standard, or Soft. No individual compression or rebound adjustment for each shock. I'm hoping Ohlins TTX will soon be available on the new GS, so I'm thinking I'll buy with the crappy stock non dynamic shocks and then change them out.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #4874
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
ordered mine as followed :

Thundergrey metallic
Dynamic 2 Package (ASC-ESA-LEDlight-DashPro-Pre Nav)
Chrome exhaust
Heated grips
Handprotect
Reduced power
Cruise control
Pre-maquillage case setup

delivery in 6 weeks, and still totally stoked
Reduced power?
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #4875
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Reduced power?
I think he means the different ride modes.