Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #5326
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
With the cost, probably to some extent. If you take the price of the bike without taxes it's more or less the same as in the rest of Europe. It's the environmental and import tax that make the price ridiculous. Gas costs around 14NOK/liter.

It's really hard to say what extent of extra warranty cost is paid by the customers. In case of other products that require prolonged warranty (electronics etc.) there is no price difference.
You can easily count that. Over here 2 years is included, and 2 additional years can be bought for between 350 and 500 euro's.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #5327
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
You can easily count that. Over here 2 years is included, and 2 additional years can be bought for between 350 and 500 euro's.
I'm aware that nothing in this world is for free ;) But with the price of the bike here, few hundred euro up or down doesn't really matter. The bike is still incredibly expensive :P I have a stoic approach, I don't stress about things I cannot influence, and just take them as they come ;)
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #5328
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
The dark one looked like this:

And the red white and blue one looked like this

These are images from SJ BMW's (http://www.sjbmw.com/bikes.asp?s=new&bid=198) web site.

Is there a different 2013 R1200GS out there, with the exhaust pipe pointing forward, that weighs 525 lbs with a 720W alternator (things that drew my attention)?

Honestly, I haven't been paying attention to the new R1200GS as of late, and thought all 2013's were water cooled (to some degree).
Keep up at the back
Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #5329
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
The dark one looked like this:

And the red white and blue one looked like this

These are images from SJ BMW's (http://www.sjbmw.com/bikes.asp?s=new&bid=198) web site.

Is there a different 2013 R1200GS out there, with the exhaust pipe pointing forward, that weighs 525 lbs with a 720W alternator (things that drew my attention)?

Honestly, I haven't been paying attention to the new R1200GS as of late, and thought all 2013's were water cooled (to some degree).
Talking about living under a rock (ok maybe you ride around climbing OVER rocks and don't have much time for Internet).
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #5330
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Time for the morning news update. (NLS, got you again, you need to be faster ;) )
Yeah I am getting slow. :)
I'd say it's the time zone but I would be lying. I am just getting slow.
Thanks for the update.

(why people use just 720p nowadays... 1080p PEOPLE! 4K is coming!)
Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #5331
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm aware that nothing in this world is for free ;) But with the price of the bike here, few hundred euro up or down doesn't really matter. The bike is still incredibly expensive :P I have a stoic approach, I don't stress about things I cannot influence, and just take them as they come ;)
Well, I don't really worry either. If the price was an issue I would have bought something else.
Why did I buy one? Cause I want one and I can.

And as a plus side: Since it is officially used for professional purpose (I use it to commute and work in a heavily congested area) I get quite a lot of my money back from the taxes.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:02 AM   #5332
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
In Europe there are emission tests for bikes, but only upon construction. The current norm is EU3 for bikes, and EU5 for cars. Diesel cars (in Belgium) need to pass an emissions test as from 4 years of age, petrol and bikes not (yes, there are diesel motorcycles).
Erm... yes ok. Why are you telling me things I know?

BTW in Greece they just started (this year I think) periodic emission and safety tests for bikes.
One way to get more money of course.
Will be interesting to see people renting their stock exhausts.
Will also be interesting to see what are they going to do with all the 20-30+ years old mopeds.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #5333
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Yeah I am getting slow. :)
I'd say it's the time zone but I would be lying. I am just getting slow.
Thanks for the update.

(why people use just 720p nowadays... 1080p PEOPLE! 4K is coming!)

Aren't we in the same time zone ? ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1
Well, I don't really worry either. If the price was an issue I would have bought something else.
Why did I buy one? Cause I want one and I can.

And as a plus side: Since it is officially used for professional purpose (I use it to commute and work in a heavily congested area) I get quite a lot of my money back from the taxes.
Same here :) Or actually I get a tax return for commuting to work not dependent on the vehicle. It's just based on the distance I have to commute in a year. As well can be on a cool bike ;)

With I can thing. So true. I answer always cracked me up, in Pimp My Ride one of the mechanics said "You might ask me why did I put 9 LCD tvs in the floor and one under the car... Well... Because I can !" And that sums it up ;)
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #5334
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
No we have an hour difference. Still I would be lying to give such an excuse. It's not like we are half day apart.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #5335
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Same here :) Or actually I get a tax return for commuting to work not dependent on the vehicle. It's just based on the distance I have to commute in a year. As well can be on a cool bike ;)

With I can thing. So true. I answer always cracked me up, in Pimp My Ride one of the mechanics said "You might ask me why did I put 9 LCD tvs in the floor and one under the car... Well... Because I can !" And that sums it up ;)
Here cars can also be included in the tax return, but they are limited to 0.15€/km. For a motorcycle you can put all your costs into the return. It gets quite interesting if you play it like that.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #5336
NLS
My bike needs washing...

To return to the bike...

I just noticed (on the very nice engine render video), that the cylinders are LDS coated (...erm... from "Lichtbogendrahtspritzen" apparently).

LDS AFAIK is used in a few performance Mercedes (AMG) and BMW cars for a few years. It is a process that allows for thinner cylinder walls (even half thick!) allowing greater thermal transfer, so allowing the engine to run hotter (and cool faster). Nice.

Of course we should expect the classic 1150 (or 1100) owner, any second now, claiming that this makes the cylinder heads less tough or something.
Are they using their GS as battering ram or what? Well my right cylinder (plus guards) has survived drops, one car directly hitting ON it -saving my leg - and a car door hit edge-first (!), again saving my leg... haven't even replaced the scratched cover.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #5337
AA5IB
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
I get the impression only few people took the spoke wheels.
I did.
'09 R1200 HP2 Sport
www.randyeads.com
"I don't know where we're going, but we're makin' good time." (Stacy Dean Campbell, "Makin' Good Time")
AA5IB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #5338
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5IB View Post
I did.
Me too.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #5339
7mary4
Ponch

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Whatever Mary.

Jim
I am surprised you don't know your motorcycle TV trivia.
2009 BMW R1200RT "Hans Eric" 7M4
http://www.mymotorrad.com
7mary4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #5340
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Sorry that I keep bringing up the topic: You know... BMW R1200GS 2013...

Seems that the reviews that pile up have improved the percentage of people that haven't noticed the vibration (to tank slapping) alleged issue to those who did.
Good thing. I am sure, after Morocco presentation we'll have more data.

I want to bring up something else though... I wonder if Ash's death is related to the recall. I mean... oil on the wheels can get you killed even going straight. Far fetched? Possibly. Leaving us in the dark though, doesn't help.

(it is a fixed issue though if this makes you feel better)

Anybody know who was the second rider that seems to have hit Kevin's dropped GS?
Maybe he has published more data about the incident?

EDIT: I tried to find updated info. I read two contradicting reports. First says that Kevin being third in the convoy, hit the dropped bike of the second in convoy, who had a dislocated shoulder and broken finger or something. The fourth in the convoy was the first to try to help. Second report is that Kevin dropped the bike (common in a launch btw... on road or off road), got up and the following rider hit him... Completely contradicting, yet both don't seem to directly relate to any bike (alleged) shortcomings. (*)

(*) One guy commented on the second report (where I found it) that this proves that GS is just a big tourer. OK man you are clueless (I was tempted to register there just to post that). Not because GS is or isn't capable off-road, but because a bike drop on an off-road course is not uncommon with ANY kind and even pure off-road bikes. It is usually part of the fun.

NLS screwed with this post 02-14-2013 at 06:07 AM