Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #646
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubb1 View Post

That is a 2009 or older R1200 Hexhead. Total crap story.

The other one is a 2010-2011 Camhead:

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #647
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,045
The political banter has been punted.. we have a whole forum devoted to politics and you'll find your favorite global warming / hoax threads there.. Let's keep this one about the bike.. and this thread has been merged with the exisiting on the liquid cooled boxer.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #648
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
Because it's a better way to cool an engine.

I don't ever want being an 'icon' to be the driving force behind not changing something. There's already a motorcycle company that does that, to it's detriment.
You mean the company who sells bikes hand over fist? They've got a water cooled bike, but it doesn't sell as well as their air/oil cooled bikes. That's pretty much the same as BMW - their best selling bikes have air/oil cooled engines with a roughly century old basic design.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 AM   #649
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
The political banter has been punted.. we have a whole forum devoted to politics and you'll find your favorite global warming / hoax threads there.. Let's keep this one about the bike.. and this thread has been merged with the exisiting on the liquid cooled boxer.
Oops. More simpler, more gooder. One of the reasons I picked the GS over a ktm was water pump woes.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #650
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Oddometer: 499
My Thought

Why the water head.

EURO 5 Emission standard.

And the Boxer needs water with more power output.

It makes sence for me anyway.

McFury.
Whats next ? Man walking on the moon ?.
All typing is done with One Finger using a MacPro Computer.
McFuryMcNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #651
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,384
Also by putting the intake on top of the head we now have a dedicated intake and exhaust cam. This leaves the door open for adjustable cam timing, another tool needed for emissions and fuel efficiency at some point.

Water cooled heads are also useful for when BMW makes the transition to direct injection.

This engine architecture is going to enable a lot of advances, that some will embrace and some will hate.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #652
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacePanzer View Post
What's not there, cannot break.
Uh...if you look under your headlight, you will see a oil cooler there already, so what's the big deal if it's a bit bigger and holds water? Besides Touratech will make a beautiful billet, stainless or titanium guard for us to buy to cover it up!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #653
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
Im going to buy one just to piss you nay sayers off!! Now the big question is, will all the farkles from my 2010 fit on my 2013?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #654
moist
Thaumaturgist

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
Im going to buy one just to piss you nay sayers off!! Now the big question is, will all the farkles from my 2010 fit on my 2013?
NO
Old 09-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #655
stin987
R1200GSA

Oddometer: 211
Watercooled R1200GS Prototype spotted in Greenville SC

On my was home today I was sitting in traffic on pelham rd bridge over interstate 85 and spotted new r1200gs heading for the 85 on ramp heading north.. After it got close to me I happened to notice that the bmw roundel was taped over with black tape and the camouflage black and white swirls on the fender, gas tank, and all the aluminum hard cases attached to it. It was very difficult to make out the exact color of the bike but it looked to be dark green or black. It took me a second to realize what I just saw, then I turned around to get a second look but it was too later. I don't know why their would be a prototype bmw motorcycle in Greenville unless it was coming from the michelin plant, bmw performance center or bmw plant.

Has anyone else seen this bikes around. They do have to test them somewhere. With the plant here it is not uncommon to see prototype bmw and mini cars around but to see a bike is kind of neat.

I don't know for sure if it was water cooler or not but I would be willing to bet it was.
stin987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #656
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,755
Thanks for the report. If it's the same as BMW Automotive, they send a fleet of mules to the US for testing before a new model. We're their biggest market, so they need to be sure they get it right here. The black tape over the roundels and the black and white swirl wrap is exactly what they use on the mules to disguise them.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #657
stin987
R1200GSA

You don't have to tell me this. I work for BMW car dealer. I am trained at the BMW performance center, and a school in atlanta. They always have pre-production cars at both training centers for training purposes before they are released to the public. In fact I have helped remove tape from the body before. It is a pita to remove.

Kind of makes me want to tape up my bike just to fool people.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #658
Spoke
feral teen

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by stin987 View Post
On my was home today I was sitting in traffic on pelham rd bridge over interstate 85 and spotted new r1200gs heading for the 85 on ramp heading north.. After it got close to me I happened to notice that the bmw roundel was taped over with black tape and the camouflage black and white swirls on the fender, gas tank, and all the aluminum hard cases attached to it. It was very difficult to make out the exact color of the bike but it looked to be dark green or black. It took me a second to realize what I just saw, then I turned around to get a second look but it was too later. I don't know why their would be a prototype bmw motorcycle in Greenville unless it was coming from the michelin plant, bmw performance center or bmw plant.

Has anyone else seen this bikes around. They do have to test them somewhere. With the plant here it is not uncommon to see prototype bmw and mini cars around but to see a bike is kind of neat.

I don't know for sure if it was water cooler or not but I would be willing to bet it was.
No pics, didn't happen

It entered my blood in 1970 on a Honda QA50
Spoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #659
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by stin987 View Post
You don't have to tell me this. I work for BMW car dealer. I am trained at the BMW performance center, and a school in atlanta. They always have pre-production cars at both training centers for training purposes before they are released to the public. In fact I have helped remove tape from the body before. It is a pita to remove.

Kind of makes me want to tape up my bike just to fool people.
Ya, its not just the training centers, the cars roam all over the country.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #660
stin987
R1200GSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoke View Post
No pics, didn't happen

I know right. If only I had the go pro. If I didn't leave work early today I would have missed it. It is still just an r1200gs. It still has the same overall shape to it. I am currently in the debate of selling my f800gs or just keep it until 2013 or 2014 and then make the move. I don't know if I can hold out or if I really want to hold out. I'm a little worried about water cooled engines having problems being so new for the 1200gs. I might just go with the trusty air/oil cooled motor. Something I can trust.