ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #7441
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Wirral, UK
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
A question to all you guys that already did few kilometers on new bikes. How's the oil consumption ?
I can't comment about oil consumption because I have only done 150 miles in the two days I have had the bike. However, I can say that the oil level in the sight glass shows no variation no matter how I have stopped the engine, even when started for a minute or two and then stopped - previous boxers would show NO oil in the sight glass under these conditions.

Conclusion? maybe we will have no more messing about with 'apparent' changes in oil level. In an earlier post of mine I wondered whether these inconsistencies were due to oil being trapped in the oil cooler and associated pipework.

Anyone else noticed the same?
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #7442
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
So that I upped oil three times (that I even know why I burned some oil in all three cases) in 6 years on my own bike is "denial"?

Erm... ok.
Whatever you say.

You can read the forums as well as I can. Your individual experience does not make a very good statistical sample. There is a lot of variability in the boxer engines and some burn a lot of oil. Overall, I'd say boxers burn quite a bit more than other engines. Hopefully the new one will be improved in that regard.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #7443
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
You can read the forums as well as I can. Your individual experience does not make a very good statistical sample. There is a lot of variability in the boxer engines and some burn a lot of oil. Overall, I'd say boxers burn quite a bit more than other engines. Hopefully the new one will be improved in that regard.
True. Still, mine doesn't burn oil and none that I personally know.
Yes I can read the forums.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #7444
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
I can't comment about oil consumption because I have only done 150 miles in the two days I have had the bike. However, I can say that the oil level in the sight glass shows no variation no matter how I have stopped the engine, even when started for a minute or two and then stopped - previous boxers would show NO oil in the sight glass under these conditions.

Conclusion? maybe we will have no more messing about with 'apparent' changes in oil level. In an earlier post of mine I wondered whether these inconsistencies were due to oil being trapped in the oil cooler and associated pipework.

Anyone else noticed the same?
Have you posted pictures on here yet Paul?
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW (on order)
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #7445
khale
ride dirty
 
khale's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
You can read the forums as well as I can. Your individual experience does not make a very good statistical sample. There is a lot of variability in the boxer engines and some burn a lot of oil. Overall, I'd say boxers burn quite a bit more than other engines. Hopefully the new one will be improved in that regard.
Mine was burning through about a quart every few thousand miles when it was below 20k miles... It ain't doing that anymore at 39k.
__________________
2013 BMW R1200 GSW | 1972 BMW R75/5 toaster | 2011 Husky TE310
"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #7446
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Wirral, UK
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Have you posted pictures on here yet Paul?
Ermm, no not yet
Only took two pics on Sunday when I collected my bike but they aren't that good (unlike yours) so decided to keep quiet. Hopefully, when I'm out over Easter??
paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #7447
khale
ride dirty
 
khale's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 555
Touratech question

Hey guys,
Looking at getting a few protective farkles for my new GS/LC. I'm a little hesitatant to drop serious cash on the crash bars, but am interested in the low profile cylinder head guards:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...n-Water-Cooled
Any pro's and con's to these vs crash bars?
Going to pick up the radiator guards in silver as well.
__________________
2013 BMW R1200 GSW | 1972 BMW R75/5 toaster | 2011 Husky TE310
"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #7448
IB1
Studly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
As a "little guy" (5-8, 145), whenever I've test-ridden GS's, I've always been somewhat intimidated by the "largeness" of the bike when pushing it around (e.g. turning it around in my garage).

So a question for those of you who have test-ridden the new GS: what is your opinion of the "largeness" of the bike when manually pushing it around? Does it feel in any way "lighter" or "smaller" than the previous GS? About the same? Even larger? I know it's a tad heavier, but perhaps all mass is not created equal...

--Doc
From a smaller guy to a small guy. I ordered mine with low suspension. It is lower than my current beamer.
And I weigh about the same as you and are (if I can convert it correctly) about 5"7 (or even a little less).
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #7449
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it
 
kindofblue's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Albuquerque NM
Oddometer: 822
Thumb engine guards

The SW-Motech crash guards on my 08 GS prevented damage to the head when I got blown over by a 60+ mph wind gust while stopped and on the shoulder of a road while officiating a bike race a couple years ago. The guards and my Jesse bags were essentially unscathed after the tip over. I don't think Toutech's engine guards would've helped in this instance.

Will I get a set of engine guards if I get a new GS? You betcha. Of course, YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Hey guys,
Looking at getting a few protective farkles for my new GS/LC. I'm a little hesitatant to drop serious cash on the crash bars, but am interested in the low profile cylinder head guards:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...n-Water-Cooled
Any pro's and con's to these vs crash bars?
Going to pick up the radiator guards in silver as well.
__________________
Doc Reid
2013 GS LC Red (the fastest color )
Wondering about your drinking? www.drinkerscheckup.com
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #7450
Bazgab
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bazgab's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Hey guys,
Looking at getting a few protective farkles for my new GS/LC. I'm a little hesitatant to drop serious cash on the crash bars, but am interested in the low profile cylinder head guards:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...n-Water-Cooled
Any pro's and con's to these vs crash bars?
Going to pick up the radiator guards in silver as well.
I have both the cylinder guards and the crash bars on order, don't know if it is overkill or not but I figured I would give it a shot (as well as a few other smaller things, like the radiator guards). I had the upper crash bars on preorder as well but I couldn't get over the look of them so I took them off my order. Last I heard, everything in my order is in stock other than the crash bars, but it doesn't matter as it is looking more and more like it will be mid-May before I see my bike.
Bazgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #7451
paulW
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Wirral, UK
Oddometer: 143
It's a red TE like all the others

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Have you posted pictures on here yet Paul?
OK RichBMW, mine is a red TE with panniers, BMW engine bars and the 'high' seat.





Added the following myself . . .

Cross brace from a previous GSA



Tax Disc - especially for you



Power socket fed from battery (fused)

paulW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #7452
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
Hey guys,
Looking at getting a few protective farkles for my new GS/LC. I'm a little hesitatant to drop serious cash on the crash bars, but am interested in the low profile cylinder head guards:
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...n-Water-Cooled
Any pro's and con's to these vs crash bars?
Going to pick up the radiator guards in silver as well.
Yes, don't expect the same kind of protection as crashbars.
These are mostly for cosmetic damages. In a serious crash I believe they are even a liability (as they can push and hit the cover).
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #7453
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
The SW-Motech crash guards on my 08 GS prevented damage to the head when I got blown over by a 60+ mph wind gust while stopped and on the shoulder of a road while officiating a bike race a couple years ago. The guards and my Jesse bags were essentially unscathed after the tip over. I don't think Toutech's engine guards would've helped in this instance.

Will I get a set of engine guards if I get a new GS? You betcha. Of course, YMMV.
Same thing... twice.
One car drove out from STOP sign right ON TO me.
40 days later, police car opened the door right in front of me hitting it EDGE first (not 90 degrees open!)...

In both cases boxer then my H&B crash bars saved the day.
(and I still have right foot)
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #7454
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
OK RichBMW, mine is a red TE with panniers, BMW engine bars and the 'high' seat.





Added the following myself . . .

Cross brace from a previous GSA



Tax Disc - especially for you



Power socket fed from battery (fused)

Nice one, thanks Paul. I do like it in red
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW (on order)
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #7455
khale
ride dirty
 
khale's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulW View Post
Tax Disc - especially for you


Man, it's quite unfortunate you guys have to have a 'tax disc' on your bike. Really kills the aesthetic...
Great looking bike tho! I'm getting the same color
__________________
2013 BMW R1200 GSW | 1972 BMW R75/5 toaster | 2011 Husky TE310
"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014