Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #7486
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
But does the alarm automatically switch off when the key is inserted ?
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:16 AM   #7487
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
yep
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:39 AM   #7488
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Ahh the technology nowadays That's nice. Trying to push tiny remote button on the weestrom in gloves and by mistake hitting the other one and turning on the siren instead is driving me mad. This will be a really pleasant change.
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #7489
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
You put your own DRL.
There is a part number for the German DRL which fits right in that space...had parts guy at my BMW dealer look it up...appx $210...that space definitely needs something..as many have stated "let the farkling begin"....will find part number and post it...not sure if it is a straiforward plug in on non Euro models??
grahamspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #7490
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
No (read below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Read on a German GS forum that the new anti theft system does not come with a remote control anymore. You activate it via the on-board computer. I find that hard to believe because the remote on the old model was useful.
True. The new anti-theft alarm does NOT come with a remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
I've heard alarm being pain in the rear. Now if BMW had come with keyless ignition, then I think it wouldn't be a bad idea. Not sure why they didn't make it keyless already. What's the holdup?
I have just gone through the anti-theft alarm on a demo bike. Here is how it works:

The anti-theft alarm does not come with a remote.

Via the onboard computer your setup the automatically activation of the alarm. If the automatically activation of the alarm is not on then you have to activate the alarm manually via the onboard computer while the ignition is on. If you setup the alarm to automatically activation then the alarm automatically turns on after 30 seconds when you turn off the ignition. If you leave the key in the lock after you turn off the ignition the alarm will still turn on automatically after 30 seconds.

In both cases the alarm is turned off again when you insert the key in the lock AND turn the ignition on.

In case you have setup the alarm to automatically activation then you can manually turn off the alarm using the onboard computer and two clicks on the switch. Same reverse procedure to turn on the automatically activation again.

This means that if you choose to setup the automatically activation of the alarm then you have two options when pushing your bike around in order to avoid the alarm to go off. Either you insert the key in the lock AND turn on the ignition or you manually turn off the alarm in the onboard computer. If you choose to turn off the alarm in the onboard computer then you have to manually turn it on again. Same procedure when you park your bike on a ferry or anything that moves (train etc.).

Is this any good. I think so. Auto activation is simple. Turn off ignition and take out key and walk away. Alarm is on. Insert key and turn on ignition. Alarm is off. Manually turn on and off alarm with two clicks in onboard computer.

Thats it.

Max :-)

MaxReving screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 05:35 AM
MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 AM   #7491
MaxReving
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Great news, if this is right then it seams as if the software update for the onboard computer/instrument has been released and is now being installed at the dealers.

Can anybody else confirm this?

Software update has been installed on all 1200GS LC assembled after March 6th 2013. Which means that all these bikes will be provided with the coding plug (EnduroPro mode and memory function) right from the factory. All owners of bikes prior to this date need to require the coding plug and get the software updated by their dealer. Dealers will have to order those coding plugs from BMW Motorrad.

The coding plug does not contain any technology or memory function. It is just a very simple connector that bridge the wires that connects to the coding plug. The coding plug is not bike specific and can therefore be used on all 1200GS LC and even the coding plug from the BMW S1000RR can be used on the 1200GS LC.

MaxReving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #7492
kaiserlover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
bangkok motor show report

i put my deposit down on the water cooled in october last year. like the rest of you i have been reading and watching videos while the long wait continues. i was just told today that the first shipment will be delayed another month.
in thailand the bike fully loaded is 1,222,222.00 baht. [about 43,000.00 usd]. there are only 4 dealers here all controlled by the same group. the price is non-negotiable. also whatever bmw thailand orders is what you get. for me that means premium plus package with low seat option. i am 6'ft tall. so i have to buy a normal seat in addition. they add the wire wheels with that as well. ok not great but if you want it is what it is. here i can't even demo the bike and can't order the bike the way i want.
here's the thing. bmw has grown in my opinion some huge balls. it does not tell anyone when the bikes are coming and in everyones case has taken money with a promise. a promise that can be broken at any given time. i am in the import export business. if i want to ship something somewhere i have to provide documents to the government and customs deptments on both sides of the oceans. that means what it is, the price, the weight, the color, materials,etc. bmw does not know how many bikes they will ship and when? WTF? am i not entitled to at least a little courtesy? what about you? customers of mine would sue me if pulled that crap.
anyway i have some good news and some bad news. the good news is that the babes here are looking as hot as you can imagine and they are plentiful. the bad news is i was very disappointed by some of the things on the bike. the first thing i saw after the babe on the bike was the wire spoke wheels. this finish on the rims is at best 3rd rate. tumbled and sandblasted with a glass bead finish. [a way to make it frosty] the cheapest way to create an even finish. the same goes for the chrome exhaust. looked cheap and inappropriate . ok on a chinese bike i expect it. bmw castle in the sky has just moved to bejing. the best of the hall of shame will have to go the sidestand design the front part of it maybe decribes it all. it is sand casted!!! best of all it not even finished just painted. all the weld joints were sloppy at best. it is a joke.
ergonomics of the dash suck as well. gps mount does block the tach as previously posted. some jackass was in charge of that foe sure. the dash is much smaller than i thought it would be. it looks to small for the scale of the bike. that goes for the windshield as well. good on a honda scooter maybe. to each their own.
i'm thinking ducati right now. demo,yes. order what you want,yes. price is 30% cheaper and looks just as good. delivered may 1-7 yes. what do you think? former fanboy
kaiserlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #7493
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxReving View Post
Is this any good. I think so. Auto activation is simple. Turn off ignition and take out key and walk away. Alarm is on. Insert key and turn on ignition. Alarm is off. Manually turn on and off alarm with two clicks in onboard computer.

Thats it.

Exactly like my 07 and stock alarm (but set to auto-activate).
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #7494
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserlover View Post
i put my deposit down on the water cooled in october last year. like the rest of you i have been reading and watching videos while the long wait continues. i was just told today that the first shipment will be delayed another month.
in thailand the bike fully loaded is 1,222,222.00 baht. [about 43,000.00 usd]. there are only 4 dealers here all controlled by the same group. the price is non-negotiable. also whatever bmw thailand orders is what you get. for me that means premium plus package with low seat option. i am 6'ft tall. so i have to buy a normal seat in addition. they add the wire wheels with that as well. ok not great but if you want it is what it is. here i can't even demo the bike and can't order the bike the way i want.
here's the thing. bmw has grown in my opinion some huge balls. it does not tell anyone when the bikes are coming and in everyones case has taken money with a promise. a promise that can be broken at any given time. i am in the import export business. if i want to ship something somewhere i have to provide documents to the government and customs deptments on both sides of the oceans. that means what it is, the price, the weight, the color, materials,etc. bmw does not know how many bikes they will ship and when? WTF? am i not entitled to at least a little courtesy? what about you? customers of mine would sue me if pulled that crap.
anyway i have some good news and some bad news. the good news is that the babes here are looking as hot as you can imagine and they are plentiful. the bad news is i was very disappointed by some of the things on the bike. the first thing i saw after the babe on the bike was the wire spoke wheels. this finish on the rims is at best 3rd rate. tumbled and sandblasted with a glass bead finish. [a way to make it frosty] the cheapest way to create an even finish. the same goes for the chrome exhaust. looked cheap and inappropriate . ok on a chinese bike i expect it. bmw castle in the sky has just moved to bejing. the best of the hall of shame will have to go the sidestand design the front part of it maybe decribes it all. it is sand casted!!! best of all it not even finished just painted. all the weld joints were sloppy at best. it is a joke.
ergonomics of the dash suck as well. gps mount does block the tach as previously posted. some jackass was in charge of that foe sure. the dash is much smaller than i thought it would be. it looks to small for the scale of the bike. that goes for the windshield as well. good on a honda scooter maybe. to each their own.
i'm thinking ducati right now. demo,yes. order what you want,yes. price is 30% cheaper and looks just as good. delivered may 1-7 yes. what do you think? former fanboy
I won't discuss the quality issues you mention (I don't agree about BMW quality being bad - on the contrary).

I will discuss the whole other thing. What you describe is ALL CR*P from your local importer. It is PATHETIC. Don't blame BMW for this. I would never accept such treatment. I wonder why anybody is not writing to BMW Motorrad Germany about this situation.

Be good with whatever bike you get in the future.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #7495
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserlover View Post
No comments about the quality here.

But over here the dealers are quite a bit different. We have the luxury of choise. All bikes are built to order. For demo bikes or bikes from the showroom you will probably have to wait one year before they sell those. Besides, over here there is some kind of competition between the dealers and between brands. Most GS drivers are rather loyal, but if the dealers treat them badly we have no problem going for a triumph, ducati or a japanese alternative. But we do know it is a busy time for the dealers at this moment since they do receive lots of new GSes with lots of anxious owners waiting and they don't know the shipping details from BMW.

BTW. Insurance is done and I know my new license plate. Now waiting for the bike.
IB1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #7496
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamspc View Post
There is a part number for the German DRL which fits right in that space...had parts guy at my BMW dealer look it up...appx $210...that space definitely needs something..as many have stated "let the farkling begin"....will find part number and post it...not sure if it is a straiforward plug in on non Euro models??
Cool!
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #7497
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
yep
What I like about the old remote was that you could trigger it from the house/hotel...in case you forgot arming it or just to make the signals blink, I think BMW could have included it on the 2013 but not that important I suppose (could have been integrated in the key as well).
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #7498
Jaqen H'ghar
Valar Morgoulis

Oddometer: 196
I'm sure these 3 questions have been covered extensively but I can't find the answers anywhere in this thread and I've read like 90% of it's 500 pages so here goes:
1.) Are the alloy wheels tube or tubeless? I know this may be a stupid question to some but I would like to confirm that they are tubeless. (
2.) Are the turn signals self canceling? (I think I read that somewhere but I can't confirm it).
3.) Since the new GS has all the latest tech, all the latest electronics, why would they use the Garmin Zumo/BMW NavIV GPS? This Nav system is rather dated, isn't it? I'm sure the software has all been updated but its the only thing on this bike thats rather outdated by now, all the new cool stuff on this bike and my GPS will be old school.

2014 R1200 RT
Jaqen H'ghar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #7499
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numnuts View Post
I'm sure these 3 questions have been covered extensively but I can't find the answers anywhere in this thread and I've read like 90% of it's 500 pages so here goes:
1.) Are the alloy wheels tube or tubeless? I know this may be a stupid question to some but I would like to confirm that they are tubeless. (
2.) Are the turn signals self canceling? (I think I read that somewhere but I can't confirm it).
3.) Since the new GS has all the latest tech, all the latest electronics, why would they use the Garmin Zumo/BMW NavIV GPS? This Nav system is rather dated, isn't it? I'm sure the software has all been updated but its the only thing on this bike thats rather outdated by now, all the new cool stuff on this bike and my GPS will be old school.
All wheels work with tubeless tires.
Signals are self cancelling.
No idea. they still work with garmin and the 660 (nav 4) is currently still their best/most expensive offer
IB1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #7500
airhawk1
Asspad Tycoon

Oddometer: 25
Got Mine Saturday; 12" of Snow Sunday

I did manage to get in about 75 miles in on the way back from Gateway BMW. First impression is very positive -- this new motor REALLY rocks! Handling is greatly improved as well; love the cruise control and the improved instrumentation. The only complaint and it's minor, is that the GPS factory mounting is located a tad too low and it obscures the top portion of the tach. I can see the bottom of the needle and it gives me a pretty good idea of where I am in the range -- but when breaking in a new bike I want to make sure not to exceed 5 k RPM for awhile.
airhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote