Russ

Oddometer: 14,439
MaxReving Check your PM's mate.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #7397
Japanviking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
For a while I have tried to decide between the KTM 1190 or the LC GS. I currently ride a 2006 GS in great shape with full Öhlins suspension.

Had almost decided on getting the KTM. It is quite a bit cheaper here in Tokyo compared to the GS and I kinda wanted something a bit different.
I test rode the GS and it was very nice.

I still felt like I wanted to try the KTM before I decided but it is not available here before early May.

Then I started to think about the bigger picture. In 2009 I bought a brand new Superduke R. I spent a shitload of money and time on that bike just to make it rideable. On track and on certain roads it was wonderful but often I felt like setting it on fire and kicking it into a ditch.
Traded it in for a S1000rr at the end of last year, lost 75% of what I paid for the bike.

I am on my third 1200gs, I have owned a 2006 and also a 2008. The current 2006 was bought 3 years ago with 30 000km's on it. It is now at 60k's and it hasn't given me one single problem.

Considering the track record of irritating issues with the Superduke together with the resale value I just couldn't bring myself to but another KTM just yet. Maybe the new 1190 will be the game changer?

Went down to the BMW dealer and bought a thunder gray GS on Saturday afternoon....hope to ride it already next weekend :-)

I feel a bit like a BMW fan boy with 2 new BMW in the garage....but they were both bought for their individual merits. The s1000rr is also a very sweet bike.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #7398
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
For a while I have tried to decide between the KTM 1190 or the LC GS. I currently ride a 2006 GS in great shape with full Öhlins suspension.

Had almost decided on getting the KTM. It is quite a bit cheaper here in Tokyo compared to the GS and I kinda wanted something a bit different.
I test rode the GS and it was very nice.

I still felt like I wanted to try the KTM before I decided but it is not available here before early May.

Then I started to think about the bigger picture. In 2009 I bought a brand new Superduke R. I spent a shitload of money and time on that bike just to make it rideable. On track and on certain roads it was wonderful but often I felt like setting it on fire and kicking it into a ditch.
Traded it in for a S1000rr at the end of last year, lost 75% of what I paid for the bike.

I am on my third 1200gs, I have owned a 2006 and also a 2008. The current 2006 was bought 3 years ago with 30 000km's on it. It is now at 60k's and it hasn't given me one single problem.

Considering the track record of irritating issues with the Superduke together with the resale value I just couldn't bring myself to but another KTM just yet. Maybe the new 1190 will be the game changer?

Went down to the BMW dealer and bought a thunder gray GS on Saturday afternoon....hope to ride it already next weekend :-)

I feel a bit like a BMW fan boy with 2 new BMW in the garage....but they were both bought for their individual merits. The s1000rr is also a very sweet bike.
Congratulations! What options did you get and did the bike you test rode have dynamic suspension?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #7399
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Congratulations! What options did you get and did the bike you test rode have dynamic suspension?

Only the premium package is readily available here in Japan (other specs can be ordered if you want to wait months) and it comes with dynamic suspension. I test-rode one Saturday and called up my buddy JV to tell him how impressed I was with the motor. Couple hours later I get an email saying he pulled the trigger on one.

The one I rode I had for 40 minutes in an urban environment. Not nearly enough time or conditions to evaluate the suspension in its various modes. Can only say that I had no complaints. I stayed in dynamic riding mode almost the whole time.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #7400
Japanviking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Thanks!
All bikes available here have the same package of extras. I think the bike has everything except spoke wheels and Cruise control.
The only thing I would have changed if I had ordered the bike would be to get the regular suspension. I might change my mind if the Dynamic ESA turns out to be very good but so far the electronic suspension gimmicks haven't compared favorably to a nice set of high end shocks IMHO. Will report back about how I like it compared to the Öhlins I have now.

The test ride was in Tokyo traffic so not much can be said about the suspension. I was surprised how agile the complete bike felt compared to the old GS. Everything from the lower COG, the slicker gearbox and clutch to the throttle response makes it easier to ride.
I believe the LC bike is much less an acquired taste compared to the old one. I think even a non GS rider would enjoy a first ride on this bike. On the older bike some miles were needed for people to like it I think.

I am getting the Navi IV with the bike. Like the thought of having it nicely integrated with the bike.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #7401
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Does anyone know if the navigation mount plate can be easily unplugged and removed? Can anyone confirm that it blocks the view of the top of the tach?
Here's a picture from the Seattle MC Show

Laguna Seca MotoGP Trips-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13
NP Trips-Glacier/Yellowstone/GTs/Bryce/Zion/GC/Joshua/Yosemite/Lassen/Crater Lake
Serp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #7402
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serp View Post
Here's a picture from the Seattle MC Show

Thanks...looks fine from that angle, but either you are less than 5' tall or you are in a tuck in that photo
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #7403
bolderboulder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
oil drain plug

Does anyone know whether the engine oil drain plug have a magnet end? If not what's the size of threads? Magnet oil plug is almost the 1st thing I put on every bike I've owned.
bolderboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #7404
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Thanks...looks fine from that angle, but either you are less than 5' tall or you are in a tuck in that photo
I think I was standing beside the bike but can't remember since it was 3 months ago.

Laguna Seca MotoGP Trips-06/07/08/09/10/11/12/13
NP Trips-Glacier/Yellowstone/GTs/Bryce/Zion/GC/Joshua/Yosemite/Lassen/Crater Lake
Serp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #7405
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post

Congratualations. Nice combo. S1000RR and the new 1200GS LC. You can always retrofit the cruise control, if you find out that you can't live without it, and the same goes for the spoke wheels (they are however very expensive).

Please, share some photos of your new ride.

Max :-)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #7406
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Did you test ride the new 1200GS LC (liquid cooled) ? I can understand that the looks of this new GS (as well as previous GS models) doesn't appeal to all but judging it like you have done without riding it first might take a positive surprise away from you.

Reading your further comments it seams as you are more into a KTM or a sports car. I can highly recommend a Ferrari 458 but I am not so sure about the KTM.

Max :-)
Perhaps I was a bit harsh. But - to me - it lacks appeal, and lineage back to the original GS is kind of difficult to spot. This one is a departure...from a design that has been very successful, and even iconic.

The wet clutch and alternator in a sensible place take the engineering concept in the right direction, but the big metal ear hiding the radiator seems unnecessary and looks a bit frail. Others looking at it commented on the lack of windshield bars for GPS mounts, and a few other things. The adjustment feature on the windshield, though, worked well...at least in the shop.

Didn't get to ride it. Probably will, one of these days, though. I don't hate it...but it didn't immediately speak to me like the original did...and regrettably, I never owned one of those, either.

More disclosure: I have a '10 GSA. I used to have a 990. Not sure that I'd buy the BMW the next time. Probably won't need another dual sport at this point in my life. I don't ride off road very much at all. And the Ferrari guys don't make a subcompact under 20 grand, which would be the only model I could afford now, after putting a couple of kids through college!

Maybe someday I can own another 4-speed Super Beetle...but until then, I have the GSA...and that's all I need. That, and this lamp...and this paddle ball. And that's all I need.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #7407
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 194
A question to all you guys that already did few kilometers on new bikes. How's the oil consumption ?
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #7408
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post

Who will? Some yet unknown Chinese company? Probably.
Do four and six cylinder boxers count?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #7409
Lowlevel
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Water cooled GS

I test rode the new GS last friday. I have an 05 GS. I liked the extra HP and the handling felt alright for the short 15 minute ride. The 1 thing I absolutely disliked was where the sidestand "lever" was located. It is in between the gearshift and footpeg. I could not get my boot under the gearshift comfortably.
Lowlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 AM   #7410
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowlevel View Post
I test rode the new GS last friday. I have an 05 GS. I liked the extra HP and the handling felt alright for the short 15 minute ride. The 1 thing I absolutely disliked was where the sidestand "lever" was located. It is in between the gearshift and footpeg. I could not get my boot under the gearshift comfortably.
Heel or Toe? Pushing it down with your heel is so easy
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote