User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #6841
GSBruce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Deliveries - wtf?

What are people hearing about US deliveries? I am getting the mushroom treatment* from my dealer - I ordered mine back in November of 2012 and it was allegedly built the first week of January 2012. The dealer says they're getting the mushroom treatment from from BMW. I call bulls*&^ on it all - if BMW can produce some demo bikes they can damn sure deliver my bike. BMW needs to unF@#$ itself and get these bikes out stat.

(*) mushroom treatment = kept in the dark and fed manure
Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #6842
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBruce View Post
What are people hearing about US deliveries? I am getting the mushroom treatment* from my dealer - I ordered mine back in November of 2012 and it was allegedly built the first week of January 2012. The dealer says they're getting the mushroom treatment from from BMW. I call bulls*&^ on it all - if BMW can produce some demo bikes they can damn sure deliver my bike. BMW needs to unF@#$ itself and get these bikes out stat.

Big backlog of bikes at the port in NJ waiting to have the forks crimped...takes 20 minutes per bike and the tools are in very short supply. 150 dealers in US x 4 bikes each is 600 bikes. My dealer hasn't even received their demo bike yet. Has yours?

edit: They may also be doing the transmission campaign at the same time....anyone know that?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #6843
shay
reading is hard

Oddometer: 260
Sorry if this is a 205:

shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #6844
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Clunking when shifting into first gear yes, but the dry clutch GS has always been known for clunky shifting compared to japanese bikes for example with wet clutch, so I'm not sure that this explains rough shifting on the new GS. Disappointing to hear as previous reports had indicated that shifting was quite a bit smoother on the new GS. Perhaps the poster can elaborate further on the Clunkiness...was it just shifting into first or all shifts?
I recall people complaining about the "clunk" on the K1600 machines when they first came out, that may very well be a BMW trademark? I've only heard about this when the engines are cold on the 2013 GS LC, I'd not be worried at all.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #6845
Oldpeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5IB View Post
I ordered 38/31L Touratech in the anodized black finish.
Did they specify delivery dates? In Europe they won't be available until... July.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #6846
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBruce View Post

What dealer told you that? I was the first to order mine in November at my dealer and they said a good estimate was April, which is right on queue with what others are saying in this thread as well. I think you may have an overly optimistic dealer. Demo bikes and first batch of bikes (non-LED) have arrived at a lot of dealers, but these are not the special order bikes everyone else has purchased.

khale screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 01:40 PM
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #6847
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Clunking when shifting into first gear yes, but the dry clutch GS has always been known for clunky shifting compared to japanese bikes for example with wet clutch, so I'm not sure that this explains rough shifting on the new GS. Disappointing to hear as previous reports had indicated that shifting was quite a bit smoother on the new GS. Perhaps the poster can elaborate further on the Clunkiness...was it just shifting into first or all shifts?
When the bike is cold and you put it in first gear, there's a noticeable thud. I actually like it, as it goes in first time, every time. None of the pull the clutch in, then release it, then pull it in again to get first gear as on the previous 1200. The reason for this is the wet clutch. This only happens when the bike is cold, when selecting first gear. It doesn't happen in all gears
Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #6848
khale
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I actually like it, as it goes in first time, every time.
That's what she said. Sorry, had to be said.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #6849
Oldpeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
Anyone noticed this in the riders manual page 87?

Make sure the ground is level and firm and place the motor-cycle on its side stand.
The volume of the tank can be utilised to the full only when the motorcycle is propped on its side stand.

This is different to previous GSs as far as I can remember??
Why am I reading the riders manual? Because I have nothing better to do, waiting to collect my new bike on Saturday
I'd love to have a technical explanation for the fueling. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that on the sidestand you'd leave an empty space on the top right of the tank, while on the center stand, I suppose you could fill up to the top on both sides. Am I missing something? The shape of tank maybe.

Me too, I am reading the manual to help me wait until delivery of my LC, but that won't happen until the end of March. Hopefully.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #6850
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
When the bike is cold and you put it in first gear, there's a noticeable thud. I actually like it, as it goes in first time, every time. None of the pull the clutch in, then release it, then pull it in again to get first gear as on the previous 1200. The reason for this is the wet clutch. This only happens when the bike is cold, when selecting first gear. It doesn't happen in all gears
Good to hear...so overall is the shifting smoother than the camhead GS if you've ridden that?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #6851
mrjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I recall people complaining about the "clunk" on the K1600 machines when they first came out, that may very well be a BMW trademark? I've only heard about this when the engines are cold on the 2013 GS LC, I'd not be worried at all.
The K16 tends to clunk from the engine and or shaft drive when engaging the clutch when changing gear or from when coasting in traffic.
The GS doesn't do this, it just has a clunk when selecting 1st with the clutch in, in common with most BMWs and indeed other makes.
In general though the new Japanese built gearbox is a lot nicer shifting than on previous GSs, though on mine at least finding neutral is sometimes difficult.
mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #6852
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardbikerider View Post
Which pannier system do you choose for your new GS?
I'm considering on Holan, Touratech and also OEM, i'm a bit confused what I want.
I went with the OEM cases. I use my bike often in town and mostly use them in narrow position, except for stationary use or on holiday.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #6853
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpeg View Post
I'd love to have a technical explanation for the fueling. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that on the sidestand you'd leave an empty space on the top right of the tank, while on the center stand, I suppose you could fill up to the top on both sides. Am I missing something? The shape of tank maybe.

Me too, I am reading the manual to help me wait until delivery of my LC, but that won't happen until the end of March. Hopefully.
Is it the shape of the gas tank (pos. 1) that requires the bike to be on the side stand in order to be filled up to the maximum? No, if you look at the drawing below. The shape of the tank gives the impression that an upright tank will provide the maximal fuel capacity.

The shape and function of the filler tube (pos. 3) may require the bike to be on the side stand to provide maximal fuel capacity. Hard to say.

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #6854
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Good to hear...so overall is the shifting smoother than the camhead GS if you've ridden that?
Yep, much smoother I've owned three twin cam 1200's, and this bike is on a whole new level
Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #6855
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
My dealer (Morton's BMW) in Fredericksburg VA received it first bike and it is being prepped in the shop. It should be on the sales floor by now. It is not a demo nor a special order and doesn't have the LED lights.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote