Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #6886
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
re-read...he never said they didn't have them on the top.
re-read what I said...

i found the hassel was no drain plug on bottom for the short time they made them that way. Turns out BMW was wrong in thinking it was a life long oil, as filled from factory.... of course my memory might have failed me
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #6887
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by matiascronwell View Post
looks like the 1200 lc has a hassle free final drive oil change due to a filler plug located above the housing.

in other words with out a ( bottom) drain plug... it wont be so hassle free.... or am i missing something
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #6888
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeg View Post
Did you know getting your hands on a set of Vario Cases is almost impossible. Had SF BMW order mine today, said there were none in the US to be had. And they aren't sure when they will be able to get more. ODD!!
I held a set in my hands over a week ago at my dealer in Chicago, and I rode the demo bike in St louis and they have a pair in stock for it...they also had the BMW crash bars on it.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #6889
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
in other words with out a ( bottom) drain plug... it wont be so hassle free.... or am i missing something
Perhaps someone with the new bike can answer Mr. Obvious' question
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #6890
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Guess I'm just not seeing the big woopty doo on the led lights. I mean Starbucks isn't open at midnight so who needs the damn LED lights? Cool factor yes, wait another two months for one..nope.
Nothing wrong with this setup. You'll eventually be changing bulbs but the technology is totally proven and you should be able to find these bulbs even in remote places of this planet, I'm staying local so I want LED.
I find that LED front profile pretty cool, overall it's not exactly a beauty so the LEDs (incl. turn signals) help if you ask me.

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #6891
simoneau
Biker/Adventurer/Retiree

Oddometer: 191
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=33&fg=74

If you look here you'll find the final drive has a drain plug on the bottom outside, a filler plug on the top rear outside and an oil level plug midway rear inside.
simoneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #6892
GSBruce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Did you know getting your hands on a set of Vario Cases is almost impossible. Had SF BMW order mine today, said there were none in the US to be had. And they aren't sure when they will be able to get more. ODD!!
My dealer has my cases but my built-in-January bike is nowhere to be seen. This delivery scheme of BMW's flat bleauxs dog. I am resenting BMW's nonsense more and more every day; they are generating hella bad will with me.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #6893
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
You are missing something. On earlier bikes you had to remove the wheel to get to the fill plug. On the earliest hexheads you had to remove the abs/speedo sensor as there was no specific fill plug.

The new bikes have a drain on the bottom and a fill plug that looks like it does not require wheel removal.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #6894
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,683
AFAIK, my '12 camhead requires wheel removal, and detaching the FD from the torque arm to drain with the FD rotated backwards about 90°, as the drain is on the back of the housing, not the bottom. Filling is from the inboard side.
dmac57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #6895
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
AFAIK, my '12 camhead requires wheel removal, and detaching the FD from the torque arm to drain with the FD rotated backwards about 90°, as the drain is on the back of the housing, not the bottom. Filling is from the inboard side.
Correct about the wheel removal, but there is a drain plug on the bottom so detaching the FD is no longer required.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #6896
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
was at this German dealer
http://www.kohl.de/motorrad/neumotorraeder/bmw/ last week, and asked if he already had the vario cases in stock.
The guy at the counter checked and told me that they have 251 left, and 251 right side cases for the new LC already in stock..
maybe he took some of your US cases just for their shop
268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #6897
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
DRL (the one that won't be available in the US, looks weak. I'd rather ride with proper low-beam.

and a different picture of the U-shaped DRL, here it's nice and bright (camera exposure dependent...)
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #6898
EJ_92606
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
was at this German dealer
http://www.kohl.de/motorrad/neumotorraeder/bmw/ last week, and asked if he already had the vario cases in stock.
The guy at the counter checked and told me that they have 251 left, and 251 right side cases for the new LC already in stock..
maybe he took some of your US cases just for their shop
I'd like to see that dealer's stock room . I'm sure that number is what BMW Germany has at the distribution center for the whole country. A little bit crazy that Germany would have that level of stock given the bike isn't even available for sale there yet, but places where it is have no stock
Old 03-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #6899
Desert John
Desert John

Oddometer: 199
I rode the new LCGS today

Rode the stripped down demo today in Escondido, CA. It didn't have ESA, computer, LEDs or semi-active suspension. But is was a hoot, with acceleration like my Tuono and it felt lighter (but wasn't of course) than my '10 GS. I actually forgot to try the cruise control which is one of the main reasons I'm getting it. The windshield works perfectly at today's 90 mph test and it handled the twisties on Bandy Creek Road with aplomb. I loved it.

Sadly, the next three bikes coming to the dealership lack the LED headlights so mine is currently being built and is expected in about six weeks. By then all accessories should be in. I was told today that the cases, etc. are in and the only lacking accessories are the Akra slip-ons and the tinted windshield. Oh, and it sounds sort of loud.

Had to put new Tourances on my soon-to-be-traded-in GS today because I'd sort of planned on making the tires last until the trade. Oh, well, it'll be a selling point with almost new tires, right?
Desert John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #6900
bolderboulder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert John View Post
Sadly, the next three bikes coming to the dealership lack the LED headlights so mine is currently being built and is expected in about six weeks.
I'm quite skeptical about the 6-week estimate. My dealer told me the same thing when I ordered mine two weeks ago. But some folks here who ordered last November still haven't seen their bikes yet.
bolderboulder is offline   Reply With Quote