ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #5866
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Akra all the way.
Will replace extra lights passive safety with extra sound passive safety. :)
Lighter, cooler looking too.
Maybe a couple of HP in there also.
I think that the more light, the better, but they seem kind of pointless if you can't run them when you want to. I'll have a think over the next few days, I guess it depends if they arrive in time for the bike delivery. If they don't then I'll save some more money and go for the Akro instead.
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #5867
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
Great post, very entertaining.

Thanks for reposting it in its entirety!
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #5868
slojon
SLOJON
 
slojon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: South Coast-NSW-Australia
Oddometer: 522
I saw the new GS in the flesh at the Supers @ Phillip Island last week and to tell you the truth, its UGLY and I own an 09 GSA.
It is as heavy as my GSA, almost, and it just does not appeal at all. It is fitted with so many gadgets that I wonder about what its function really is. It seems that it is not meant to be a dual sport any more. It looks to be a tourer and as such what is the point of the 19 inch front. It would be a better street bike with a 17 incher.
slojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #5869
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2blade View Post
Great post, very entertaining.
What was not entertaining, was you posting it all over again.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #5870
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by slojon View Post
I saw the new GS in the flesh at the Supers @ Phillip Island last week and to tell you the truth, its UGLY and I own an 09 GSA.
It is as heavy as my GSA, almost, and it just does not appeal at all. It is fitted with so many gadgets that I wonder about what its function really is. It seems that it is not meant to be a dual sport any more. It looks to be a tourer and as such what is the point of the 19 inch front. It would be a better street bike with a 17 incher.
Well I am glad you find your current bike looking better than the newer version. Will be good for your pocket. Beauty is subjective.

But for the rest... You haven't really followed the updates, what is actually new etc. right?
It is far from being as heavy as your GSA. It's very few kg more than the GS but its CoG is better and general geometry is better, so everybody that has riden it found it to "feel the same or lighter".
Most gadgets are optional.
It is a great tourer yes. It is also better enduro than the last model (partially BECAUSE of the optional gadgets mind you).
Now... an enduro discussion about the "plain" GS coming from a GSA owner... well... doesn't sound very objective. Your GSA is definitely worse off-road than a GS (with the same rider *), let alone the new GS which is better anyway.
(* let's not start the "it's the rider not the machine" discussion)
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #5871
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
It is also better enduro than the last model (partially BECAUSE of the optional gadgets mind you).
The late Kevin Ash and a few other journos might beg to disagree.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #5872
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The late Kevin Ash and a few other journos might beg to disagree.
Now I won't answer this, but without knowing what happened (you and me both), this can be read very wrong.
I would be more careful for such sensitive matters.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #5873
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Copperhill, Tennessee
Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The late Kevin Ash and a few other journos might beg to disagree.
Pure stupid with out facts speculation on your part.
__________________
Dean O
BMW nut and Happy Camper
Copperhill, Tn.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #5874
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer
 
y2blade's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: UK
Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Thanks for reposting it in its entirety!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
What was not entertaining, was you posting it all over again.
Sorry
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #5875
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,848
Bad netiquette.. i nuked your post re-quoting all those pics.
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #5876
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Now I won't answer this, but without knowing what happened (you and me both), this can be read very wrong.
I would be more careful for such sensitive matters.

Seems pretty black and white to me. Famous motorcycle journalist known for his enthusiasm yet still conservative crashes on gravel. BMW builds a wall of silence around the accident that has remained since then... Other journalists reporting offroad stability problems. Now a fork part recall. The math adds up in the absence of BMW simply being straightforward with the Ash accident.

Personally I prefer non-watercooled bikes for hardcore offroading, that much less to damage, and the big GS has always handled very well G or S.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #5877
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
Pure stupid with out facts speculation on your part.
The speculation is fed by BMW's silence over the matter and obvious censorship of all the journalists there. It's strange because whenever moto journalists die "in the line of duty" normally an accident report and related information are released pretty quickly.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #5878
El Gato
Studly Adventurer
 
El Gato's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Seems pretty black and white to me. Famous motorcycle journalist known for his enthusiasm yet still conservative crashes on gravel. BMW builds a wall of silence around the accident that has remained since then... Other journalists reporting offroad stability problems. Now a fork part recall. The math adds up in the absence of BMW simply being straightforward with the Ash accident.
I think your tinfoil hat has slipped off.
__________________
---
El Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #5879
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Seems pretty black and white to me. Famous motorcycle journalist known for his enthusiasm yet still conservative crashes on gravel. BMW builds a wall of silence around the accident that has remained since then... Other journalists reporting offroad stability problems. Now a fork part recall. The math adds up in the absence of BMW simply being straightforward with the Ash accident.

Personally I prefer non-watercooled bikes for hardcore offroading, that much less to damage, and the big GS has always handled very well G or S.
As I said I won't comment on your line of thought, except what I already said. Other may step up.

Now for prefering non-wc for hardcore off-roading, must be limiting you rather much, because I think most pure enduros nowadays ARE wc (including competition... correct me if I am wrong).

Also if we take something in the loose category where big-GS is, KTM 950 and 990 seems to have no issue being wc off-road (and 990-on also fuel injection... another one fossil-riders seem to hate).

Returning to the GS, it is kind of funny what happens when a new generation comes up. I've seen this way too many times... R1200GS face-lift by R1200GS owners (and back), R1200GS by R1150GS owners (and back), R1150GS by R1100GS owners (and back) and so on... Until of course they do the trade.

Anyway to each his own.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #5880
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The speculation is fed by BMW's silence over the matter and obvious censorship of all the journalists there. It's strange because whenever moto journalists die "in the line of duty" normally an accident report and related information are released pretty quickly.
Like when?
Feel free to send link, scan, whatever.

EDIT: I'd like an explanation on why Kevin's family "seems ok" with whatever info they have (which is probably way more than what we have and most probably NOT just by BMW Motorrad). Haven't heard of any dispute. I wouldn't go as far as explaining it with "grey" explanations. I leave this to you. :)
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...

NLS screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:27 AM
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014