Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 AM   #7411
pklop
shit happens

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Confirmed that the mount with GPS on, does block partial view of the tach, mostly from the top.

Here's the pic that TallGuy posted, for illustration, the shadow of the GPS onto the tach, is basically what gets blocked IMHO.
This also depends on the tilt of the bracket/navigator and rider height. I'm 1.80 meters and ride with the seat in the normal (not high) position. I can adjust the bracket enough to see all the numbers including the six. This without giving the navigator to far a tilt. I cannot keep the navigator horizontal, that way i wouldn't be able to see the top of tach (the six). But i don't like it horizontal anyway.
pklop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #7412
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanviking View Post
The s1000rr is also a very sweet bike.
Now someone in Japan to have the S1000RR is the news for me.
I don't see a fan boy there, I see someone really evaluating pluses and minuses.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:23 AM   #7413
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
A question to all you guys that already did few kilometers on new bikes. How's the oil consumption ?
I REALLY doubt we would have news about this yet.
(also I doubt it will burn oil - it now takes fully synthetic etc.)

In my 07 I have upped the oil 3 (read: THREE) times in its 6 year life (with almost daily riding) and actually more or less know WHY I burned it, so oil was never a problem for me.
It makes a difference when you don't bother too much and let the machine do its work. I was never scared about how hi or low in the window the oil was as long as it was somewhere in there between oil changes.

(now where are the "how to run it in" posts? strange we didn't have any yet hahahaha)
Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #7414
UK_Engineer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post

In my 07 I have upped the oil 3 (read: THREE) times in its 6 year life (with almost daily riding) and actually more or less know WHY I burned it, so oil was never a problem for me.
It makes a difference when you don't bother too much and let the machine do its work. I was never scared about how hi or low in the window the oil was as long as it was somewhere in there between oil changes.

(now where are the "how to run it in" posts? strange we didn't have any yet hahahaha)
I am using the correct running in technique for my 2013GS i.e. as BMW specify in the manual, it hasn't used a drop of oil so far (540 miles) but I wouldn't really expect it to as this is a modern water cooled engine, using modern materials, unlike the older GSes that had sloppy pistons and ran on dino oil
UK_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #7415
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Max waiting for before/after pics of the side (preferably both sides) and front.

Best way for proper scaling is the known distance between wheel centers.
Don't just size them similarly.
Here you go. As per request.

Max :-)

Source: BMW Motorrad (Press Kit)
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #7416
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Quote:

Just curious. Some people for sure are pas the break in, so there might be some info. Never owned a boxer before, so I was bit concerned after reading reports of 1l/1000km oil consumption. Almost like a two stroke ;)

Regarding break in, don't troll ;) You really want to provoke 'easy riding/ride it hard/follow the manual/slay a chicken and add 5 drops of blood to oil while chanting WOLOLOLO in low voice' discussion ? :P

Max, nice comparison. Especially the front view. Reminds me of those fat people before/after pics. New GS has cheek bones ;)
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #7417
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Here you go. As per request.
Thanks man.
When you find the time, add the pre-facelift version too, that many of us have.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #7418
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
Just curious. Some people for sure are pas the break in, so there might be some info. Never owned a boxer before, so I was bit concerned after reading reports of 1l/1000km oil consumption. Almost like a two stroke ;)

Regarding break in, don't troll ;) You really want to provoke 'easy riding/ride it hard/follow the manual/slay a chicken and add 5 drops of blood to oil while chanting WOLOLOLO in low voice' discussion ? :P

Max, nice comparison. Especially the front view. Reminds me of those fat people before/after pics. New GS has cheek bones ;)
1lt/1000km? Yikes!
I don't think 1200GS ever had that consumption.
I think 500ml/5000km is more normal (which actually means you don't need to fill it up as is per specs).
Old 03-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #7419
avalher
Life is Good.

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loboe View Post

Maybe someday I can own another 4-speed Super Beetle...but until then, I have the GSA...and that's all I need. That, and this lamp...and this paddle ball. And that's all I need.
.....and your remote control....
Old 03-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #7420
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about the oil consumption on the new 1200GS LC. Because of the precision cooling technology BMW Motorrad has been able to narrow down the tolerances between the piston and the cylinder compared to the oil/air cooled engine. According to BMW Motorrad's own statements they expect oil consumption to be very low.

Both of my 2012 oil/air cooled 1200GS uses a little bit of oil which is less than 50ml per 1000 km. In between the 10000 km services I only top up the oil one or two times with 100-200 ml oil. Total consumption on my bikes is less than 0,5 liter per 10000 km. I can live with that. However, I have found that the oil consumption is most significant when riding a constant speeds of 130-150 km/h (autobahn speeds). A guy from BMW Motorrad gave me explanation that at constant speeds above 120 km/h oil is being sucked by the seal around the exhaust valve. My experience is that when I ride on small and twisty roads where the revs goes up and down and gears are changed a lot then my bike doesn't use any oil but a 1000 km ride on the autobahn with high constant speeds oil consumption is noticeable. Not alarming but noticeable.

I have never heard of anyone with a newer boxer that uses one liter of oil per 1000 km not even close. When I run in my new boxers I always do the first 1000 km like this: Very short trips (max 50 km) with less then 5.000 rpm's using all gears. Let the engine cool down to totally cold in between these short trips. Heating up and cooling down is the trick. Well, thats what I found.

We will see how the new 1200GS LC work out regarding oil consumption. Lets get the snow out of the way, so we can get going.

Max :-)

MaxReving screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 09:29 AM
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #7421
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalher View Post
.....and your remote control....
Glad someone caught on.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #7422
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Eh? sorry, i can not let that get by...... ! ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Engineer View Post
I am using the correct running in technique for my 2013GS i.e. as BMW specify in the manual, it hasn't used a drop of oil so far (540 miles) but I wouldn't really expect it to as this is a modern water cooled engine, using modern materials, unlike the older GSes that had sloppy pistons and ran on dino oil
I beg to differ KIND SIR! I even take umbrage to your statement. ( AS MRS SLOCOME WOULD SAY) I have been riding Max Fritz design since 1972. I can not even say how many miles. I have owned no less than 20 different model BMW's in that time. A few of them were K bikes. The K75 was one of the best. During the 90's ( when the world was a far better place than today in terms of the economy) We rode the thunderation out of those bikes. Never ..I mean NEVER was to much oil consumption a problem. YES, like anything man made there can be a problem....but that was rare indeed. The Engines R259, that started in production circa 1993-1994 were and still are some of the best engines ever made. DINO OIL- SCHMINO-OIL... i use Royal Purple Lubricants. You Can not find better!!!!! In my R259 Engines I never added oil between changes. I raced in the battle of the twins category too, so they were not babied. Countless bikes have over 200,000 MILES ( not KM either) and still run strong and need no oil between changes. If you find the rare one that does have problems, it most always can be traced to ham-fisted ownership
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #7423
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
So what about topics like that ?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504643
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #7424
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Do four and six cylinder boxers count?
I think so, OK, I've forgotten about Honda!
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #7425
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Quote:
I see 'em and raise you:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm